Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SeattleCrochetWoman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2016, 9:48 pm

An online friend of mine has a grandson who is in the process of being diagnosed with autism. I'm trying to answer questions but anything I say leads to more questions I can't answer.

I'm afraid she'll get wrong ideas about autism if I try to explain to her, and I'm not sure I know enough. I think I'm probably autistic, but that doesn't mean I have answers.

Does anyone know of books or websites I could refer her to? She really loves and cares about her grandson, and he's having a really hard time in school with kids either teasing or ignoring him. He's having some problems with his classes too-- I think he's in 5th grade.

She says he's really precise about things--can tell the exact date and time he started liking a thing for instance, and it's one of the things the other kids tease him about.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 1:59 am

This YouTube channel is a great resource.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 3:12 am

I've never found a good online resource.
Books are good to understand the condition, but they won't help much with those questions you pose.

So, I could only suggest an autistic/Asperger group in your area. If this option is available, it'd be a lot cheaper and you get to meet other people in a similar situation. You can ask these sorts of questions there. Otherwise a social therapist would be the next best option. More expensive, but they'll have some methods available to cope with things.