Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Spazzlo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2016, 12:11 am

My parents are threatening to take stuff away from me because I can't understand when they use figurative language. I guess the only thing I can do is learn it. Please help me learn figurative language!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 2:39 am

Well I am sure there is a webpage somewhere with figurative language on it. You would have to memorize each figurative language and learn what each of it means. For example, raining cats and dogs means it's raining very hard. So whenever you hear someone say it, they mean it's raining very hard. Pouring buckets also means the same thing.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 9:43 am

Could you perhaps explain to them it is part of your condition and show them information as to why you struggle with it.

Then you can ask them to help you learn as it shows your willingness to learn and they may appreciate that

My mum uses figurative speech all the time and use to randomly come out with ones to test me

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 7:31 pm

Wait, they are threatening to take stuff away from you b/c you do not understand figurative language.

I bought my son a book on idioms when he was pretty young, and he thought it was incredibly hilarious. He still does. he doesn't use them (though he makes his own very offbeat ones) but he understands many of them. The Internet probably has a number of resources. I found this by just Googling it: http://www.idiomsite.com/ I am sure you can find more. Your library may have other resources. There are other types like hyperbole, personification, metaphor and simile and others.

http://literarydevices.net/figurative-language/

These are often used in literary and poetry analysis, so if you are still in school, you may be covering a lot of this in school, already.

Have your parents given you any particular specifications on what you need to learn. Are they helping you at all?

Spazzlo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2016, 10:23 pm

Alliekit > They think it is bs when I tell them it is part of my condition. I asked them if they would teach me and said it was bs that I didn't know figurative language.

ASDMommyASDKid > They don't think I need to learn, so they didn't give any particular specifications on what I need to learn. They aren't helping me at all. I know many of the things like simile and metaphor, it is mostly idioms that I have a problem with.

Also, where is the thing for problem with parents? I thought this was the right forum, but now I realise that this isn't the correct place.