SJW - What would be a good literal name for them?

Page 1 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:35 am

Social Justice Warrior. The name is everything they are not while at the same time what they would have you believe they are. That's the point. The changes they would make would be the complete opposite of social justice, there's no justice here. And the methods they use to try to bring that change are about as far away from what you would associate with a warrior as you can get, especially the positive associations. Sometimes you can at least respect an enemy, the way they conduct themselves. There's nothing to respect here. Pure Machiavellianism. Anything to win. ANYTHING. No level too low to stoop to. Path of least resistance over the right path every single time. The furthest thing in the World from a warrior.

But this subtlety escapes some people. Social Justice Warrior doesn't really sound like a bad thing without context, does it? I wonder if there's a better label for these people. We have some more literal ones like Regressive Left. Crybullies works quite well, but if I hadn't had the context before seeing the word, I wonder if I'd have understood what it means or not? Is it a powerful descriptor to the uninitiated or an oxymoron that doesn't make sense? Is there something better at describing them in a nutshell? Any ideas? Would be useful to have something like that in my back pocket to quickly describe them. I'm not looking to replace SJW. In time, I think the meaning will be widely fully understood.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:53 am

Scum ?

S = Social
C = Cultural
U = Universal
M = Marxists

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 8:02 am

That doesn't do it for me.

It's funny, I was going to say something along the lines of "I could just call them scum, but I want something more discriptive than than that." in my OP at one point.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Apr 2016, 8:04 am

They are quite literally cultural Marxists, useful idiots led astray by the Communist agitators we employ in academia.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 9:34 am

The Red Army of Idiots? Hive minded keyboard warriors?

I can think of worse things to call them, but that's a start. Focusing on stupid things instead of real world issues and problems. Like, they care more about if a women is showing cleavage in a movie or a game, instead of women being subjugated in third world countries.

Makes no bloody sense to me

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 12:47 pm

Jacoby wrote:
They are quite literally cultural Marxists, useful idiots led astray by the Communist agitators we employ in academia.

Do you also believe fluoridation in tap water is a form of communist mind control?

Calling everyone who espouses liberal political beliefs a "marxist" or "communist" is kind of stupid. It's like those people who like calling every right-winger a nazi.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:19 pm

Hypocrites? Granted I think it is good to be aware of social issues and problems in the world, and do your part to contribute less to those or raise awareness if you want.

But there are a lot of people that will talk about stuff like that and act like they're some great person because maybe they're a vegan in opposition to cruelty to animals or a feminist, or this or that but then they have an attitude that they can be as belligerent and nasty as they want and treat people as crappy as they'd like because, dammit they stand for a good cause. Are these the kind of SJWs you mean?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:26 pm

Cry-Bullies
Witch-Finders
Commissars
Thought Police

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:27 pm

Jacoby wrote:

:roll: communist agitators, that doesn't even make sense communism is an economic system.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:28 pm

Barchan wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Do you also believe fluoridation in tap water is a form of communist mind control?

Calling everyone who espouses liberal political beliefs a "marxist" or "communist" is kind of stupid. It's like those people who like calling every right-winger a nazi.

I'd have to agree.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Hypocrites? Granted I think it is good to be aware of social issues and problems in the world, and do your part to contribute less to those or raise awareness if you want.

But there are a lot of people that will talk about stuff like that and act like they're some great person because maybe they're a vegan in opposition to cruelty to animals or a feminist, or this or that but then they have an attitude that they can be as belligerent and nasty as they want and treat people as crappy as they'd like because, dammit they stand for a good cause. Are these the kind of SJWs you mean?

Yes. But also thinking about the really egregious stuff they do. Doctored or outright false statistics, labelling people all kinds of things to get them out of the way, vicious dogpiling when they have the numbers, attacking free speech itself, getting power and abusing it. The identity politics, the groupthink, the absolutes, the dogma, the corruption of the new generation in academia, things that make them really harmful and dangerous.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:40 pm

Secular
Jehovah's
Witnesses

I say that as someone who responds to demands to check my privilege and be a good ally exactly the same as I do to question about my relationship with Jehovah, as I think the two are closer in mindset that either of the groups would like to admit. Also, it annoys the hell out of them, which seems like fair turnabout. :lol:

Really though, I mostly just drop the 'warrior' part and refer to the social justice crowd or brigade as a way of distinguishing them from normal progressive types, who I don't want to lump together; makes it harder to pigeonhole me as a safely ignored right winger.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:47 pm

Drake wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Yes. But also thinking about the really egregious stuff they do. Doctored or outright false statistics, labelling people all kinds of things to get them out of the way, vicious dogpiling when they have the numbers, attacking free speech itself, getting power and abusing it. The identity politics, the groupthink, the absolutes, the dogma, the corruption of the new generation in academia, things that make them really harmful and dangerous.

Alright but its not the whole new generation, there are some B.S social theories or whatever in academia, but really I don't think anyone's getting beat up on the streets by gangs of acedemics or that these fringe things have become things the majority of college students/graduates believe. Or that they are actively taking over as we speak. I mean how are you going to gain power when your attitude makes people want to stay away from you rather then have an open mind to what you want to say...I mean these people can't even help attacking each other, doubt they could bring themselves to get along and minimize drama enough to actively gain control of the masses.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:50 pm

First rule of Cultural Marxism: There is no such thing as Cultural Marxism. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Apr 2016, 2:20 pm

It's not red baiting, Cultural Marxism is a thing and it was born of and sustains itself in academia. Critical theory is at the center of most of the 'SJW' movement, that is a Marxist theory and we've allowed it to implant itself all across our country in academia insulated from the reality we all live in where it finds a whole army of useful idiots that have been indoctrinated their entire lives.

Education in this country needs a huge overhaul, these people are even worse than mythic welfare queens of lore because they are subversive agitators as well as parasites that leave our nation's youth tens of thousands even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for useless degrees. Federally guaranteed student loans are the problem, it's not liberating but enslaving and it doesn't even matter if you don't participate in it since they'll make it the point where you have no choice. One big scam. We've built these mammoth coliseums and almost literal ivory castles on these campuses over these last few decades but look at what the actual education given to our children in our poor inner cities and rural communities throughout this country which completely fails them and prepares them for life of crime, drug addiction, and or violence. If your child can amuse them with their performance in the coliseum, maybe they will be blessed with the opportunity to join their ranks otherwise you aint going anywhere boy!

Last edited by Jacoby on 19 Apr 2016, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 2:26 pm

More seriously than my previous post, this is a classic essay and one of the most important online overviews of this topic: "Gramscian Damage" by Eric Raymond:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=260

Quote:
Americans have never really understood ideological warfare. Our gut-level assumption is that everybody in the world really wants the same comfortable material success we have. We use “extremist” as a negative epithet. Even the few fanatics and revolutionary idealists we have, whatever their political flavor, expect everybody else to behave like a bourgeois.

We don’t expect ideas to matter — or, when they do, we expect them to matter only because people have been flipped into a vulnerable mode by repression or poverty. Thus all our divagation about the “root causes” of Islamic terrorism, as if the terrorists’ very clear and very ideological account of their own theory and motivations is somehow not to be believed.

By contrast, ideological and memetic warfare has been a favored tactic for all of America’s three great adversaries of the last hundred years — Nazis, Communists, and Islamists. All three put substantial effort into cultivating American proxies to influence U.S. domestic policy and foreign policy in favorable directions. Yes, the Nazis did this, through organizations like the “German-American Bund” that was outlawed when World War II went hot. Today, the Islamists are having some success at manipulating our politics through fairly transparent front organizations like the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

But it was the Soviet Union, in its day, that was the master of this game. They made dezinformatsiya (disinformation) a central weapon of their war against “the main adversary”, the U.S. They conducted memetic subversion against the U.S. on many levels at a scale that is only now becoming clear as historians burrow through their archives and ex-KGB officers sell their memoirs.

Everyone should bookmark this essay and return to it for study.

There Are Four Lights!