Do people really know what Asperger's syndrome is??

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 9:18 am

MistDragonsong wrote:
I heard everyone calling Asperger's syndrome a disability.

It's not.
That all depends on how you are affected. You can't get a diagnosis unless the symptoms and traits impair you.

Wreck It Ralph

ShiningStar25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2018, 11:37 am

I dont think people know what it is. I’ve had several of people say “Oh you don’t look autistic” but as soon as one of my traits shows up they’re confused as heck or when I tell people I try to be friends with im autistic and I dont understand they still think i’m just doing it for giggles even though im confused as heck!

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2018, 1:31 pm

obsessingoverobsessions wrote:
with both positive and negative sides.

Positive what? There's nothing positive about it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 2:37 pm

ShiningStar25 wrote:
I dont think people know what it is. I’ve had several of people say “Oh you don’t look autistic” but as soon as one of my traits shows up they’re confused as heck or when I tell people I try to be friends with im autistic and I dont understand they still think i’m just doing it for giggles even though im confused as heck!
I get that a lot as well. No one wants to believe that I am Autistic or actually disabled because I don't look the part but as soon as I do something that is obviously Autistic like stim or not understand things people think I should understand, they blame me and get upset at me and tell me that I should not stim or that I should understand what they are saying and respond correctly. I hate that. They try to convince themselves that I am not Autistic and then if I do something Autistic they get upset at me for doing it.

Wreck It Ralph

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 11:48 am

MistDragonsong wrote:

It's not.

MistDragonsong, it's not a disability from the perspective of my people;however, under the guidelines pertaining to Social Security Administration of America it's classified as a legitimate disability.Yeah, crazy ay? Anyways, I see myself & Aspergers as just a different means of receiving,interpreting,collating data which may or may not result in different responses from other people on this planet.Yes, I have my difficulties but, I don't see myself as disabled in literal terms.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 12:00 pm

kazanscube wrote:
MistDragonsong wrote:

It's not.

MistDragonsong, it's not a disability from the perspective of my people;however, under the guidelines pertaining to Social Security Administration of America it's classified as a legitimate disability.Yeah, crazy ay? Anyways, I see myself & Aspergers as just a different means of receiving,interpreting,collating data which may or may not result in different responses from other people on this planet.Yes, I have my difficulties but, I don't see myself as disabled in literal terms.
I feel that I am quite disabled. Your avatar is beautiful by the way.

Wreck It Ralph

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 12:17 pm

skibum wrote:
kazanscube wrote:
MistDragonsong wrote:

.[/b]
I feel that I am quite disabled. Your avatar is beautiful by the way.

I fully understand skibum and would not sugarcoat anything cause, there are times I've felt as if my IQ is 70 or lower, yes I've actually felt this way cause, of the many social mistakes and often decisions I've made throughout life so, I feel a great amount of sincere sadness to see you feel unpleasant literally.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 10:23 am

I would say that suffering from Asperger Syndrome generally sucks
mostly because the way the world deals with people with Asperger Syndrome

If more was done to help people with Asperger Syndrome in terms of housing, employment / self employment,
social life and finding romantic partners (or even f-buddies).

They having Asperger Syndrome would be a lot more bearable perhaps even fun.
And the world could make use out of our special skills and different dynamic of behaviour.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:38 pm

obsessingoverobsessions wrote:
So today I told someone I think I have Asperger's syndrome and their reaction was, "oh, Asperger's syndrome is so sad!" with that horrible pitying tone of voice. I didn't say anything otherwise I would probably bore her by explaining it so I walked away.
I don't think it's sad, I mean, it's a brain difference with both positive and negative sides.

What makes people react with pity?

Back before I really understood what AS was, I felt bad for those who had it worse than me and had it very badly because I thought they were all unpleasant people and very mean and liker Cruella De Vil because that was how my mom made them all sounded to be when she would describe it to me. I also thought I couldn't imagine living such life and being an idiot because I didn't know what was going on like I go to a mall and not know what is going on there because I am so stupid lol. Or not being able to go outside and get something because I would be like "Oh duh, what was I supposed to get again" because I simply couldn't follow the instructions to go outside and go get whatever my mom asked for and go to the spot she said it was at. I also couldn't imagine my life of not talking and not knowing how to talk because I had the impression that those with very bad AS were all silent and never spoke a word because my school counselor said if I had it very bad, I probably wouldn't be talk to him right now because I wouldn't know what would be going on and what to even talk about. Everyone around me was telling me how lucky I was with it because I didn't have it so bad and I wasn't going around hurting peoples feelings by saying mean things.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.