Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2016, 2:35 pm

I liked Call of Duty Black Ops(the first one), even though I think they could've taken a more [i]Full Metal Jacket[i] approach to it. But there are a couple of problems with it, historically, which is a MAJOR pet peeve of war history buffs, like me. For one thing, the M4, aka "Commando", wasn't made until 1994 and didn't officially replace the M16 until 2005. Heck, most of the guns on the roster wouldn't have existed yet, considering it took place in the 1960's. On top of that, the model of Jeep Wrangler, if you look close enough, is too new for when the game took place. I guess it's because there is a lot of conspiratorial content(Hangar 18, Kennedy assassination, etc.), which would explain this, but it still grinds my gears. Not sure about anyone else, but that's how I feel about it's historical inaccuracy.

Bombe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2016, 10:04 pm

It's a videogame. Zombies also aren't real.

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2016, 12:38 pm

I'm aware of that and I wasn't talking about zombies.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 9:53 am

I didn't even know that game took place in the 60s @_@

Shows what I know =)

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2016, 3:02 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I didn't even know that game took place in the 60s @_@

Shows what I know =)

The Cold War took place in the 50's onward. It was what is called an arms race, meaning they competed in developing the latest technology, from weapons to space exploration. It ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall in the 80's. There are other inconsistencies in the story, but I can't think of them off the top of my head, right now.

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2016, 3:06 pm

Okay, here's a more detailed analysis.

https://community.callofduty.com/t5/Cal ... 0&tstart=0

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 3:15 pm

Black Ops 1 was the only Call of Duty I ever really got into, and part of it's because I kind of dig the whole Cold War aesthetic. Of course, the weapons were INSANELY inaccurate given the timeframe in which the game took place. I remember looking up pictures of the FAMAS online, and none of the pictures I saw looked anything like the one ingame. It turns out the ingame version was based on a model introduced in 2001. That's just one of the game's many inaccuracies, another being that you could equip an M203 grenade launcher to an M14 rifle, when the M14 had its own grenade launcher made for it.

It was a fun game while the online was still good, but of course Activision eventually quit giving a s**t about it since they treat CoD like a f*****g sports franchise with a new game every year, so all these f*****g cheaters started flooding in and ruining the game for everyone else. I'd love to be able to play it again, but there's no way I'm grabbing another 360 and paying for XBL just so I can play it with f*****g cheaters. I'm aware that there are PC and PS3 versions as well, but Sony's killing online support for the PS3 soon, and the PC version is just plain dead. I also remember the PS3 port being very poorly optimized from what I played of it. If Steam had the PC version for $10 and the game had a server browser and proper mod support, then I'd probably grab it. Of course, if it had those things, then it probably wouldn't be so dead either. But they aren't going to be making any money from people playing an older, cheaper game with oodles more replay value, now are they? :roll:

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2016, 3:18 pm

The M16, in general, wasn't officially adopted by the military until 1967. The first sequence in the game took place in 1964, in the Bay of Pigs, Cuba. This was during a period of time called the Cuban Missile Crisis. At first, I thought I saw an inconsistency when they placed the main protagonist in Dallas, where the Kennedy assassination took place, but then I remembered that there was a conspiracy theory that the CIA assassinated Kennedy as revenge for the Bay of Pigs debacle.

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2016, 3:21 pm

And to whoever posted that nasty comment before it was apparently taken down, learn to take some criticism because everybody does it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 9:20 am

Dr_Manhattan wrote:
The Cold War took place in the 50's onward.

I didn't even know it took place during the Cold War.

I've only really played it with multiplayer split-screen on the 360, and it looked like every other post-WW2 CoD game to me.

I might have briefly played SP or coop though, is that the game with "No Russian"?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 4:41 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Dr_Manhattan wrote:
The Cold War took place in the 50's onward.

I didn't even know it took place during the Cold War.

I've only really played it with multiplayer split-screen on the 360, and it looked like every other post-WW2 CoD game to me.

I might have briefly played SP or coop though, is that the game with "No Russian"?

The one with "No Russian" was Modern Warfare 2.

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2016, 1:38 pm

With Call of Duty Black Ops, they should've made it to take place in Desert Storm or something. CoD BO is so full of incorrect facts, it's not funny.