Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 8:34 pm

It seems the SJWs are always telling me that since I am a white male that I need to check my privilege. So I went to their recommended tool on buzzfeed and checked it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-pr ... wq9eJEeP0P

Guess what. I checked my privilege as they recommended and it says I'm under-privileged.

Quote:
You live with 19 out of 100 points of privilege.
You’re underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

I'm not sure what's dumber. This test or their insistence I check my privilege. But either way, I find the irony of the test contradicting their theory pretty funny.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 9:46 pm

Ahh, the problem is that you actually tried to do what they ask, when what "check your privilege" actually means is "shut up".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 9:51 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Ahh, the problem is that you actually tried to do what they ask, when what "check your privilege" actually means is "shut up".
Not just "shut up", but something more expressively profane.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 2:00 am

Bill maher had said something to the extent of: "I'm white. Okay, I just checked my privilege."

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 2:30 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Bill maher had said something to the extent of: "I'm white. Okay, I just checked my privilege."

See, Maher is a liberal, and while I often disagree with liberals, I find them infinitely preferable to the social justice types who are the usual wielders of the bastardized language of academic feminism that gives us terms like privilege. Truly, they're the religious right of the left, and much like said social conservatives, damage the whole brand with their ridiculous crusades and demands for absolute ideological purity.

Maher did also host a show call Politically Incorrect, so there is that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 2:47 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

See, Maher is a liberal, and while I often disagree with liberals, I find them infinitely preferable to the social justice types who are the usual wielders of the bastardized language of academic feminism that gives us terms like privilege. Truly, they're the religious right of the left, and much like said social conservatives, damage the whole brand with their ridiculous crusades and demands for absolute ideological purity.

Maher did also host a show call Politically Incorrect, so there is that.

Absolutely. That being said, Maher never denies the existence of real racism, like too many conservatives do.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 7:47 am

45 not privilaged of course as a white man by 2016 definitions I am born a privilaged racist, part of the the problem, no way part of the solution :D

While it is nice the test had a social disabilties question, where are the the neurotype questions? Check your
privilege NT test writers. I need a safe space for the rest of the day after this microagression.(sarcasm)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 07 May 2016, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 8:24 am

Extremely profane thoughts are evoked when somebody tells me to "check my privilege."

Some academics do not to want to delve into the "real world." They reside, instead, in their "ivory towers."

They rely upon the results of studies, rather than actual interactions with people.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 9:40 am

You're using a buzzfeed quiz as an example of anything? Really??

Poor motivation

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 9:59 am

Here's the problem:

a. I am always "White".
b. White people always have "Privilege".
: : I will always have "White Privilege".

This means that even if I "check" my "White Privilege", I will still have it. Those who want me to check my "White Privilege" are attacking me for something that I cannot change because I was born with it and that is related to my skin color. Thus, the attacks are racist.

"Check your privilege" is a racist attack against white people for being white.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 1:07 pm

It's nihilistic, to say that there is either no such thing as status, or there is no reason for it to exist.

Even the anarchists will allow for some honorary kind of respect, when someone is informally better than you, for instance, stronger or more knowledgeable.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 1:28 pm

This "White Privilege" crap was not made up foster a dialogue between whites and non-whites, it was pulled out of a horse's pa-toot to suppress white people's right to free speech. Telling a white person to "check your privilege" is done because someone wants to discount anything that that particular white person might have to say - it's a "Get Out of Thinking Card" for racists who would rather assume that white people have had their "privileges" handed to them, and to summarily disqualify every thought and idea that a white person might subsequently present.

In other words, "Check your privilege" is merely a politically correct way of saying "S.T.F.U.!" :roll:

Sure, there is such thing a as 'Status', and there is such a thing as 'Privilege'; but to assume that every white person automatically has the same status and privileges as the upper 1% of the socio-economic spectrum is a very naive and narrow-minded assumption to make.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 2:49 pm

I think it's a mistake to say that white privilege is entirely imaginative. White privilege is about being able to walk or drive anywhere, at any time, when a black or Latino individual would more likely be stopped "routinely" by the cops. Or about being able to walk through a store without being eyed with suspicion for being a shoplifter, as non-white customers very often experience. Or how whites could go through their entire lives without being hassled by the cops for smoking weed, but blacks who do it find their neighborhoods are inordinately patrolled by the police, and are more likely to be arrested, convicted, and sent to a life ruining prison sentence for this "most serious crime." The thing is, we whites are almost completely unaware of the perks of being white, whereas blacks and other non-whites are very aware of it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 4:10 pm

Seems obvious these people have a combination of persecution complex and a really poor grasp on the realities of what other people can go through regardless of race or gender.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 4:29 pm

According to the DSM-IV-TR, Persecutory Delusions (a.k.a., "Persecution Complexes") are the most common form of delusions in paranoid schizophrenia, where the person believes "he or she is being tormented, followed, tricked, spied on, or ridiculed". They are also often seen in schizoaffective disorder and, as recognized by DSM-IV-TR, constitute the cardinal feature of the persecutory subtype of delusional disorder, by far the most common. Delusions of persecution may also appear in manic and mixed episodes of bipolar disorder and in severe depressive episodes with psychotic features, particularly when associated with bipolar disorder.

Is anyone here qualified to officially make such a diagnosis under the descriptions given in the DSM, or is it permissible to throw around unqualified diagnoses whenever it is desired to suppress the discomforting opinions of others?

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 5:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
This "White Privilege" crap was not made up foster a dialogue between whites and non-whites, it was pulled out of a horse's pa-toot to suppress white people's right to free speech. Telling a white person to "check your privilege" is done because someone wants to discount anything that that particular white person might have to say - it's a "Get Out of Thinking Card" for racists who would rather assume that white people have had their "privileges" handed to them, and to summarily disqualify every thought and idea that a white person might subsequently present.

In other words, "Check your privilege" is merely a politically correct way of saying "S.T.F.U.!" :roll:

Sure, there is such thing a as 'Status', and there is such a thing as 'Privilege'; but to assume that every white person automatically has the same status and privileges as the upper 1% of the socio-economic spectrum is a very naive and narrow-minded assumption to make.

Is that what the person who tells you to check your privilege describes it as when you ask what it means? Because that's not what I understand it to be whatsoever. In fact, I only hear that as what that means from people who seem to not have listened to the underlying principle of the idea. The privileges that I understand that are being referred to aren't even things that most people even think about as BEING privileges. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT eg: The privilege of not being harassed by police simply because of your skin tone. eg: The privilege to work a night shift alone because you are a man. eg: The privilege of having police automatically think that the woman needs extra help in the case of domestic abuse, that it was not her being the abuser.

It has nothing to do with free speech and it really galls me when this idea gets twisted around into being something it's not. It's like people who say feminism is about man-hating. Ummmm....man-hating is about man-hating. The definition of 'check your privilege' should maintain what it was at the beginning, not turn into the definition of what people argued against it meant.

Poor motivation