Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mournerx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2016, 3:11 pm

I was referred by GP and sponsored by my local commissioner trust, but seen in a different area to where i live (cos no provisions in Coventry where I am rn). I had nightmares before my assessment and was terrified of the process. I think inwas stressed because I didn't know exactly what would happen on the day. not knowing the details played a big part. Like you I was sure that I was autistic, but still afraid of getting misdiagnosed. My university research place kind of depended on the dx.

I thought maybe I would be seen as a 'borderline' case but the diagnostician said that my case was 'very clear' and he thought I am 'probably not surprised'. I brought 9 pages of notes and my partner (who I live with) as well as old school reports and some medical records. I did not have to do puzzle tests or anything like that. He used the DISCO.

twitter @zettelstelle

Dxed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder 16/04/2016

Formal diagnosis is for access to services, not to validate me as Autistic. Self-diagnosis is valid.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 9:47 am

Benzuko wrote:
eggheadjr wrote:
Getting formally diagnosed helped my marriage a lot. My wife and I now both have an explanation for why I do/did certain things and work together to work things out when they present a problem.

Also, now that my wife knows what's going on with me, both her and I can tap into resources (online, etc.) to see how we can make things better - rather than just 'winging it'.

So how did your assessment go? This is why I really need to get the right diagnosis.

As it turned out I had cousin who was already diagnosed with Asperger's - and I just knew I was a lot like him. I was having problems at both work and home so I went to see the company psychologist at work - she suggested I take the matter to my family doctor, which I did. My family doctor knew my history of anxiety issues but was unsure about Asperger's so he referred me to the certified psychologist at the medical clinic where he worked.

I laid everything out for the certified psychologist, she ran me through the Autism Quotient tests and also did fair bit of counselling with me on how I am in certain situations, relationships etc. After about five, one hour sessions of assessments and counselling the psychologist indicated that in her professional opinion I met the diagnostic criteria for a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome. She then wrote a letter indicating such to my family doctor and also gave me a letter to take to my work to give to my boss to make my employer aware and also outlining what workplace accommodation I would require. (In Canada there are laws around the accommodation of disabled people in the workplace and autism is considered a disability).

Benzuko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2016, 10:09 pm

Well I had my assessment,

The psychologist said that she hasn't seen someone who meets the criteria for Aspergers as much as me for a while. It only lasted 2 hours, but she felt very comfortable with diagnosing me. She just has to phone my sister now to get some details about me growing up, and I'm all done.

Thank you to those who stepped in with advice.

Adifferentera
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2017, 5:49 pm

A friend of my Mom's told her that I might have Asperger's. I have read a book by John Elder and noticed that many of his "tendencies" were/are similar to mine.

I am worried about being diagnosed officially because I do not want to be an outcast if/when my medical files are released for any reason. I am afraid of being seen as insane, as someone to be avoided. I was misdiagnosed with ADD around ages 7-9, it was embarrassing to have a box with a blinking light to "focus" my attention. The box was seen by all of the classmates.

I also fear having my Constitutional Rights restricted; I live in the USA and enjoy exercising my Second Amendment Right.