Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hayrobo
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2016, 10:37 am

I had always vaguely assumed it was just another synonym for pansexual (I was thinking "homo sapiens" --> "sapio-" without thinking of what "sapiens" actually meant)... good to know!

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 3:01 pm

OK, I'm back and had time to read the post. so, just gonna summarize and ask questions as they come up.

First question though, what is your age if I may ask. Only makes a difference in how things are framed. Just like your example of the word queer and the beer bottle. Not only age, but location can make a difference. I was talking to my wife one day. She informed that there were no gay people in China. I got to pop that bubble real quick (yay research and a special interest LOL) by showing her one of her modern day cultural icons: Xing Jin

She did not know that Xing Jin is a post op transgender woman. She served in the military and was out even then, but tolerated because of cultural relevance. A better broad history can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Xing

So, things like can influence things....

OK...I like idea of appropriation and not burial of terms. So, I now understand that it is more of a social thing, a choice to live outside the norms, or, did I bollix that up? If I didn't, it's really a return to the original meaning of just 'different'. Odd would fit that by definition, but it sounds demeaning.

Beau Bridges example: That's good to know because it was part of the genderqueer question. I'm born male, I identify female, but like females...so is that 'queer'? That was the confusion.

But, I take your meaning. Here's the thing. My senses align a bit strangely. I can't tell you how many times I've been attracted to someone, and then when I got around them (proximity, nothing else) and it would just go away or turn to revulsion. I think I have a hypertuned pheromone detector or something.

As I mentioned before, I am attracted to femininity. Not like girly girl. But just not manly types. I don't know how to say it otherwise. But, I can say with certainty that if the scent and other things I don't actively notice, are right, I can be turned towards attraction. The reverse of the previous example across a room. Someone comes over that I'm not attracted to and then wham! I feel it.

Now, here's a question. As I mull things over. The wife has left me. I am in a new position emotionally and mentally than ever before and I am trying to figure what areas to explore.

So, if I go into a bar of any persuasion, and you really want to meet someone....how do you just not be a total idiot? Now, keep in mind, I ain't seen the inside a' no bar since I was still thinking about things. Just can't stand those type of places. But, I hope you get the idea. I have areas I would like to explore for real. No side show, let's sow wild oats BS. I really want to get to know people to see if my curiosity is just that.

I also don't want to turn someone else into my social experiment.

And, I'm 55 so that puts me in the really stupid areas of life when thinking about things as mundane as meeting people.

It's a mess. But, thank you for your input. It has been most valuable. :heart: :heart:

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8