Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Apr 2007, 9:37 am

Graelwyn wrote:
I am wondering how many others here still have a certain childlike wonder at the more simple things in life, like the shapes of plants, the way animals behave, the sky, the sun and water, not to mention the power of the elements. I find that these things all bring me alive, and often when I go out, I get drawn to looking closely at plants or at a bird I hear singing in a tree and I could look at water for hours. I find these things give me more pleasure than any manmade, material things ever can.

Sometimes it's the simple things that stir up the most profound thoughts, or to quote
William Blake to "find infinity in a grain of sand", from the Auguries of Innocence:
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.

http://www.poetryfeast.com/auguries-of-innocence/

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 9:47 am

You are describing me perfectly! I love animals, especially cats. When I am with my cats, I laugh at the entertaining things they do, cuddle with them and just enjoy their presence. I couldn't imagine life without animals, especially cats. I like dogs too but, as I am rather short, I couldn't handle a really large dog.

I can also lose myself in a good book. I read books on virtually every subject from cats to athletics to medical issues.

Yes, the simple pleasures are the best!

BigT
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2007, 9:56 am

Well, I can safely say "Yes I do this" but I can't really say much more, considering you described it accurately.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 10:08 am

The Simple things in life: steak, potatoes, fixins.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2007, 10:21 am

I am happiest when sitting outside on my patio, watching the birds and insects and squirrels flitting about, or just looking at my cat, hamsters and cockatiel. I love walking in the woods, taking in the cool, clean scents, or sitting by a pond, watching dragonflies. I love early evening when the sky is swirling with pink and orange, and the stars are beginning to appear...I could sit for hours during a summer night and stare at the moon and constellations, listen to the nightbirds and bats.

I hate zoos, and oftentimes become depressed after visiting one, but I enjoy looking at animals too much to completely avoid them. I literally could spend hours observing monkeys and apes, and must be "dragged away" from them. Irritating, to say the least.

The last time I went to the zoo was when my youngest child was a year old or so. I'd been holding him in my arms so he could see the mama orangutan with her baby, and to my wonder and surprise, she went right up to the glass before me and held her baby out as if to say "look, I've a baby, too!" After about twenty minutes, my husband and kids dragged me away, and as we walked toward the tigers, I broke down in silent tears.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2007, 10:36 am

Yes!"Elemental" is an excellent word here.Absolutely,this fits me,too.All of your posts ring true.And I climbed a tree for pleasure last week :)

*some of you might like the documentary film "Rivers and Tides"

willem
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 10:37 am

Graelwyn wrote:
I am wondering how many others here still have a certain childlike wonder at the more simple things in life, like the shapes of plants, the way animals behave, the sky, the sun and water, not to mention the power of the elements. I find that these things all bring me alive, and often when I go out, I get drawn to looking closely at plants or at a bird I hear singing in a tree and I could look at water for hours. I find these things give me more pleasure than any manmade, material things ever can.

I feel just about exactly the way you're describing here. These things aren't simple, though! The more you look at them, the more complexity reveals itself to you. For instance, no two plants are exactly the same, no two leaves on a tree are the same, no two animals behave in the same way.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2007, 10:48 am

willem wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

I feel just about exactly the way you're describing here. These things aren't simple, though! The more you look at them, the more complexity reveals itself to you. For instance, no two plants are exactly the same, no two leaves on a tree are the same, no two animals behave in the same way.

Yes!

TellerStar
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2007, 10:50 am

Sometimes this is why I like camping because it brings everything back to simple things and you just enjoy being outdoors. No interent, no cars, just natural things.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 3:13 pm

richie wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

Sometimes it's the simple things that stir up the most profound thoughts, or to quote
William Blake to "find infinity in a grain of sand", from the Auguries of Innocence:
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.

http://www.poetryfeast.com/auguries-of-innocence/

That is a favourite quote of mine, actually. I love Blake's work and have used a few quotes, including that one, as my signature on a few forums.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 3:16 pm

willem wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

This is very true, but I term them simple as they are, for the most part, free and untainted by technology and the whims of modern society. There is a plant in the park near here that has caught my fascination for it's complexity...I cannot even describe it, but to me, it is so perfect in form and it just never ceases to amaze me how everything...is, in its natural way.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 6:11 pm

Yes,although I think computers etc are amazing,I still get transfixed by waterfalls or seeing the shape of a snowdrop that's been magnified

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 6:37 pm

I definitely prefer simple things. I hate where I live because there isn't much nature to look at. I am fascinated by colors.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Apr 2007, 7:13 pm

ChrissandraChrissamba wrote:
I definitely prefer simple things. I hate where I live because there isn't much nature to look at. I am fascinated by colors.

I live in a small city that has all the conveniences of the city such as public transportation,
libraries, and "cyber-cafes". But when I need peace and quiet I ride my bicycle on the Rail-Trail,
a 21 mile long park that goes through the countryside of southern York County PA. Sometimes
it feels as though I have the whole world all to myself. Unless I run into a group of inconsiderate
riders who are hogging up the lane, but once I get past them all is peaceful and quiet again.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 9:09 pm

It used to be that my day wasn't complete unless I got to feed the ants that lived in the cement walkway where I waited to get picked up from work every day....Yeah...l like really simple things...I can even get sorta obsessed with certain simple things.

I write songs about birds and squirrels...

blacktext
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2007, 9:52 pm

Simplicity and usability are important to me. Unnecessary complexity isn't welcome in my life.

My attraction to the simple and useful may be a control issue. I prefer that which is relevant, useful, and exists within my private domain. I enjoy natural things like parks and rivers. However I find these places too overrun with others - causing me to retreat to the world of my apartment.