Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 7:05 pm

I really enjoy deep discussions offline, although it's easier if I've already given the topic some thought. It's harder to deal with emotional people offline than online, so I listen to them more than I challenge them. Offline discussions are much more back and forth, so you cover a lot of ground quite quickly and go on to another topic more easily.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 10:34 am

drlaugh wrote:
Something I've been working in for decades, listening without waiting for a pause to interject my "wisdom, experience or expertise."

Maybe you could interject some secondary expertise in this derelict landscape and, remove the cobwebs of inner doubt from a sovereign mind, or to put blunt wisdom on a formal topic, erase all dark recesses before they melt the landscape completely. That said, I'd rather spread good fortune than watch the world desecrate before me.
If laughter makes the world go around, maybe the earth needs longer to rotate.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 11:35 am

That's not so bad—lots of people interject their "wisdom, experience or expertise" without waiting for a pause, and usually with the default assumption that you're a moron and couldn't possibly know what you're doing without them.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 6:18 pm

drlaugh wrote:
I need to work on interrupting.

Working on avoiding interrupting? Or working on doing interrupting?

Avoiding would be preferable I would think.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 8:08 pm

Natural plastic

Also using more exact words.
Avoiding interruptions.

Empathy
Laughter is but part of my world.
Empathy is another part. Especially more recently toward people closer to me.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 10:51 am

Interrupting also has its place. It's just not practical to always let a real talker go on and on. I find that most people are more concise in their writing than in their speech, because you get to edit writing.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 11:41 am

Whether it's "practical" is a matter of relative status. I'm pretty used to talking to people who both emphatically refuse to let me utter two full words without interrupting me and talk themselves for half an hour each time and won't tolerate any interruption from me whatsoever. What used to confound me the most, as an autistic, is that, naturally enough, they always explain their anger in terms of what they present as a universal rule, notwithstanding the fact that the rules invoked at different times contradict each other and the one invoked is always the one which favors them against me.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 10:07 am

Some folks in person get loud and angry, instead of admitting it - or listening. 8O