Star Wars: the Force Awakens - Worst Star Wars film ever?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Nah, the title of worst Star Wars film still belongs to The Phantom Menace.

At least The Phantom Menace tried to be original. And Kylo Ren is NOTHING when compared to Darth Maul, and he managed to be badass without saying much.

The biggest problem with The Force Awakens in my eyes is not only that it tries way too hard to replicate Episode IV but that is also does a really abd job at it making look like terrible fanfiction written by a Star Trek fan. (then again, J. J. Abrahams did direct the Star Trek reboot.)

So if we were to be realistic here, I'd say the title of worst Star Wars film goes to The Phantom Menace AND The Force Awakens.

Nuff said.

-Thomas Jefferson

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 6:47 am

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:

So if we were to be realistic here, I'd say the title of worst Star Wars film goes to The Phantom Menace AND The Force Awakens.

Nuff said.

Yes, but not if Jar Jar is a Slith Lord controlling events from the shadows, which he certainly is. If you take that into account, and watch how he interracts with the environment, then he goes from being an annoying character to the most compelling villain in the films.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 11:16 am

Yeah JJ is a bit like m night shymalan , the TV show Lost was a bunch of cliffhangers and mysteries that were never paid off or explained.

When people object to Rey doing well in a light saber fight against Ren they bring out the excuse that he was injured,but the acting didn't convey that at all, he didn't seem to have restricted motion or anything wrong with him.

The fact that things are not self evident and have to be excused or explained is not good film making...unless it's a smart movie like 'the usual suspects' but it wasn't.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 3:32 pm

Actually, when I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I really liked it. Yes, I know that some people compared the plot to that of Star Wars episode IV: A New Hope but the ending left the story to potentially go in any direction in the future sequels.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 3:42 pm

Jono wrote:
Actually, when I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I really liked it. Yes, I know that some people compared the plot to that of Star Wars episode IV: A New Hope but the ending left the story to potentially go in any direction in the future sequels.

I liked it a great deal, too.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 1:11 pm

Jono wrote:
...but the ending left the story to potentially go in any direction in the future sequels.

Yeah, but I expected a full movie, not a hour-long advertisement for its "future sequels" and all the merchandise related to it. I don't like that kind of crap. That kind of filmaking doesn't belong in neither Disney or Star Wars films, it belongs in M. Night Shymalan's long line of disappointingly crappy films.

|
|
V

J. J. Abrhams and Disney can go take their sequel crap elsewhere!

-Thomas Jefferson

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 1:15 pm

Well, if you guys need me, I'll be ignoring all the negativity and watching Doctor Who and the old Star Trek movies. :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 4:54 pm

I think there's a definite problem with it being too much like the original Star Wars, but still found it enjoyable. Certainly, the acting and writing was better than the prequels and I'd rate it more highly than them. I'll agree with the OP that said prequels probably get a bit more flak than they deserve, but while they're not atrocious they're not particularly good either, and if we're talking about the worst Star Wars films I think they're all stronger contenders for the title.

My two cents, anyway.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 9:07 pm

My favorite part of the movie was the big animal that was drinking water from the trough on jakku :) and I don't usually like things like that.

Han was pretty cool as per usual, when someone shoots a laser and stormtroopers go flying it's not how blaster bolts behaved in the original. ):/

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 4:34 am

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Jono wrote:
...but the ending left the story to potentially go in any direction in the future sequels.

Yeah, but I expected a full movie, not a hour-long advertisement for its "future sequels" and all the merchandise related to it. I don't like that kind of crap. That kind of filmaking doesn't belong in neither Disney or Star Wars films, it belongs in M. Night Shymalan's long line of disappointingly crappy films.

|
|
V

J. J. Abrhams and Disney can go take their sequel crap elsewhere!

Well, it's a trilogy okay? That means that the main purpose of the first instalment of the trilogy is to introduce us to the new characters and set up the plot for the rest of the trilogy. That goes for any trilogy. Now, besides the fact that the plot is actually not exactly the same as "A New Hope", the only thing I really care about when assessing whether I like a movie or not is if I find it entertaining, that's it. A movie can have a similar plot to another movie, I don't care, it can be full of cliche's and I also don't care, as long as it's entertaining, I'll like it.

I_Heart_Unicorns
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2016, 9:09 am

I bought the DVD of TFA wanting so much for it to (a) explain what had happened since Episode VI and (b) to give us something new and fresh. It failed on both counts. It's not a 100% copy of Episode IV, but I can fully understand why people say it's just a rehash of Episode IV (with nods to V and VI). I mean, directionless individual longing for more growing up on desert planet, space Nazis, plucky rebels, something something something Dark Side, destroy Death Star 3.0, the end, roll credits. It wasn't a 100% copy, just a 99.999% copy.
I found it lame and very disappointing.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 6:23 pm

I_Heart_Unicorns wrote:
I bought the DVD of TFA wanting so much for it to (a) explain what had happened since Episode VI and (b) to give us something new and fresh. It failed on both counts. It's not a 100% copy of Episode IV, but I can fully understand why people say it's just a rehash of Episode IV (with nods to V and VI). I mean, directionless individual longing for more growing up on desert planet, space Nazis, plucky rebels, something something something Dark Side, destroy Death Star 3.0, the end, roll credits. It wasn't a 100% copy, just a 99.999% copy.
I found it lame and very disappointing.

-Thomas Jefferson

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 6:44 pm

The Star Wars saga is a mythology about the eternal struggle of good vs. evil. There are also themes about coming of age and parent/child relationships. It should repeat itself, because the message is that every generation faces similar struggles, and that each new generation must choose the light or the darkness for themselves. There is always a master, and there is always a pupil, and eventually the pupil becomes the master. And the wheel turns.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 8:22 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
The Star Wars saga is a mythology about the eternal struggle of good vs. evil. There are also themes about coming of age and parent/child relationships. It should repeat itself, because the message is that every generation faces similar struggles, and that each new generation must choose the light or the darkness for themselves. There is always a master, and there is always a pupil, and eventually the pupil becomes the master. And the wheel turns.

But did they really have to make it so darn obvious? :roll: I don't really think it was done because the "wheel of fate" mechanic that you speak of; I believe they have done it for one single purpose: fan service. The pointless kind of course.

Star Wars: the Phantom Menace had that same "wheel of fate" mechanic (Luke = Anakin, Leia = Padme, Qui-Gon Jin = Obi-Wan) but, unlike episode VII, it was subtle about it's similarities to the previous films.

Granted, the politically-driven plot didn't help the film reach up to A New Hope's standards, but it was entertaining to see George Lucas have a different approach to the Star Wars mythos (in my opinion at least).

Star Wars episode VII took way too much inspiration from the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise. Let me explain... :roll:

It's no secret that Five Nights at Freddy's has become a huge sensation over the past few years, and with such a huge popularity and vast Hot-Topic merchandise spreading around store shelves, it comes as to no surprise that a company as corporate as Disney would want to jump in the bandwagon as well.

Take for instance the two most OBVIOUS questions that have been asked shortly after the movie's initial release:

Oh, and these aren't the only videos on YouTube talking about these particular questions, Oh no, there's thousands of them! Just like they're thousands of theory videos on YouTube about Five Nights at Freddy's/

...And I don't think it's a coincidence. :evil:

I don't mind a film trying to make it's audience think even after they walk out of the theater; many films like Inception and The Matirx have done this before, but the way film does this seems to have you require two things in order so that you can enjoy all of the film's content:

1. A computer or Smartphone with an internet connection

2. Access to YouTube

Just by the fact the film has generated millions of theory videos on YouTube gives me the impression that this isn't an actual, full-length flim; it's a massive advertisement for the inevitable merchandise and onslaught of sequels that the film has coming.

And here's my main problem with all of this: Disney basically is treating a movie franchise as big and influential as Star Wars just like it's two mediocre films that were excuses for Disney to sell it's merchandise: Cars and Frozen. And when you are handling a franchilse like Star Wars, you have to handle it with care and, most importantly, passion; that means that, as a cynical corporate business, you have to actually listen to the fans instead of doing the usual "let's copy stuff from this trending franchise and add this to this already popular franchise" gimmick.

Star Wars is NOT another Five Nights at Freddy's

Star Wars is NOT another Frozen or Cars.

Star Wars is...Star Wars. That's all there's to it. You can't treat it like another cash-cow franchise.

-Thomas Jefferson

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 8:59 pm

The only people who can stand The Phantom Menace are those who saw it as children and will thus forever see it through a child's innocent and forgiving eyes. It is a god-awful movie in absolutely every sense of the word. Badly written, badly acted, badly directed, and full of cheap-looking (though I'm sure very expensive at the time) CG effects. The whole thing is a train wreck. And George Lucas, when asked why this movie was so terrible, answered that it was a kid's movie. Even if that response was honest, and I don't think it was, it would still be no excuse whatsoever for creating garbage. The many, many excellent children's movies (hello, Harry Potter) are a testament to that.

*huff puff puff* rant over :lol:

I_Heart_Unicorns

30 Oct 2016, 10:16 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
Could we all just stop ranting about what we don't like and focus on what makes us happy instead? I mean, I can't stand lemons, but I'm not about to rant on the internet about how much I dislike them. I'd much rather talk about kittens.

Once upon a time there were people who loved lemons. In fact, they liked lemons so much that they set up this special club for other lemon-lovers. They all got together to discuss how much they liked lemons.
And then a strange thing happened. Instead of being happy about how much they loved lemons, they started to actively dislike anyone who professed not to like lemons. They then even started to hate people who didn't like lemons.
Lemon-loving became a religion of sorts, and anyone who said they didn't like lemons was accused of blasphemy and the lemon-lovers wanted them dead.
So the lemon-haters started answering back.
And that's where we are now, minus the kittens.