Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 10:33 pm

I would rather be with a guy that has stable income, but I would still want to make money to support myself. How much money a guy makes isn't the one of the main things that I would look for. I don't think I could possibly feel attracted to a guy just because they were rich and I don't really understand how that happens either. I mean, I focus more on things like how much we would be able to relate to each other, their personality, interests ect.

esoterica181
Raven
Raven

02 May 2016, 11:42 pm

I think you are asking, is it OK to be attracted to a rich man? And, why does it feel like it's Not OK to be attracted to a righ man? Frankly, I think we've all been brainwashed to think that women should never depend on men for support of any kind including financially. That actually, the measure of a woman is inversely related to the amount of support she gets from the male sex. The less support, the more the woman. Unfortunately, this mindset leaves desire out of the equation entirely. I dated a man who made a lot of money, drove a fast car and that scared me a lot. I felt inferior to him. He was also not the greatest at building up my self-esteem and I had this nagging feeling that I was actually only out for his money...

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:20 am

Hmmm....why men have this impression, it's because there's a massive input of that:

- Because we are raised by our moms and dads on this idea.
- Because it is what society keeps telling us.
- Because we saw it at school.
- Because we see it in media.
- Because we see how many girls react and sigh while seeing the fanciness of royal and celeb weddings. (ie. Prince William and Katy wedding).
- Because we saw many girls call themselves princesses or wanting to be treated as princesses.
- Because we see how many girls sigh upon seeing guys in fancy cars.
- Because we see and hear how many girls want their wedding plans and honey month, and believe me, the standards they put require a good earner man.
- Because we see and hear how many girls very favorably, with envy, of someone's new boyfriend if he's rich or makes a lot ('Oh, he's a senior engineer working in UAE? wow he's surely greasy') or of someone getting married to a rich or high earner husband - in fact, for many this is the first thing they ask about ie. what his status?.
- Because we see and hear what our female friends talk and want from men, and they would spit out everything.
- Because we see and hear women talking about guy's expensive gifts to their girlfriends/wives - and would judge harshly on what they consider cheap, and we see many women love to flash on social media their diamond ring/necklace.
- Because we see it in women magazine columns, we read women encouraging other women for going for rich men.
- Because we see how much books such as The Rules get success among women, and we see romance movies (where the protagonists are almost always very rich) get success among the general populace of women (I don't think think Fifty Shades of Grey would be a popular fantasy if Mr grey wasn't millionaire, as I have read from women talking about this subject).
- Because we see what many girls write on their dating profiles, surprise, we know how to read.
- Because some of them expect the man to pay always, for dates and vacations. Because we are often judged by some of them very negatively when going dutch (real life experience).
- Because many of us got rejected based on that only, for being the less earner.
- Because some of us felt the sudden increase of attention upon promotion.
- Because we got asked how much we make by some girls on first dates (happened to me twice few years ago, and even though they were uni students back then who earned nothing, they wanted more).
-Because we see examples of women not wanting and not respecting their men anymore just quickly after their men losing their jobs, divorce often occur quickly after.

Because....it's what we see in life, we live on the same planet, we live among the women, we have ears and eyes and not entirely isolated from the world.

Hmmm.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 03 May 2016, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:35 am

@The_Face_of_Boo

Ok then using the same reasoning, my general impression of men should be that:

They are rapists.
They are violent.
They like war.
They enjoy fighting.
They enjoy sports, cars, and casual sex.
They think women are inferior.
They wish women would "know their place."
They think women over 30 are only good for cooking and cleaning for them.
They like to control women.
They are more interested in a woman's appearance than anything else.
They will cheat on their wives/gfs if another hotter/younger woman comes along.
They kill things for fun.
They like to belch and fart as much as possible.
They are dirty.
They are messy.

Oh, and I forgot:

They will abandon the women they get pregnant.
They will abandon their children to be raised by their mothers.

Last edited by Yigeren on 03 May 2016, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:37 am

^ The difference is that I have used 'many girls' and 'some' and emphasized on that , while you are saying 'they'.

So you are the one who's generalizing. ;)

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:41 am

You stated that that is why men have that impression. I stated that then based on my experiences, those things should be my impression of men. Those are things that I've been shown by personal experience, the media, stories of other people, comments by men online, comments by men in real life.

So I guess it must be ok for me to think that those things are true.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:43 am

Yes it is justified for you to think like that.

We're even. :|

But I am replying to the OP's thread in particular.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:52 am

The point is that people ought to just grow the f up already and not believe every stereotype that they come across.

People in general are bad. So there are going to be an awful lot of people to be avoided. Men who want a nice woman ought to look for them instead of turning them off with nasty attitudes.

Just like women shouldn't go for bad boys then complain about it when they behave in that manner.

And if a person is rejected by everyone, there's probably a reason for it, and that reason is not that the problem lies with everyone else.

I mean, I could just go around complaining that it's everyone else's fault that I have no friends, and that people should just accept that I have insomnia and miss work, and I should just be handed everything because I deserve it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:54 am

I am not complaining, I am just replying to Allie's main post.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:55 am

No, I'm complaining because this whole nonsense that was started is pissing me off.

Sorry.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 6:09 am

Yigeren wrote:
The point is that people ought to just grow the f up already and not believe every stereotype that they come across.

People in general are bad. So there are going to be an awful lot of people to be avoided. Men who want a nice woman ought to look for them instead of turning them off with nasty attitudes.

Just like women shouldn't go for bad boys then complain about it when they behave in that manner.

And if a person is rejected by everyone, there's probably a reason for it, and that reason is not that the problem lies with everyone else.

I mean, I could just go around complaining that it's everyone else's fault that I have no friends, and that people should just accept that I have insomnia and miss work, and I should just be handed everything because I deserve it.

Thanks for replying I don't think I can deal with another argument today. I second what she said

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 6:18 am

While hardly conclusive evidence, taking a peek at Harlequin Romance titles (a genre writteny by, catering to and almost exclusively consumed by women) would suggest that the fantasy/trend/desire isn't an uncommon one.

"Becoming The Tycoon's Bride: Chosen as The Sheikh's Wife"

"The Tycoon Who Healed Her Heart"

"Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire?"

"Miss Prim And The Billionaire"

"Tipping The Waitress With Diamonds"

"Taken by the Billionaire Werewolf"... :lol:

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 6:51 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
While hardly conclusive evidence, taking a peek at Harlequin Romance titles (a genre writteny by, catering to and almost exclusively consumed by women) would suggest that the fantasy/trend/desire isn't an uncommon one.

"Becoming The Tycoon's Bride: Chosen as The Sheikh's Wife"

"The Tycoon Who Healed Her Heart"

"Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire?"

"Miss Prim And The Billionaire"

"Tipping The Waitress With Diamonds"

"Taken by the Billionaire Werewolf"... :lol:

There are also loads on aliens, werewolf and vampires. Doesn't mean people want to date them

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 7:08 am

Alliekit, you'll soon find (if you haven't already realized it) that there is NO safe place for women to discuss issues on WP. An angry, maladjusted minority of men seek out threads like this one to hijack, derail, and spew misogyny.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 7:18 am

I've seen the werewolf and the vampire ones, but I don't think I've seen any with aliens. Just for a laugh, have you got any sample titles?

And I did say it wasn't conclusive evidence, but given that a fantasy isn't constrained by reality, it can easily veer off into impossible-territory for the sake of the story. That being said, the prevalence of wealth as a characteristic for the desired man in these works suggests that the statement "many women are attracted to wealth and social status" isn't unreasonable.

YippySkippy wrote:
Alliekit, you'll soon find (if you haven't already realized it) that there is NO safe place for women to discuss issues on WP. An angry, maladjusted minority of men seek out threads like this one to hijack, derail, and spew misogyny.

Is that supposed to be directed at me? If by "safe place" you mean a place from which men are banned, then you are quite correct. However, my intention wasn't to derail, and I'd like to think I havent "spewed" anything of the sort.

alex
Developer
Developer

03 May 2016, 7:22 am

guys, this is the women's discussion forum, not the love and dating forum.

While there is an element of truth in both sides of this issue, I don't understand why people have to be so combative in discussing this.

Obviously there are stereotypes in society that are incorrect (and some stereotypes that exist for a reason even if they don't apply to all men and all women).

It would be way cooler if people discussed these things in a civil manner.