Banned books, what do you think about Catcher in the Rye?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,738
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

07 May 2016, 2:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Top 10 Banned Books:

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley (1932)
"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck (1939)
"Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller (1934)
"Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut (1969)
"The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie (1988)
"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chobsky (1999)
"Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe (1958)
"American Psycho" by Brett Easton Ellis (1991)
"The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka (1915)
"Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov (1955)

"Catcher In The Rye" doesn't even make the list.


Slaughterhouse-Five, and The Metamorphosis were banned somewhere? Why? Those are two of my favorite books!


Brave New World you say :D
I did not read but u heard that it's very good book
When I was kid I every year go to special Summer Camp (it was very cool summer camp because was sponsored by our Polish Ministery of Health and therefore was free :)
it's was designed for kids with ADHD, Asperger, neurosis or drug problem ;)
There ware very cool teacher everybody love him because he was very good man :)
He once give me polish edition of Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell :)
It was very special Edition you could call it bootloged edition because it was printed in 80s without knowledge and permission of comunist authorities :-) on underground Solidarity trade union publishing house on printing press bought from money from CIA :D

This camp teacher was involved in highly illegal activity underground ring of selling books banned by communist censorship :D

And from what i know Kafka was banned too :D



AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,180
Location: Portland, Oregon

07 May 2016, 2:46 pm

WTH was Kafka banned for? I don't get it. :?

I've read Fahrenheit 451 is still banned in certain areas of the world. Can anyone explain why?


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,508
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

07 May 2016, 3:17 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
WTH was Kafka banned for? I don't get it. :?

I've read Fahrenheit 451 is still banned in certain areas of the world. Can anyone explain why?


With Fahrenheit 451, I'd imagine it's just a matter of criticizing censorship in itself, and that's a no-no for authoritarian states that practice it.
As for Kafka, I can only think it has to do in part to his book, The Trial, which ridicules senseless, unjustified prosecutions. That, and just how weird Kafka generally is, in the same way that the John Birch Society had monitored The Twilight Zone, assuming anything that weird has to be communistic.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,738
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

07 May 2016, 5:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
assuming anything that weird has to be communistic.



LOL :D
But even during communism ware who challenged the reality like my camp counselor
who risking their career just to provide books that was banned by government :D



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,508
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

07 May 2016, 5:56 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
assuming anything that weird has to be communistic.



LOL :D
But even during communism ware who challenged the reality like my camp counselor
who risking their career just to provide books that was banned by government :D


What I'm referring to was an incident during America's Second Red Scare, when people on the right - such as private citizens like the John Birch Society, and official arms of the US government such as the FBI, and the House Committee On UnAmerican Activities - persecuted the small, powerless American communist party, as well as people wrongly thought to be part of them. A lot of people's lives were ruined because of that.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,738
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

07 May 2016, 7:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
assuming anything that weird has to be communistic.



LOL :D
But even during communism ware who challenged the reality like my camp counselor
who risking their career just to provide books that was banned by government :D


What I'm referring to was an incident during America's Second Red Scare, when people on the right - such as private citizens like the John Birch Society, and official arms of the US government such as the FBI, and the House Committee On UnAmerican Activities - persecuted the small, powerless American communist party, as well as people wrongly thought to be part of them. A lot of people's lives were ruined because of that.


Such thing like Red Scare or Stalinism, should not happen at all, the difference is that during McCarthyism the American who disagree with their government. They could count at most on the political death if they were politically active, while in the former Eastern Bloc, ordinary people, not just politically engaged were threatened with a real death, not only the political one :|
From what I know that after Stalin's death in 1953, and Thaw repression eased



nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,645
Location: In the land of abstractions and ideas.

07 May 2016, 8:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Top 10 Banned Books:

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley (1932)
"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck (1939)
"Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller (1934)
"Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut (1969)
"The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie (1988)
"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chobsky (1999)
"Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe (1958)
"American Psycho" by Brett Easton Ellis (1991)
"The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka (1915)
"Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov (1955)

"Catcher In The Rye" doesn't even make the list.


Well, I guess my husband and I are "banned-book readers" as between the two of us, we have read Brave New World, The Grapes of Wrath, Slaughterhouse-Five, The Satanic Verses, The Metamorphosis, Lolita, and Catcher in the Rye. Many of those, we have both read. I can see why some people might want to prevent other people from reading some of these books, because they don't want the ideologies in them to be spread. While I am generally against censorship, many of these books are not fit for teenagers, IMO. I did read Brave New World and Lolita in literature classes in college. That was OK. I also read Richard Wright's Native Son in one of those classes. I'm surprised that book has not also made this list.



Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2015
Posts: 14,743
Location: Seventh Heaven

08 May 2016, 2:57 pm

I can't stand Catcher in The Rye. I can't make myself read it, which is a bit of a problem because I need to write possibly two or more essays on it and do a seminar. :(


_________________
Quote:
A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII