Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Piscesfish
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2016, 3:03 am

Hi! Do you guys know of any UK based sites or advisors that could help with career progression? I'm stuck in an admin job despite having a stem degree. Tried the academic research path but there wasn't enough clear and specific direction given for me to succeed. I had a breakdown in the end. I had to get a job, any job, so I fell back on office temping. It started off OK as it was temporary but it's been a year and a half and now I'm totally burned out from repetitive unchallenging work and can't see a way out. I have tried so many times to find work that doesn't burn me out and a career/lifestyle that makes some sort of sense but I don't get anywhere. This job felt like it for a while but I have nowhere to go for progressing to a higher pay grade (small company only 4 employees). I'd have to change jobs and the settling in period would be brutal like it was in this job. For the first month I could barely sleep with all the information overload going round in my head. There's that and also admin itself is not a well paid career. I'd have to switch into something else but it's not clear what. I keep searching careers sites but I'm 30 and feel like I'm too far behind to catch up. I've been suicidal for 8 months now and know I can't continue like this much longer. I need help. Thanks! PS. I've posted this in the women's area because I'd like help from other women. I've found the male-biased Aspie career advice is about 50% relevant to me. I'd really like to hear from other women who have the experience of being female in the workplace and dealing with those horrendously complex social norms and brutally high expectations around small talk and non verbal responses etc. Thanks!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 6:52 pm

Do you still want to work in stem?
Maybe it would be more stimulating for you to work in stem, and social demands are less in stem.