Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What's your diagnosis status right now?
I originally self-dxed but am now officially diagnosed 22%  22%  [ 17 ]
I did not self-dx, but I am officially dxed 23%  23%  [ 18 ]
I am self-dxed and am certain of my self-assessment as ASD 32%  32%  [ 25 ]
I'm semi-self-dxed. Still not completely sure but definitely suspect I'm ASD 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
I'm not sure enough to even venture a self-dx 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 77

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 4:17 pm

unnamed wrote:
I was buying a book on Aspergers at Barnes & Noble the other day, and the cashier said "oh, that's the new trendy diagnosis. So you think you have it?" I said "no, I know I have it." She said "but you don't look anything like they're supposed to look like." A year ago I would have said "what, you mean I don't look smart enough??" but I just smiled and explained a little about AS (thank you, Ritalin)! ! It's pretty funny how unenlightened people are. They assume everyone with AS is a male engineer.

Your last line, especially-thanks for saying it. I keep dreading an exchange like this happening, every time I buy another pile of books on the dx, so far I've been spared clerks' chit-chat.
I'm "normal-looking", whatever that is-no one would ever guess I've an ASD dx.
I'm female, and not an engineer (nor is my mind inclined towards those fields/pursuits).
I voted "not self-dx, but have been officially dx'd". First I heard of it (that there was autism other than "low-functioning" and/or "savant", and that this was being applied to me) was when a shrink said it to me. Took months before I stopped thinking he had lost his mind (for proposing such a notion)-figured he didn't understand me one bit.
EDIT: Flubbed attribution of quote, thought it was TM1, but it was unnamed actually. Ooops.

Last edited by Belfast on 30 Apr 2007, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 6:02 pm

I self dxed after studying not only AS but other possibilities like Social Anxiety.What left me
in no doubt wasn't just the basic criteria of AS but all the obscure secondary traits that can sometimes occur such as having an unusual walk during childhood (e.g. without swinging the arms ) and having Synaesthesia (seeing numbers etc as different colours).As I'm in my 40s
an official dx isn't really practical or worthwhile.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 6:14 pm

Xenon wrote:
I may be self-DX, but I did not come to that decision lightly. It was only after a considerable amount of study. AS is the only thing I've come across that makes sense, that explains all the difficulties I've had inthe past. ADD, ADHD, OCD BiPolar, Anxiety Disorder, Social Phobia, etc., are all poor fits. AS, on the other hand, fits so well that it's scary.

I'm not going to bother with getting an official diagnosis because there would be no advantage in doing so. My health-care benefits would cover only part of the cost of seeing a mental-health professional, plus of course I'd effectively be shopping for a specific diagnosis (which is frowned upon). And if I wind up with someone who has little knowledge of AS (or worse, someone with an anti-AS bias Phenomenon experienced), I'm no farther ahead.

And even if I did get an official DX, it would not make one whit of difference in my life. Except that instead of a whole pile of literature supporting my own assertion that I have AS, it would be a whole pile of literature and the opinion of one health-care professional.

Bingo! Between this and what The Machine said, that explains it. It's going to have to be a diagnosis from the brain before I'd spend my money on it and then what difference does it make at this point? It would probably just come out at work and cause me problems. No thanks. If I needed it for some reason, that would different and to those that do, I think they should get it.

to save me from ruin

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Apr 2007, 6:25 pm

pluto wrote:
I self dxed after studying not only AS but other possibilities like Social Anxiety.What left me
in no doubt wasn't just the basic criteria of AS but all the obscure secondary traits that can sometimes occur such as having an unusual walk during childhood (e.g. without swinging the arms ) and having Synaesthesia (seeing numbers etc as different colours).As I'm in my 40s
an official dx isn't really practical or worthwhile.

I am "semi self DX'ed". Most of the professionals who tried to deal with me
didn't have a clue about autism let alone "High Functioning Autism". Mostly
they pegged me as "mildly ret*d", "developmentally ret*d", "slow learner",
then a few years later it was "antisocial", "hyperactive", then "gifted underachiever".
All this was over thirty years ago. I do not think an official diagnosis will do anything
for me now.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 6:38 am

Self-dx'd in October 2004, officially diagnosed Spring 2005 with Aspergers and diagnosed additionally with ADHD in Summer 2006.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 11:40 am

Well, I tend to fall into a slightly different category. I was actually diagnosed with something else, and I came to realize that the diagnosis was incorrect. Now I'm a self-DXed Aspie, and you couldn't pay me enough to go out looking for a professional diagnosis. I'm wholly convinced that psychiatrists are lazy, useless twits. Sorry, but that's the perception of them that I've gotten.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 1:18 pm

Well asked, Sophist.

I am self-diagnosed, but as I have often written here and elsewhere, it is the result of having two sons who are diagnosed as autistic. Researching autism so that I may best support them, I learned about AS. It caught my attention and so I read extensively about it, including the
Tony Attwood books and adult autobiographical sketches.

And, I came to realize that, in so many cases, I was reading the nightmare that had been my youth and young adulthood.

I know that my sons' autism is a genetic crapshoot between my wife and me, but it is obvious to me that much of it comes from me.

I have discussed all of this in detail at other times on this forum and elsewhere.

At age 57, as a well-paid tenured senior faculty member of a college, it would serve me no real function to get a formal dx, and might interfere with some aspects of my life. And, I certianly would not want some idiot to think that I was now not competent to be a parent.

So, things will remain as they are.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2007, 2:21 pm

Back when I was a pre-schooler in the 80's, a neurologists said that he thought that I might have Tourette Syndrome. But now I think that I have A.S. with Chronic Vocal Tic Disorder as a comorbid.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 2:23 pm

I hate using the words "official" or "officially" in referring to an ASD dx. It make it sound like only those with an "official" dxs have the right to proclaim they have it, and the rest are imposters or something, as if the dx make you ASD or not, not the condition itself. I think that's the flawed logic behind a lot of this heehawing over dx's by many people here - they are passively and unwittingly making that fallacious assumption (having an ASD may make you annoyingly fussy about what *you* presume is right or logical, but it doesn't necessarily make you smart or self-aware). This isn't some elitist game about who's legitimately ASD or not, and those people who do this probably do this in order to overcompensate for some feeling of inadequency on their part. [Damn fools - *this* is why people don't like you, and not becaue you're "different." I hope you know that.]

I prefer the word "formally," because it strikes me as less contentious. To me that just means "I have been formally recognized by the psychological community as having this condition," and not whether someone actually has it or not.

Anyhow, I've rattled off my story several times before. I'm not formally dx'd with AS, but with depression triggered by AS and PTSD. I was dx'd by a psychiatrist and not a psychologist or neurologist. While some snobs would easily sniff at that, at least I can readily say that I have been thoroughly evaluated for other possible psychiatric conditions and know what it is *not* (i.e., personality disorder, pyschosis, etc.). I did tentatively self-dx myself with "some form of autism" as early as 1996, but was never quite sure if I was or not, until I discussed it with my psychiatrist around 1999-2000. Since then, I have never really doubted that I have AS (and specifically AS, and not some other ASD). And if anyone here wishes to doubt that I have AS, they are free to do so, and all the same they can shove it. Afterall, I have AS - as a norm, I don't give a f*** what anyone else thinks.

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2007, 2:25 pm

Well said, Cade...couldn't have put it better!

Cade wrote:
I hate using the words "official" or "officially" in referring to an ASD dx. It make it sound like only those with an "official" dxs have the right to proclaim they have it, and the rest are imposters or something, as if the dx make you ASD or not, not the condition itself. I think that's the flawed logic behind a lot of this heehawing over dx's by many people here - they are passively and unwittingly making that fallacious assumption (having an ASD may make you annoyingly fussy about what *you* presume is right or logical, but it doesn't necessarily make you smart or self-aware). This isn't some elitist game about who's legitimately ASD or not, and those people who do this probably do this in order to overcompensate for some feeling of inadequency on their part. [Damn fools - *this* is why people don't like you, and not becaue you're "different." I hope you know that.]

I prefer the word "formally," because it strikes me as less contentious. To me that just means "I have been formally recognized by the psychological community as having this condition," and not whether someone actually has it or not.

Anyhow, I've rattled off my story several times before. I'm not formally dx'd with AS, but with depression triggered by AS and PTSD. I was dx'd by a psychiatrist and not a psychologist or neurologist. While some snobs would easily sniff at that, at least I can readily say that I have been thoroughly evaluated for other possible psychiatric conditions and know what it is *not* (i.e., personality disorder, pyschosis, etc.). I did tentatively self-dx myself with "some form of autism" as early as 1996, but was never quite sure if I was or not, until I discussed it with my psychiatrist around 1999-2000. Since then, I have never really doubted that I have AS (and specifically AS, and not some other ASD). And if anyone here wishes to doubt that I have AS, they are free to do so, and all the same they can shove it. Afterall, I have AS - as a norm, I don't give a f*** what anyone else thinks.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 2:55 pm

I think when it comes to self diagnosis there is only one question necessary to decide its validity: did you have a complete list of the symptoms before or after finding out about the condition? If it wasn't till afterwards you noticed anything then it might be suspect.

I don't think many of us were exactly surprised since its as obvious to the one having the difficulties as a missing arm your hiding with long sleeves.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 3:53 pm

Cade wrote:

Yes, you're right. "Formal" would've been a better word for me to use because I do feel the same as yourself. My brain was just lacking synonyms at the moment, hehe.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 9:16 pm

Fraya wrote:
I think when it comes to self diagnosis there is only one question necessary to decide its validity: did you have a complete list of the symptoms before or after finding out about the condition? If it wasn't till afterwards you noticed anything then it might be suspect.

I don't think many of us were exactly surprised since its as obvious to the one having the difficulties as a missing arm your hiding with long sleeves.

With me, it was finding an article that had a list of traits commonly found in children with AS, and cold chills went up my spine as I realized that the list was a pretty damn good description of me as a kid. But my inability to "read" other people, my lack of empathy, my total cluelessness when it comes to other people's emotions, my tendency to take things literally, my slight difficulty with face recognition, all these I knew about before I ever heard of AS.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 9:32 pm

Self.

Ater decades of: "What am I?" I found AS and noted:

1. Excepting a couple of questionable traits (lack of sense of humor, inability to use metaphors) I had about all of it.

2. I can find no personality traits within me that are not AS explicable.

3. Suddenly the random unassembled jigsaw puzzle that was my life organizes around the "strange attractor" of AS. Not a pretty picture - but a system.

4. I am not looking for any d advantages.

5. I am a tad paranoid about potential of being forcably medicated in future of US police state.

I will remain sans formal dx. Glad as aguppy to know whar I am!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 9:38 pm

nutbag wrote:
Self.

Ater decades of: "What am I?" I found AS and noted:

1. Excepting a couple of questionable traits (lack of sense of humor, inability to use metaphors) I had about all of it.

2. I can find no personality traits within me that are not AS explicable.

3. Suddenly the random unassembled jigsaw puzzle that was my life organizes around the "strange attractor" of AS. Not a pretty picture - but a system.

4. I am not looking for any d advantages.

5. I am a tad paranoid about potential of being forcably medicated in future of US police state.

I will remain sans formal dx. Glad as aguppy to know whar I am!
Sounds just like me, if you replace five with losing my children.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 9:57 pm

Not self diagnosed, but I'm positive I have an ASD. It is probably likely AS too, but I guess I'll never be 100% sure unless I got an official diagnosis.

Right now I'm not looking for anything official. I think I'm high functioning enough that AS doesn't give me much trouble. However, I'm still living at home and I've never had a job. Things could change for me once I go for a job and move out, and I'm pretty resistant to change. So, I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

If I do have significant trouble becoming independent, I'll probably start looking into a diagnosis because it might help. Right now, it would just serve as a confirmation for me, which would be nice but not necessary. Also I think it's pretty expensive and time consuming to get a diagnosis. Then there's the fact that I'm a female. It might be hard to convince doctors just because of that and I appear pretty normal, and just shy, so I don't know if doctors would believe me anyway.

When I was a kid I was tested by some doctors because of my coordination problems, and from what I have learned they thought I may have been "slightly autistic." The doctors never looked further into it, so I don't know if that counts as a diagnosis or not. Also my mom thought I might have mild tourettes, but now I know that what I was doing was not tics, but stims.