Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 10:20 am

I realize your problem is solved, but for the future-

Is there a way that you can get some kind of either official or unofficial social assistance? Either an actual assistant who you can put in charge of things like writing emails for you (you would then proofread and okay them) and going to meetings for you or a co-worker who wouldn't mind explaining some things to you in exchange for you doing some of their work for them?

Many higher position aspies have arrangements like this that help them cope with the aspects of their job that are more challenging.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 10:32 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I realize your problem is solved, but for the future-

Is there a way that you can get some kind of either official or unofficial social assistance? Either an actual assistant who you can put in charge of things like writing emails for you (you would then proofread and okay them) and going to meetings for you or a co-worker who wouldn't mind explaining some things to you in exchange for you doing some of their work for them?

Many higher position aspies have arrangements like this that help them cope with the aspects of their job that are more challenging.
That's what we're working on. I'm at the mercy of the system at the moment. My opinion is this: White knuckle it for a bit longer. I would rather get it right than get it in a hurry. 17 years ago, I came thisclose to getting it right. Sqandered opportunities because I was just not fully diagnosed. No blame there. Just made the wrong decisions myself. So, I want to not do that again.

There are recommendations such as:
1. Some sort of assistant or training for executive functioning issues
2. Vocational training that includes things like resume services, interviewing skill classes, social classes and a few other things.
3. The therapy has begun. I did not get to see my therapist this week due to scheduling. But, she did call to see how I was doing. Gave me a chance to tell her what happened at the counter ten minutes after we parted and a few other things. I'm learning to recognize the signs of an impending meltdown or outburst, so, I fled. LOL

Right now, it's fight or flight, I'm choosing flight these days.

But, there are things in the offing that are driving me nutso right now.....

I want it NOW!!

LOL

But it is moving at some speed that our current measuring systems are still trying to detect...
The elusive, but theorized "Speed of Government"

The universal speed limit on how slow any operation can work at it's slowest, most inefficient way possible.

It is my theory of governmental relativity.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 12:47 pm

Congratulations on the meeting that went well for you. Sometimes things in life can click in place when you least expect it. I hope it all works out the way you want it to.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 12:57 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Congratulations on the meeting that went well for you. Sometimes things in life can click in place when you least expect it. I hope it all works out the way you want it to.

Sent out the proposal. Let's see how that goes. That's usually failure number one. Hence the need for vocational understanding.

Too much, too little, too eager, too distant...too something or another.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 3:46 pm

I'm having job issues of my own as well. I hope things improve for you.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 3:49 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm having job issues of my own as well. I hope things improve for you.

Thanks, you too :) It's bad all over for everybody unless you're into the black market.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 8:52 am

Sounds like a good plan, zkydz.

If you, or anyone else here, are interested, I will be starting a dissertation project in the next year. I'm tentatively calling it Autistic Adults in Positions of Power.

It's about aspies and auties in positions of authority over other people or over important systems. I noticed in the project that I'm finishing up now, that people on the spectrum in these higher positions seem to have challenges and successes that are different from other career levels. So far, there's no academic literature, or even casual literature like news stories talking about these kinds of people. I think it would be great for young people and newly diagnosed people to have more appropriate role models. Other people in these situations might also have a sense of solidarity, knowing that they are not alone.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, just send me a direct message and I'll put you on a list to get back to when I start the project in the next year.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 9:30 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Sounds like a good plan, zkydz.

If you, or anyone else here, are interested, I will be starting a dissertation project in the next year. I'm tentatively calling it Autistic Adults in Positions of Power.

It's about aspies and auties in positions of authority over other people or over important systems. I noticed in the project that I'm finishing up now, that people on the spectrum in these higher positions seem to have challenges and successes that are different from other career levels. So far, there's no academic literature, or even casual literature like news stories talking about these kinds of people. I think it would be great for young people and newly diagnosed people to have more appropriate role models. Other people in these situations might also have a sense of solidarity, knowing that they are not alone.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, just send me a direct message and I'll put you on a list to get back to when I start the project in the next year.
You can feel free to contact me at your leisure. I would be the cautionary tale of great successes and even greater flame outs and career ending problems because I didn't know at an earlier age. Missed opportunities and just bad decisions. And, it could be interesting for you to track us late in lifers who are having to adjust and go through things through a new prism.

There are several of us dealing with this. And, all of us exist in one degree or another in the uncanny valley.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2016, 9:37 pm

I'm glad that your meeting went well

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 9:47 pm

Meeting went well. Now I'm battling the negative effects of the prescribed meds. Just currently too strong. Makes me muddled.

But, thank you for that :)

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2016, 10:01 am

Well I hope you manage to work through the issues with your medications, too.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 10:09 am

RubyWings91 wrote:
Well I hope you manage to work through the issues with your medications, too.

Thanks. I skipped the 'sleep aid' last night and I am much more cogent.

Still working on the executive functioning issues yet though LOL. But I have a much clearer mind to do so now. :)

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13