Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ArtisticSockCollector87
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2016, 12:56 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has these problems and how they've overcome them. Whenever I get too excited or happy about something my chest feels really weird and it's like I can't breathe properly, and when there's a loud sound, strong scent or touch (being too close to people, the tags on clothing, my bangs on my forehead, etc) I get really anxious and irritable. I'd like to know what solutions people have for this while remaining fairly inconspicuous, as I've heard people suggest headphones but that isn't always possible. I've never heard anyone talk about the happiness problem I have though. Thank you!

Diagnosis- never been evaluated
Interests- psychology (currently ASDs specifically), radiation, politics, SPACE STUFF

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 2:35 pm

Yah - I get that sometimes. It's like the excitability spills over into anxiety and hyperventilation.

I've learned to focus on calming myself down when I start to feel that way.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 9:20 am

Spend quality alone time the more possible when not outdoors. Although this doesn't make me hyperventilate, but feel dizzy or shut down/"in a foggy state", it's very irritating.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 9:36 am

I get this all the time. I've realised that it depends on my general state of health, personally. It might not help you but trying to get a good night's sleep, eating regularly and staying away from stimulants and processed sugar might help. You could also train yourself to count silently to 10 when you hear a loud sound or smell something unpleasant and if possible, go to a different place and repeat relaxing thoughts to yourself that make you feel peaceful and happy. I also find carrying herbs/flowers I like the smell of in my pocket and pulling them out in times of stress helps to ease it. Gum leaves are awesome. :)

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 10:00 am

I second that, sleeping well and enough makes a great difference in bearing the outside world.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.