How can I follow my dream and get my music out there?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

lymerence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2016, 7:30 pm

The way I see it currently, making and playing music is the only escape from bad thoughts and realities, but I don't have a clue how I can start performing live when I don't know many people to be in a band with (like Tame Impala, I do all the studio work but I'd have to have a backing band live). It's honestly the only thing I'm confident in myself with to help me become more sociable and it seems like the definite way forward, because I can't really see myself having any other job in the future. I'm going to a music college (if I pass my GCSEs), so that's a good start, but it seems so far away from now, even if it is only a few months; I'm really excited to start performing to people and hopefully getting the appreciation I've always longed for but never had or deserved.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm

Busking is an option. Posting your music online is another. Have you tried either?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SuddenlyPorcupines
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2016, 1:04 pm

I'm studying music at college. Great place to meet musicians. Also, post an ad to joinmyband. I've got loads of replies from there in the past.

lymerence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2016, 3:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
Busking is an option. Posting your music online is another. Have you tried either?

You need a licence for busking, but it's something I'd consider, but my parents won't let me. I've posted all my music online quite a lot and got positive response, I'll put them in my signature now though.

Jermaine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2016, 8:30 pm

lymerence wrote:
The way I see it currently, making and playing music is the only escape from bad thoughts and realities, but I don't have a clue how I can start performing live when I don't know many people to be in a band with (like Tame Impala, I do all the studio work but I'd have to have a backing band live). It's honestly the only thing I'm confident in myself with to help me become more sociable and it seems like the definite way forward, because I can't really see myself having any other job in the future. I'm going to a music college (if I pass my GCSEs), so that's a good start, but it seems so far away from now, even if it is only a few months; I'm really excited to start performing to people and hopefully getting the appreciation I've always longed for but never had or deserved.

1. If it were 1989, I would've told you to send your tape into John Peel, but those days aren't completely over, take BIRP! for example. I know a ton of artist who made it to their mixtape, these are artist i've known to have only one or two decent songs, but they make it on the yearly mixtape and it reaches thousands.

http://www.birp.fm/

2. Labels often have podcast where they play music solo artist or bands send in, sometimes discovered on bandcamp. Try finding your favorite labels, or labels you know have sounds similar to your own and submitting your album to them for their podcast, sometimes they'll even post it on their social platform of preference.

3. Join gear forums and talk about music making, and gear and what not. Major artist, producers and scouters are on forums like Gear Slutz under user names you would never guess, they're on there because they love music, so meeting someone isn't by chance, it's natural in those environments, plus you generate great feedback. (add harmony central to the list). I use to buy and sell gear a few years back and had some amazing opportunities to meet prime people, the thing is that I compose SFX and program sounds, so there wasn't really anything I could give them, but had I been an indie or rock composer, I would've been set.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/

4. Youtube, Bandcamp, Last.FM, Play at community events wear hipsters and parents will be, that's your target. I know some really young artist in Japan who are all over the internet by now. Some of them use to be on myspace back when it was a thing, account closed and all and people are trading this music like gold.

It depends on your style and sound.
If I had to merge two or more artist to together to get you, who would they be ?

lymerence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2016, 11:19 am

Jermaine wrote:
lymerence wrote:

1. If it were 1989, I would've told you to send your tape into John Peel, but those days aren't completely over, take BIRP! for example. I know a ton of artist who made it to their mixtape, these are artist i've known to have only one or two decent songs, but they make it on the yearly mixtape and it reaches thousands.

http://www.birp.fm/

2. Labels often have podcast where they play music solo artist or bands send in, sometimes discovered on bandcamp. Try finding your favorite labels, or labels you know have sounds similar to your own and submitting your album to them for their podcast, sometimes they'll even post it on their social platform of preference.

3. Join gear forums and talk about music making, and gear and what not. Major artist, producers and scouters are on forums like Gear Slutz under user names you would never guess, they're on there because they love music, so meeting someone isn't by chance, it's natural in those environments, plus you generate great feedback. (add harmony central to the list). I use to buy and sell gear a few years back and had some amazing opportunities to meet prime people, the thing is that I compose SFX and program sounds, so there wasn't really anything I could give them, but had I been an indie or rock composer, I would've been set.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/

4. Youtube, Bandcamp, Last.FM, Play at community events wear hipsters and parents will be, that's your target. I know some really young artist in Japan who are all over the internet by now. Some of them use to be on myspace back when it was a thing, account closed and all and people are trading this music like gold.

It depends on your style and sound.
If I had to merge two or more artist to together to get you, who would they be ?

Thank you!

The two artists you'd have to merge together would definitely be Pink Floyd and Tame Impala.

Jermaine

26 Apr 2016, 8:04 pm

lymerence wrote:

Thank you!

The two artists you'd have to merge together would definitely be Pink Floyd and Tame Impala.

That's a big call for both. I'm sure it must sound impressive. Do you have a picture of your rig ? What are you using for overdrive and reverb ? any pitch shifting ?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 8:55 pm

Could you upload some tracks to YouTube or an audio sharing site?

A lot of people use YouTube for music

lymerence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2016, 5:38 pm

Jermaine wrote:
lymerence wrote:

Thank you!

That's a big call for both. I'm sure it must sound impressive. Do you have a picture of your rig ? What are you using for overdrive and reverb ? any pitch shifting ?

I can't get a photo right now (I will when I can though), but my rig consists of a Fender Strat, a Gretsch Electromatic G5420T, and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Blackback Pro; the only pedal I use is a Boss ME-80 Multi-FX and I tend to use fuzz more than distortion or overdrive.

My music can be found here:

http://lymerence.bandcamp.com/

There's Fear of the Unknown and Night Music, the latter of which I officially released today.

Jermaine

27 Apr 2016, 8:15 pm

lymerence wrote:
Jermaine wrote:
lymerence wrote:

Thank you!

I can't get a photo right now (I will when I can though), but my rig consists of a Fender Strat, a Gretsch Electromatic G5420T, and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Blackback Pro; the only pedal I use is a Boss ME-80 Multi-FX and I tend to use fuzz more than distortion or overdrive.

My music can be found here:

http://lymerence.bandcamp.com/

There's Fear of the Unknown and Night Music, the latter of which I officially released today.

I must say, well done with Night Music, well composed ! Still hard to think you're 16. I checked out all of your music yesterday include the Pink Floyd cover.

What synth do you use ? all midi ?

If you're up for this, I have a request... Just thinking out loud here, but could you release two versions of Night Music ? The second one being the instrumental ;only, and toned down a bit to embody the "night". This is the version I would purchase. I enjoyed the way you leveled and layered the drums in Fear of the Unknown, and Night Music's Sunset is perfect, if in the second version, you layer Sunset's bass kicks at 0:53 under the stringed synth with the volume mirroring the same level heard at 02:26 (similar to FOTU), that would be bliss. All the 2nd version songs will follow that format and be an extension of Amy's Web (sound and effects wise), with the right amount of reverb and delay (Analog I assume ?)

lymerence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2016, 3:12 pm

So since I started work on it yesterday, I now know which way my third album is going to head in! It's gonna be much darker and way heavier, but more melodic too. It's definitely more drum-heavy. Fear of the Unknown used a lot of intentionally lo-fi drum loops and drum machines and Night Music was a little more natural (with the exception of Sunset), but this is going to be a lot more like the solo section in Another Heaven in terms of heaviness.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 4:29 pm

I listened to the first half of one of the album's, it had some good moments but I don't think it would sell.

My favorite type of music is blues, I haven't listened to much prog rock.
You seem to know your way around the guitar but the playing does not give me the same feelings as listening to my favorite songs.

I'll listen to your next album if you want.

lymerence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2016, 5:19 pm

slenkar wrote:
I listened to the first half of one of the album's, it had some good moments but I don't think it would sell.

My favorite type of music is blues, I haven't listened to much prog rock.
You seem to know your way around the guitar but the playing does not give me the same feelings as listening to my favorite songs.

I'll listen to your next album if you want.

Uh... Thanks for the constructive(?) criticism.. I'm not making music for the sole purpose of selling it, if people like it, that's a bonus, plus live performances would be the more focal point. I reckon there probably would be some kind of niche market for it, but it's not like I want to become famous - at least enough to make a decent living out of it, at most enough for a small cult following.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 5:39 pm

Sorry if that was too negative, I think you have ability . it might be just that I'm not the type of person who likes prog rock.
The blues guitar solos I listen to usually are about building up excitement which is not what prog Rock is really about.