An interesting story about my history teacher

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2005, 7:19 pm

My history teacher told me today that one time, he had strep throat. He was only 8 years old. He wanted to watch "The Price is Right" one time, and he was very excited. However, when he turned it to our local CBS station, it wasn't on.

He was extremely shocked, even though he couldn't express it in words.

It turned out that Richard Nixon's impeachment hearings were on. He really couldn't believe that his presidency could have possibly come to an end.

It all started with the Watergate burglary, then President Nixon was ordered to turn over the tapes, and parts of them were erased.

For those of you who don't know, President Nixon quit before they could impeach him. I don't blame him for doing that. I would have done the same thing, too. He was replaced by Gerald Ford. If I remember correctly, things went fairly well in his presidency. However, the Watergate scandal made people very cynical about politics.

History happens, and my schoolteacher lived to see the Watergate scandal. Things sometimes turn around when people think a positive thing has happened in history. When people reminisce about troubling events in history, it brings a shock to some people even thinking about them.

So, what do you think of that story?

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2005, 10:09 pm

I understand why someone would become cynical after Watergate...

If the President is a mob boss... who can you trust?

After O.J., Monica, phony WMD's and Abu Ghraib I'm surprised anybody isn't cynical...