Page 4 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 4:40 am

Very early in the morning the birds start to sing/whistle here. They do this at a time when it is still completely dark for me. Yet at that point there will be something that the birds perceive something that i as a homo sapien cannot perceive. As for time & birds, birds didn't have to reset their watch one hour to winter time last night. Birds don't navigate through their watch or tom-tom, they don't even have a watch or navigation system like homo sapiens do. They do have a tom-tom, but it is of a different kind. Some pigeons seem to be able to feel something of a magnetic field, and thus arrive at their destination.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 5:10 am

Love birds. Have always wanted a corvid of some description as a pet but it's not really allowed here. You have to be able to prove you didn't take it from the wild and there aren't many people breeding for pets. But anyway in my fantasy version of having a pet corvid I just befriend one and it hangs out with me because it wants to.

I have a perspex bird feeder on my living room window. It is visited by most varieties of tits (blue, great, coal and long-tailed) but recently a mob of sparrows have been deterring the less brave birds. We also have a very friendly robin who visits. I often leave the window open and he will come into the living room to feed from a special pot of food that's specially for him. He has in the past landed on my hand and fed from it but he seems to go through phases of being more and less nervous of me.

Blackbirds are my absolute favourite bird though. We have those in the back garden.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 2:54 am

Yes blackbirds are beautiful, the way they sing, the way they look, the way their behaviour.
Last week i was sitting alone in a park, no humans around me, just a blackbird who did take a bath a few meters away from me. Looking to the bird did feel like a paradise for me :)
Long time ago we did have a blackbird in the garden who did steal the food from our dog, the blackbird did walk into our kitchen and took the food :)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:56 am

I love it when birds are comfortable enough to go about their normal behaviour when humans are nearby.

This is a woodpecker who visits my garden. Very nervous of people so I have to hide.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:57 am

Also, why is this thread in the Computers and Technology forum?

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 4:51 am

Last Tuesday a moment of happiness, probably a moment of once in a lifetime. In the dune area near Schoorl my retina experienced a hop. Not the hop they make into beer, but a bird called hop. He/She was standing less than 3 meters from me, pecking something in the swampy high grass. By the time my camera was ready, it was a lot further away. With 20x optical zoom, and 20x digital zoom still a vague picture as a memory. Im not really sure if hop is the right english word.

kaiouti12
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2021, 3:39 pm

Erewhon wrote:
...Yet at that point there will be something that the birds perceive something that i as a homo sapien cannot perceive...

I believe you are talking about UV (Ultra-Violet) Rays, Birds can see them and track them. The rays appear purplish in colour.

Don't believe me? Here -> https://www.nwf.org/Magazines/National- ... ird-Vision

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 9:51 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Also, why is this thread in the Computers and Technology forum?

It is actually named the "Computers, math, science, and technology" forum.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:14 pm

kaiouti12 wrote:
Erewhon wrote:
...Yet at that point there will be something that the birds perceive something that i as a homo sapien cannot perceive...

I believe you are talking about UV (Ultra-Violet) Rays, Birds can see them and track them. The rays appear purplish in colour.

Don't believe me? Here -> https://www.nwf.org/Magazines/National- ... ird-Vision

Thanks for the post.
Fascinating to know that 'reality' is relative. My reality is also only my reality. Some insects appear to be able to see the sun when it is cloudy. As for the purple color that birds can see: A kestrel also sees the fresh urine of a mouse as purple, very useful for catching mice.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:29 pm

That is quite fascinating. Many drab looking temperate zone birds are actually just as gaudy as parrots in the tropics.

What to humans is "visible light" (all of the colors) is just a narrow part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Our vision stops at the color violet (highest frequency) on one end, and at the color red at the other end (lowest frequency).

Its been long known that cats can see some way into the ultra violet, and so can bees. But apparently theyve always assumed the birds saw in the same range that we can. Until now.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 2:44 am

abibliophile wrote:
Is anyone else really into birds and birdwatching? What are your favorite species? How do you engage with birds? Do you watch, catalogue, memorize, research, imitate?

Personally i like to eat birds buts just about the only thing we will do but we will see neat birds when we are in South Texas.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 9:17 am

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 9:39 pm

Every spring and summer we get these Koels that migrate down from up north.
They stay here for months and start their mournful cries about midnight that go on until after sunrise.
I love how they sound but many locals don't like them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 5:32 am

Kinda like 'mourning doves' in the States.

Your bird migrations are the mirror image of those of the States (and of the UK, Europe, and Asia).

Birds in both hemispheres go toward the Equator in the cold months, and fly back to the temperate zone in the spring to raise their chicks. But in Australia that means going NORTH in the cold season, and returning SOUTH in the spring. Our birds go south for the winter (as far as central America), a return north in the spring.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm

Erewhon wrote:
Last Tuesday a moment of happiness, probably a moment of once in a lifetime. In the dune area near Schoorl my retina experienced a hop. Not the hop they make into beer, but a bird called hop. He/She was standing less than 3 meters from me, pecking something in the swampy high grass. By the time my camera was ready, it was a lot further away. With 20x optical zoom, and 20x digital zoom still a vague picture as a memory. Im not really sure if hop is the right english word.

What a fabulous bird! I think it's a "hoopoe" in English, so not far off. I've never seen one- they're such a rarity here they don't make it into most bird guides.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 8:49 am

But...

Bird Aren't Real.

Everyone in the know knows that!