Everybody Is Identical: a response to An Open Letter to the Depressed Aspergian

Page 2 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 11:52 pm

I liked the Infinite Jest quote a lot (especially seeing as I feel quite a kinship with David Foster Wallace personally). In my opinion, it's not the comments of doctors that are the real source of why people on the spectrum feel "more different" than others. It's that neurotypicals tend to live in a mental world whose "structure" is largely defined by social convention. Most of the things they tend to see as important are things that "everybody" has a shared vocabulary for, which creates the illusion of them all living in a large "hive-mind" if you will. But take an autistic whose understanding of the world in childhood was developed in near-isolation--especially if he/she also has a sensory difference such as synesthesia--and this person doesn't have a way to describe this (very real) experience. The comments of doctors only have so much weight when they affirm this everyday experience.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 3:23 am

IncredibleFrog wrote:
mikewhateverm wrote:
However, I know that this will probably spark some controversy, but I believe that another reason not mentioned is there is a stereotype applied to some people on the spectrum that they will be successful mathematicians, scientists, engineers, ect. This is all unproven however, and can lead to false expectations for certain individuals that might be good at small calculations but bad at problem solving (like me) which can cause humiliation. A more in-depth article is at http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/spec ... 196/guest/

I agree! I have a friend who isn't particularly good at math or similar skills, and because of it some people have "doubted" that she could really be autistic, even though she displays all of the typical symptoms. I think there definitely are a lot of people on the autism spectrum who are good at things like math and engineering, but I think a lot of that has to do with their tendencies to hyper obsess on whatever they are interested in. Obviously if your obsession is math, and you do it all the time, you are bound to be pretty good at it. I also think more men are interested in those sorts of things than women, but that may just be because society portrays those as male activities and therefore fewer women take an interest in them.

People with aspergers actually statistically tend to be worse at math, but better at reading, than the general population.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

richardinlover
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2016, 6:38 pm

Text removed by moderator and member banned. He posted a classic catfishing scam post. If any member has received a PM from this jerk, delete it. He may have begun such messages with "Dearest..."

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 7:44 pm

"That’s not to say families don’t need support too, 80 percent of married couples with autistic children get divorced."

Got any data? Because I've read that the 80% divorce for parents of disabled kids is a myth. The actual rate of divorce isn't substantially higher than the general population, I think.

However, spreading that myth can make it more stressful for parents of newly diagnosed kids, because they worry about losing their marriage on top of all their other worries.

T4shp13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2016, 10:23 am

Hear hear!

tamarasherwood
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jun 2016, 4:19 am

This is truly a great forum post thanks for sharing. Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up.

Alanlevirpineda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2016, 1:37 am

I agree with the majority of the article. However, there are scientifically proven differences in the autistic brain. Different active regions , neuron dysfunction in the frontal lobe. Autopsies of scientists and engineers have revealed additional "sensors" which lend to the hypersensitivity, hyper focus, and substantiate the need for sameness. Theory of mind which is where social skills stem from is also not present. Narrow scientific interests that due to the intensity possible by the autistic brain, often leads to advances in the topic being studied. Tesla. Edison. Jobs. Musk.

All high functioning Autistics.
Its a very detailed topic but I will agree we need to celebrate neurodiversity as that will bring about the newness this world needs.
Im no expert but I have learned to use the OCD and hyper focus together when researching scientific topics.
The beauty of it, the human brain can never stop learning .
Division never works.United we stand.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 2:31 pm

mikewhateverm wrote:
Another example is http://reddit.com/r/niceguys, which is centered around this shaming.

You seem to conflate 'nice guys' with 'guys who are nice'. 'Nice guys' are employing a self-defeating and manipulative relationship strategy - they act like door mats in hope someone will be guilted into accepting their romantic interest despite having no interest of their own. It is a shameful behaviour, pointing it out as such shouldn't be treated as something wrong.

No one owes any other person a relationship for any reason. The sooner one outgrows the sense of entitlement that they're owed a relationship the closer they are to being mature enough to try to attempt one.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RitaLucero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2016, 4:40 am

very interesting letter, deep thoughts, thanks

snyder34
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2016, 12:04 pm

Good article :)

tweebs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2016, 11:49 pm

I'm really struggling right now. Been out of hospitals for about 7 years now. Articles is a little bit of help for now. But again, I am slipping. :heart:

QueenoftheOwls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2016, 12:10 pm

:( i AM AN AUTISTIC ADULT, AND I HAVE SUFFERED FROM DEPRESSION MOST OF MY LIFE, EVEN THOUGH BOTH MY AUTISM AND DEPRESSION WERE DIAGNOSED LATE IN LIFE. DEPRESSION AMONG THOSE WITH ASPERGER's IS NOT DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND; BITTER LONELINESS, BEING MISUNDERSTOOD BY SOCIETY AND ASHAMED THAT WE ARE DIFFERENT, INABILITY BY MANY OF US EVER TO FORM INTIMATE RELATIONS, DATE OR MARRY, INABILITY BY MANY OF US TO FINDS OR KEEP A JOB, DESPITE MANY OF US BEING HIGHLY EDUCATED AND INTELLIGENT,OSTRACIZATION, BULLYING, ISOLATION, NOT BELONGING ANYWHERE OR HAVING A PLACE IN WHICH TO THRIVE. CHARLI DEVNET

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 6:37 am

Quote:
Human beings are social creatures. We need each other for emotional support, and having a connection with another person breathes meaning into one’s life. But the odd nature of the autistic personality can sometimes push people away. Isolation begins at a young age. Autistic children are bullied more often than neurotypical children, and become increasingly lonely the older they get. This sort of negative social feedback breeds the anxiety around social issues that many of us feel, and it creates a feedback loop. It doesn’t help that autistic people are more easily traumatized by negative feedback, due to the aforementioned inflated amygdala. This sort of solitude, the way it feels to struggle to find a true human connection, it can shake you to your core. It can make you feel worthless. Why else would nobody be interested in being around you? They must be right about you.

I could almost deal with all of this. The hardest thing that makes me depressed is the sense that I am utterly worthless...that my existence doesn't matter.

Yes, I know that in the grand scheme of things, most everyone doesn't really matter, but most people have a sense of belonging...of value...to the community they live in. Feeling as if my life was some kind of mistake (or at worst, a cruel joke) is what makes it unbearable.

nina_king
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm

Great insights. My 18 year old son is going though this.

Osa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2016, 9:48 pm

Our sensitivities that can be such a burden can also be opportunities, to explore sensory worlds that are not readily available to NTs. I've found my release, my sanity, in nature where I feel completely at home, embraced. I recharge, then bundle up, and dive back into society for another dose of frazzle. It would be nice to have a space to be open with others, without having to play games that are such a struggle. It would be nice to live in a community that appreciates and supports our differences, all differences.

Kate4432kate4432
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jul 2016, 3:12 am

I suffer from depression and anxiety, and it is hard for people I know to understand or even beleive that it is happening. I dont know if it this way for others on the spectrum, but my outward "emotional appearance" is so "flat", that no one really noticed when I fell off the deep end.

The hardest part for me in seeking help was physically getting help. It took me almost a month to tell my then partner, that I was struggleing, and another two months before I was ready to see a doctor about it. It is hard enough for me to talk to strangers, especially ones of authority, so approaching my doctor about the subject was a horrible experiance I tried very hard to avoid. To make everything worse, I was afraid that the medication would make me even more "flat" and reduce my sex drive further (if that is possible), because I researched all the medications I coould find and read that some people have that issue. I was terrified that the medication would put me into regression, and I would be again unable to handle another person's touch.

Luckliy these fears were all proven invalid, and instead of regressing I think I have actually made some headway. I hope more people on the spectrum find a way to reach out if they need to, Its hard but its worth it to get releif.