Sanders on losing: Poor People don't vote.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 7:17 pm

Quote:
“Well, because poor people don't vote,” Sanders told host Chuck Todd. “I mean, that's just a fact. That's a sad reality of American society.”

Sanders said that while his campaign has done a good job of attracting young voters, he’s had less success driving up turnout of lower-income people. In the 2014 election, he said, “80 percent of poor people did not vote.”

“If we can significantly increase voter turnout so that low-income people and working people and young people participated in the political process, if we got a voter turnout of 75 percent, this country would be radically transformed,” Sanders said during the taping of the segment, which is scheduled to air Sunday morning.

It's not clear that larger turnout among poor voters would have actually helped Sanders against Clinton, however.

Sanders has lost Democratic voters with household incomes below $50,000 by 55 percent to 44 percent to Clinton across primaries where network exit polls have been conducted. (He has lost by a wider 21 percentage-point margin among voters with incomes above $100,000, and by 9 points among middle income voters.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... dont-vote/

Despite data show other wise, Bernie claims that he is losing to Clinton because "Poor People don't vote"
The voting data shows Clinton winning the majority of the poor vote as well.

The_Joker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2016, 10:05 pm

Yes, that's because most poor people have become apolitical or anarchists.

After forty five years of being disposed of and essentially left to die many of us through experience have come to the general conclusion that there is no reason to trust or pay any sort of heed to government whatsoever.

Thankfully for all the political snake oilsmen there's a small fraction of poor people who still vote thinking to themselves that some political messianic figure is right around the corner.

Professional_edgelord
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Apr 2016, 10:39 pm

The_Joker wrote:

After forty five years of being disposed of and essentially left to die many of us through experience have come to the general conclusion that there is no reason to trust or pay any sort of heed to government whatsoever.

Thankfully for all the political snake oilsmen there's a small fraction of poor people who still vote thinking to themselves that some political messianic figure is right around the corner.

So do you believe that not being involved in politics will somehow fix anything? political apathy is why people like George Bush can come into power

The_Joker

25 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm

Professional_edgelord wrote:
The_Joker wrote:

So do you believe that not being involved in politics will somehow fix anything? political apathy is why people like George Bush can come into power

I personally think humanity is damned and civilization is doomed where my voting or lack of really won't effect that outcome either way.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 11:47 am

An atypically large number of African-Americans voted for Obama in the 2008 election. That did not happen again in the 2012 election.