Trump's spokeswoman, Autism Speaks, Cure Autism Now

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 1:20 am

Elizabeth Empken is a Republican Party politician and a spokeswomen for Donald Trump. Her son is Autistic. She prevously worked for Autism Speaks to help them with relations with Government and as a lobbyist. Prior to that she worked for Cure Autism Now as a legislative liason. When asked about Donald Trump's 2015 statement linking Autism and vaccines on CNN she replied that there is no known cause for Autism

Her Twitter page describes her as Trump's Spokeswoman
Elizabeth Empken Webpage
Elizabeth Empken Wikipedia Page

Quote:
Empken joined Autism Speaks in March 2007 to manage the relationship between the organization and the federal government, state governments, and related agencies.

Prior to joining Autism Speaks, Emken was a legislative consultant and board member at Cure Autism Now since 1998. She initially coordinated grassroots advocacy for the first major piece of federal autism legislation, the Advancement in Pediatric Autism Research Act, ultimately becoming the lead title of the Children's Health Act of 2000, which authorized programs at the NIH, CDC, and HRSA.

Emken advocated for the Combating Autism Act of 2006 on behalf of Cure Autism Now, Autism Speaks, and 17 other leading autism organizations. The Combating Autism Act of 2006 passed in December 2006, and authorizes nearly $1 billion over the next 5 years to "combat" autism through research, screening, early detection and early intervention.

In 2007, she launched a multi-state campaign to secure insurance coverage for autism-related services. Fifteen states approved and enacted these measures; similar legislation is pending in over twenty others. Florida Governor Charlie Crist appointed her to the Governor's Task Force on Autism Spectrum Disorders.[4]

In 2008 she officially registered as a lobbyist for Autism Speaks, and in 2009 she lobbied for numerous bills related to healthcare reform and combatting autism.[5][6]

Not objective website but that is the only place I can find her quoted about vaccines

Now that Trump has wrapped up the nomination there is all this speculation about whom he will hire in order figure out general stratagy and what a Trump presidency will be like. Was this person he actually hired just using her expertise to earn money or does this say anything larger about Trump's priorities?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 6:47 am

In a related matter Bob Wright said to be a long time friend of Trump has endorsed him on Twitter

Bob Wright – ‏@bobwrightnbc
Go Donald trump. The best choice for all republicans and all Americans!

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 3:03 pm

If he were to win, and if she were to become part of his Cabinet, I think perhaps a Trump presidency could be very bad for Autistics...

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 12:15 am

Edenthiel wrote:
If he were to win, and if she were to become part of his Cabinet, I think perhaps a Trump presidency could be very bad for Autistics...

Not just for those on the spectrum, anyone with a disability, disorder, health issue, etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 3:48 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
Not just for those on the spectrum, anyone with a disability, disorder, health issue, etc.
This presents a definite possibility of a severe setback in government support for the disabled if Mr. Trump's wins the election (which hasn't happened yet).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 May 2016, 11:21 am

It looks very likely that a third major candidate may arise, which is something I expected, as some of the more religious types don't like Trump. If this happens, Hillary is virtually assured to return to the White House, as the chief this time!

She may be rather a poor choice overall but better the devil you know, than the untried one from NYC...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2016, 12:16 pm

How would it be bad for autistics? As someone who enjoys standing out from the crowd, I have practiced all my life resisting pressure to conform to society. I'd love to take part in political activism and such. It'll be dangerous, but exciting.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 6:24 am

If fears come to fruition it would be bad not neccesarly because services will be cut but where the priorities will be. If the services are given with the idea of "recovering" autistics because autistics are vaccine caused mutants or just Autism is a really really bad epidemic that needs to be stamped out that can not be good. If standing out from the crowd means losing employment or insurence because you refuse a consensus treatment or cure that will not be good. For Autistics who do not have the social skills to stand up or are children this would be harmful.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 9:11 am

Of course Trump said something thoughtless about autistic people. Unless his daughter Ivanka becomes autistic he won't know anything about it.

But I'm not convinced Trump will cut any kind of social programs. I think he's a closet Keynesian. Which was more or less what Reagan was.

Quote:
Keynes aimed to achieve a key social democratic objective without changing the ownership of industry.

I'm interested to see if Trump would actually do anything to bring manufacturing back to the US. I know Clinton would not, and the other people who were on the GOP side would not have. Bernie would have done something. It would be very helpful for all minorities, including autistic people, to have manufacturing jobs available again. Something where you can earn a middle-class income without requiring a college degree. Many people need to work immediately, or have no interest in going to college. Why should that prevent you from getting a job with a living wage? Factory work is often actually pleasant, depending on what you're doing and which company you're working for.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 May 2016, 9:43 am

I've never understood the demonization of Autism Speaks as our worst enemies even if you disagree with them on some thing, what is the big issue with Elizabeth Empken other than the work she has done for autism? She's been involved in politics for a few years now and was the GOP senate nominee in California a couple years ago IIRC, definitely more of a moderate.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 May 2016, 9:51 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Of course Trump said something thoughtless about autistic people. Unless his daughter Ivanka becomes autistic he won't know anything about it.

But I'm not convinced Trump will cut any kind of social programs. I think he's a closet Keynesian. Which was more or less what Reagan was.
Quote:
Keynes aimed to achieve a key social democratic objective without changing the ownership of industry.

I'm interested to see if Trump would actually do anything to bring manufacturing back to the US. I know Clinton would not, and the other people who were on the GOP side would not have. Bernie would have done something. It would be very helpful for all minorities, including autistic people, to have manufacturing jobs available again. Something where you can earn a middle-class income without requiring a college degree. Many people need to work immediately, or have no interest in going to college. Why should that prevent you from getting a job with a living wage? Factory work is often actually pleasant, depending on what you're doing and which company you're working for.

Trump is not your typical Republican, he's more of an America-first populist than he is an ideological conservative. These trade deals have stripped out manufacturing base out from under us, unfettered illegal immigration and abuse in legal immigration has depressed wages and crowded out the most vulnerable out of the labor pool. Trump is a builder, he's an infrastructure guy not someone that dreams of destroying like say John McCain. Building has been Trump's life work, I don't believe Trump's ego would allow himself to be a bad president nor do I believe he is owned by the special interests so someone that is genuinely trying to do the best possible job for the American people seems like the best candidate we have to choose from. You are 100% right that Hillary won't bring these jobs back, she will only accelerate immigration and sign more bad trade deals(even tho she is trying to say she is against TPP now ahhahaha)

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 1:33 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Trump is not your typical Republican, he's more of an America-first populist than he is an ideological conservative. These trade deals have stripped out manufacturing base out from under us, unfettered illegal immigration and abuse in legal immigration has depressed wages and crowded out the most vulnerable out of the labor pool. Trump is a builder, he's an infrastructure guy not someone that dreams of destroying like say John McCain. Building has been Trump's life work, I don't believe Trump's ego would allow himself to be a bad president nor do I believe he is owned by the special interests so someone that is genuinely trying to do the best possible job for the American people seems like the best candidate we have to choose from. You are 100% right that Hillary won't bring these jobs back, she will only accelerate immigration and sign more bad trade deals(even tho she is trying to say she is against TPP now ahhahaha)

Trump is Trump-first nothing more and his ego just wouldn't allow him to perceive just how awfully bad of a president he would be.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 7:38 pm

I wish I could emigrate.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If fears come to fruition it would be bad not neccesarly because services will be cut but where the priorities will be. If the services are given with the idea of "recovering" autistics because autistics are vaccine caused mutants or just Autism is a really really bad epidemic that needs to be stamped out that can not be good. If standing out from the crowd means losing employment or insurence because you refuse a consensus treatment or cure that will not be good. For Autistics who do not have the social skills to stand up or are children this would be harmful.
No wonder certain NTs seem to favor Mr. Trump.

If the "Go Trump" crowd succeeds, be afraid. Be very afraid.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 8:09 pm

I advise anybody of means, to get ready to emigrate to less insane countries. get ready NOW.

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2016, 8:22 pm

wait what memo did I miss about autism speaks being bad?