Do people really know what Asperger's syndrome is??

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

01 Aug 2018, 12:55 am

It's not people's job to know about our quirks.


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


BobaTea
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2018
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 11
Location: Canada

01 Aug 2018, 1:01 am

That's so sad? It's not a terminal illness lol



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,426
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

01 Aug 2018, 1:19 am

No I don't think most people do, and its also hard to try to explain it to people. Like the only way I can think is 'imagine if you were an alien' and everything people do makes no sense and your job is to try to make sense of it and act accordingly.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,581
Location: temperate zone

01 Aug 2018, 3:04 am

MistDragonsong wrote:
Um, is anyone even responding to my comment?


Doesn't deserve a response. Too contemptible.



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,044
Location: my own little world

01 Aug 2018, 3:07 am

They might think you are psychotic and delusional. You know, claiming you are a stalk of asparagus. I get that response every now and then. Must come from watching Veggie Tales too often. :P


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,581
Location: temperate zone

01 Aug 2018, 3:39 am

Have never actually tried to explain what aspergers is to anyone yet.

I rarely mention that I have the condition to people other than very close people.

Among the few folks I have revealed it to they were either too stupid to try to explain it to, or they didn't need to know, or they were a psych major who already knew the basics.

If I had to explain it to someone, about the only way to explain it to a layperson I can think of would be to say "Have you ever watched the Big Bang Theory TV show? Well...that guy Sheldon Leonard is like a cartoon version of me, and other folks with aspergers."

Seriously: that character is not either psycho, nor is he retarded (in fact he is a scientific genius). But he is hugely impaired socially. And is impaired in certain ways (like picking up on social cues, and taking things literally) that are indeed traits of aspergers. So that show is actually a pretty good grade school primer for folks seeking to grasp what aspergers is.



BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,620

01 Aug 2018, 6:07 am

It is too complicated for the average person to understand. We even have Aspies here who have trouble with the concept of being on the same spectrum with lower functioning auties.

Their limit of understanding is matching you up with a well known fictional character, like Rainman or Sheldon Cooper. Yes, Rainman was based on a real person, but they know the character, not the person. And yes, I know Kim Peek probably had FG syndrome and not autism.



HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,648
Location: Orlando

01 Aug 2018, 6:14 am

BBT, lousy representation guys. Sheldon is an a$$hole. I can't stand to see Asperger's portrayed like that.

Of course, I don't have Asperger's....however seeing people on tv with it being portrayed as totally unlikable bothers me.



BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,620

01 Aug 2018, 6:17 am

Unlikable? Sheldon has more social interaction than many Aspies on this forum. He just married Amy!



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,044
Location: my own little world

01 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Have never actually tried to explain what aspergers is to anyone yet.

I rarely mention that I have the condition to people other than very close people.

Among the few folks I have revealed it to they were either too stupid to try to explain it to, or they didn't need to know, or they were a psych major who already knew the basics.

If I had to explain it to someone, about the only way to explain it to a layperson I can think of would be to say "Have you ever watched the Big Bang Theory TV show? Well...that guy Sheldon Leonard is like a cartoon version of me, and other folks with aspergers."

Seriously: that character is not either psycho, nor is he retarded (in fact he is a scientific genius). But he is hugely impaired socially. And is impaired in certain ways (like picking up on social cues, and taking things literally) that are indeed traits of aspergers. So that show is actually a pretty good grade school primer for folks seeking to grasp what aspergers is.
Do you mean Sheldon Cooper or Leonard? They are roommates


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,044
Location: my own little world

01 Aug 2018, 9:06 am

BTDT wrote:
He just married Amy!
No way!! That is so cool. I don't have a tv anymore so I have not been able to keep up with the recent episodes.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,044
Location: my own little world

01 Aug 2018, 9:08 am

HistoryGal wrote:
BBT, lousy representation guys. Sheldon is an a$$hole. I can't stand to see Asperger's portrayed like that.

Of course, I don't have Asperger's....however seeing people on tv with it being portrayed as totally unlikable bothers me.
Actually the writers of the show say that Sheldon is not Autistic/Asperger's. Everyone just assumes he is but he actually is not meant to be.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,620

01 Aug 2018, 9:15 am

skibum wrote:
BTDT wrote:
He just married Amy!
No way!! That is so cool. I don't have a tv anymore so I have not been able to keep up with the recent episodes.


You can watch highlights of BBT on YouTube.

Sheldon is perhaps the best example of someone who is obviously smart but has significant social impairments.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,581
Location: temperate zone

01 Aug 2018, 6:43 pm

skibum wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Have never actually tried to explain what aspergers is to anyone yet.

I rarely mention that I have the condition to people other than very close people.

Among the few folks I have revealed it to they were either too stupid to try to explain it to, or they didn't need to know, or they were a psych major who already knew the basics.

If I had to explain it to someone, about the only way to explain it to a layperson I can think of would be to say "Have you ever watched the Big Bang Theory TV show? Well...that guy Sheldon Leonard is like a cartoon version of me, and other folks with aspergers."

Seriously: that character is not either psycho, nor is he retarded (in fact he is a scientific genius). But he is hugely impaired socially. And is impaired in certain ways (like picking up on social cues, and taking things literally) that are indeed traits of aspergers. So that show is actually a pretty good grade school primer for folks seeking to grasp what aspergers is.
Do you mean Sheldon Cooper or Leonard? They are roommates


Meant "Sheldon Cooper".

I think that there IS some obscurely famous "Sheldon Leonard" person( maybe a songwriter, or something) rattling around in the back of my head.



xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2017
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 614
Location: Canada

01 Aug 2018, 11:30 pm

obsessingoverobsessions wrote:
So today I told someone I think I have Asperger's syndrome and their reaction was, "oh, Asperger's syndrome is so sad!" with that horrible pitying tone of voice. I didn't say anything otherwise I would probably bore her by explaining it so I walked away.
I don't think it's sad, I mean, it's a brain difference with both positive and negative sides.

What makes people react with pity?


A very interesting question my friend. Why do people react with pity towards Aspies like us? I think it is a combination of internet misinformation and good old-fashioned condescension. I have found that many NTs are always looking for the quickest route into making themselves feel better at somebody else's expense. And usually those victims are the mentally disabled including Autistics.

Most people today simply aren't well-informed enough about Autism to offer any real sympathy or empathy of any kind so we are left with tolerating their pity.


_________________
*** Severe High Functioning Autism - Asperger's Syndrome ***

ADHD, BiPolar, GAD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

02 Aug 2018, 5:25 am

obsessingoverobsessions wrote:
So today I told someone I think I have Asperger's syndrome and their reaction was, "oh, Asperger's syndrome is so sad!" with that horrible pitying tone of voice. I didn't say anything otherwise I would probably bore her by explaining it so I walked away.
I don't think it's sad, I mean, it's a brain difference with both positive and negative sides.

What makes people react with pity?


Some people are just into that. I remember someone who has a job that requires him to be at the place during holidays when it's otherwise closed, having other employees asking him if he had to work that day, just so they could do the "oh you poor thing, that's so sad" routine.