Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 2:39 am

I have classic autism (as confirmed by two separate professionals) and I am at university studying pharmacology. I have a full time support worker there as I cannot cope on my own at all. I am part time.

I would like to work after my course, but my autism presents as episodes of severe challenging behaviour, communications difficulties, constant stimming / rocking, severe social difficulties and severe sensory challenges. I am aware that working will not be easy.

(I live in the UK so the Equality Act 2010 would apply in my case)

I am thinking of working for myself, with a LOT of help from my friend (who has Asperger's) and support workers.

I am very intelligent, I just have a lot of challenges.

I am scared of the idea of applying for jobs and working for someone else as I've only had bad experiences with voluntary work. I have been fired twice for meltdowns, and I have been called things like "a health and safety hazard" or, once "a total psycho".

What is your advice?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 5:36 am

Your best bet might be doing things online (with your Asperger's friend).

Or some sort of online job involving typing or editing, or perhaps even as an online travel agent.

Or maybe as a research assistant for people doing research on drugs.

Or maybe you should go for your Master's in Pharmacology.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 5:38 am

University has been a bad experience. Online work or research assistant could work well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 5:46 am

As one gets higher and higher on the academic ladder, there's usually more tolerance for difference (i.e.,for things like autism). As long as you share the opinions of your academic advisor, you should probably do okay in Grad School.

Have you been able to win the esteem of any professor in your undergrad program? Maybe this person could write two reference letters for you--one covering a Master's program, the other a job.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 5:48 am

True. Graduate school attracts me if I can study neuropsychiatry or similar. My tutor hates me and so does the course organiser. But maybe another tutor I know from a practical might like me.

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2016, 8:43 am

Heya,

Why do you choose the term 'classic autism'? I've not come across someone who self identifies that way before so it's super interesting. :)

More on topic, have you considered approaching boots? I happen to know they have a very very good diversity team and they might be willing to offer you a work placement.

Another option may be waitrose. They also have a strong record in diversity.

Finally, there are a few schemes like access to work. They can help with providing accsessbile travel options.

I need lots of support too, I work for the BBC.

Hope that helps,

Jamie + Lion

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2016, 8:47 am

I don't doubt it will be difficult but I think it would be possible.

Have you seen Tourettes Hero's blog? At the moment she's working on performance stuff, but prior to that she worked in childcare in an adventure park. While her difficulties are quite different to yours, she has 24 hour support and is in a wheelchair (she had to get a special one for muddy terrain through access to work). (She doesn't have challenging behaviour in the way auties might, but she does have ticking fits that can make her hit out, injure herself or choke.)

I was considering academia and I was told by my wife's friend who is a researcher that the faculty don't care how your work gets done (with regards to say, sitting on an exercise ball) as long as it did.

I think I would want a non-teaching PhD if I went down that route.

Anyway, I've got a bit off topic - my point was that careers are possible even with very high support needs if you can find the right employer.

Another option if you can't work or are working towards a position might be volunteer or very small hours work while on ESA but I don't know how hard it would be to get funding for support for volunteering.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 9:06 am

SpacedOutAndSmiling wrote:
Heya,

Why do you choose the term 'classic autism'? I've not come across someone who self identifies that way before so it's super interesting. :)

More on topic, have you considered approaching boots? I happen to know they have a very very good diversity team and they might be willing to offer you a work placement.

Another option may be waitrose. They also have a strong record in diversity.

Finally, there are a few schemes like access to work. They can help with providing accsessbile travel options.

I need lots of support too, I work for the BBC.

Hope that helps,

Jamie + Lion

Thanks. It did help.

I am diagnosed with autism, and my neurologist calls it ASD but my psychiatrist calls it classic autism. I had delayed speech and developmental delay. I have a high IQ but I do not function highly elsewhere.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 9:07 am

ConceptuallyCurious wrote:
I don't doubt it will be difficult but I think it would be possible.

Have you seen Tourettes Hero's blog? At the moment she's working on performance stuff, but prior to that she worked in childcare in an adventure park. While her difficulties are quite different to yours, she has 24 hour support and is in a wheelchair (she had to get a special one for muddy terrain through access to work). (She doesn't have challenging behaviour in the way auties might, but she does have ticking fits that can make her hit out, injure herself or choke.)

I was considering academia and I was told by my wife's friend who is a researcher that the faculty don't care how your work gets done (with regards to say, sitting on an exercise ball) as long as it did.

I think I would want a non-teaching PhD if I went down that route.

Anyway, I've got a bit off topic - my point was that careers are possible even with very high support needs if you can find the right employer.

Another option if you can't work or are working towards a position might be volunteer or very small hours work while on ESA but I don't know how hard it would be to get funding for support for volunteering.

Thank you. This is helpful.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 2:50 pm

I have to be honest and share a bit of my experience.
I got an adult diagnosis for ASD a few years ago and I was told I was on the Aspergers part of the spectrum.

I have only ever worked manual jobs and from 17 until I was 23 was fired over and over again.
For 23 until 37 I worked in the one job but I was hated by co workers and I was bullied until that job closed down.

From 38 until I was 41 I got another job and I learned how to get on with people for the most part but it was not easy that job closed down also.

At the moment I am getting casual work and I can not depend on it.
I have a full weeks work this week last week no work two full weeks before that and next week who knows.

I live across the water in Ireland so the culture is very similar to the UK.

Your Autism is not your fault but I will be honest with you this paragraph does not look good for you.

Quote:
I would like to work after my course, but my autism presents as episodes of severe challenging behavior, communications difficulties, constant stimming / rocking, severe social difficulties and severe sensory challenges. I am aware that working will not be easy.

I have all them symptoms to some degree but they are mostly on the mild end of the spectrum.
Five years of getting fired and feeling suicidal and another 14 years of constant bullying and still feeling suicidal and that is on top of my horrific school life.

In the job I was in for 14 years I was almost fired twice for standing up for myself against bullying.
To this day I don't understand all the social rules and I have never had a relationship but I have learned enough to leave my naive attitude behind me.

How are you going to work for yourself?
Do you have funds for such a venture?

Don't let my post put you off I mean it I am just giving you an honest answer to how harsh the working life is to those on the Autistic spectrum and I can only imagine as the symptoms get more severe so does the challenge.

Two things are very different and your case you have a collage education and your also female so my experience mostly comes from working with males with a low level of education.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 4:33 pm

Thanks. I have a lot of support from support workers, various teams, and my mum is my carer. I don't think I'll get a job beyond supported employment. I just want to do something with my life. I'm really smart. Don't want to see it wasted. Not much of a choice though.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 5:40 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Thanks. I have a lot of support from support workers, various teams, and my mum is my carer. I don't think I'll get a job beyond supported employment. I just want to do something with my life. I'm really smart. Don't want to see it wasted. Not much of a choice though.

I wish you all the best are your right not to waste life.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 5:46 pm

Thanks.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 6:05 pm

I agree that it would be a good idea for you to try to work online instead of at a traditional type of job. More and more people are working from home nowadays. Even those with office jobs can sometimes do their work from home on some days.

As you said, it would be better if you were able to use your intelligence if possible. I think that you should at least try because you have something to offer, even though you have a lot of challenges to overcome.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2016, 9:14 pm

Finally someone that's not calling themselves an "aspie".

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 4:05 am

spinelli wrote:
Finally someone that's not calling themselves an "aspie".

I'm not an aspie either...my autism is more severe than Asperger's.

I've never worked yet and plan to at least be able to volunteer or something.