Page 5 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 11:58 am

Sunday, October 24, it was a beautiful day. A day when the sun was present in a sunlit state. And with a camera in hand, i went bird hunting. Well in such a way that i released the birds immediately after shooting, while they were still captured on a memory card. They weren't average birds, they were birds with nerves of steel. They flew past me in all colors and sizes in the dune area of ​​Bergen aan Zee. More precisely on the dune leading to Huize Glory. Very high in the sky also flew some metal birds leaving white stripes. The title of the film is a quote from Harrie Jekkers.

"Je moet vliegen in je dromen om later van de grond te komen
You have to fly in your dreams to get off the ground later"

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:52 pm

I saw great crested grebes flying today. There are a decent number of them around here, but I'd never seen them take to the air until a couple of years ago. I think it's because the population on our local lakes and ponds has got high enough that the adolescents need to go elsewhere to find territory. So, they're learning to fly. Grebes spend nearly all the time in the water. They're pretty bad at walking, and several species have completely lost the ability to fly. The Great Crested Grebe was nearly wiped out in this country in the 19th century because their feathers were popular in the hat trade. So it's good to see them getting a bit overcrowded!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... ted-grebe/

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 7:23 am

Bald Eagles under webcam: Their chicks have just hatched.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/life/anima ... d5c47dfeee

The eagles built their nest many years ago and the edges of the city have grown up around them.

(There is a very short ad at the beginning video, which is embedded at the top of the news story.)

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 7:39 am

I love birds.

I especially love learning their songs and calls.

My favourite for song which we get a short walk from my home are corn buntings. They are a brown nondescript looking bird, but the sound they make does something to me inside I cannot describe. Also love the sound of buzzards circling high overhead. I do quite a lot of bird surveys.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 2:20 am

Movie with some peacocks from June last year. With the imposing feathers with 'eyes' i am reminded of the long neck of a giraffe. Now i do not know whether those long feathers of a peacock have arisen through evolution without human intervention, or whether those feathers have become so large through human breeding.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 11:58 am

Inventor Nikola Tesla seems to have had warm feelings for birds. And in particular a white dove that regularly visited him on his balcony in New York, at least that's what i read somewhere. I can imagine that a genius person like Tesla could get along better with pigeons than with homosapiens. I can also imagine that a pigeon feels comfortable with a calm / calm / thoughtful person as Tesla. It must have something to do with the food he fed that white dove. Love of the white dove, just like the proverbial saying, goes through the stomach with 2 homosapiens (dutch saying).
Aside from that physical food, the chemistry between these 2 creatures will also have been consumed as metaphorical breadcrumbs.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 7:56 pm

Erewhon wrote:
Movie with some peacocks from June last year. With the imposing feathers with 'eyes' i am reminded of the long neck of a giraffe. Now i do not know whether those long feathers of a peacock have arisen through evolution without human intervention, or whether those feathers have become so large through human breeding.

When I was young, my grandmother took me to the zoo where there were white peacocks. I have a postcard I kept with a picture of a white peacock, much like this one. Brought back warm memories.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 9:41 pm

Passenger pigeons were hunted by Native Americans, but hunting intensified after the arrival of Europeans, particularly in the 19th century. Pigeon meat was commercialized as cheap food, resulting in hunting on a massive scale for many decades.

There were several other factors contributing to the decline and subsequent extinction of the species, including shrinking of the large breeding populations necessary for preservation of the species and widespread deforestation, which destroyed its habitat.

A slow decline between about 1800 and 1870 was followed by a rapid decline between 1870 and 1890. The last confirmed wild bird is thought to have been shot in 1901.

The last captive birds were divided in three groups around the turn of the 20th century, some of which were photographed alive.

Martha, thought to be the last passenger pigeon, died on September 1, 1914, at the Cincinnati Zoo. The eradication of the species is a notable example of anthropogenic extinction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_pigeon

friggin lunatics wtf? :|

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2022, 9:20 pm

Different individuals of the Bowerbirds have specific preferences for specific Colours for the elaborate bowers they build

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 6:25 am

Special architect that bowerbirds.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 12:57 pm

Clever bird.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 1:35 pm

As with homo sapiens, birds also vary in their intelligence, at least that's my idea. Today I had a special incident at work. We have some old waste bins in a junk corner on the site, and 1 of those waste bins is chrome, so a mirror. And by that mirrored trash can, a blackbird was arguing with its reflection. It was funny to watch, and at the same time I also felt some pity for the angry blackbird. In any case, it was not a preconceived plan to tease that blackbird. A chimpanzee and gorilla also don't seem to recognize themselves in a mirror, just like a baby. I don't really know when I started recognizing myself in a mirror. Perhaps this blackbird's breeding season had some influence on its behaviour. This male blackbird saw another male, and no female blackbird in that waste bin, that's logical Johan Cruijff would have said. :)

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 2:57 pm

Credit & Copyright: NPOD
Form Up!: A flock of geese struggle to form their "V" shortly after taking off into the wind.

http://www.naturepicoftheday.com/archive/2022-04-20

http://www.naturepicoftheday.com/random

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 10:28 am

A nest of wagtails at work. The birds had built a nest in a ladder.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:22 am

( The Top 3 Singing Pet Birds )

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 2:06 am

The word (kraanvogel) in the picture is a dutch wordplaying :)