Trouble with phrases or common sayings?

Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

04 May 2007, 1:09 am

newaspie - About the "how are you?" I tried to learn this format......the hard way. I have actually said, 1) "Hi, how are you?" 2) the other responds back, "Fine, how are you?" 3) Then, I've said, "Fine, and how are you?"

Oh no! That's supposed to be just once each, not an endless loop - there's no step 3).....seriously, you'd think I'd learn this.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 10:09 pm

lab_pet wrote:
This can be problematic. Some time ago, on a different thread, I related this incident. But, I will restate since it's germane to the topic. A few months ago, someone I know was talking about a wedding at a semi-social informal gathering. He said to me, "I married my sister." I said (direct quote): "Um, I'm ok with that. But maybe you shouldn't say that in public, you know, given the incest taboo." I was being sincere - I interpret literally. He laughed hard and then explained that he performed the wedding ceremony for his sister and new brother-in-law. I immediately "got it," but still - embarrassing! I'm glad this man had a sense of humor. Others can be not so forgiving. He also commented that I was the only person he had spoken to that interpreted his wedding story this way.

I would take that the same way, although I'd probably just stand there looking confused...I think my "warning signal" would come up that I'm not supposed to respond to that as though I think it's strange that he married his sister :D

newaspie wrote:
Quote:
the whole hey,how are you,said to be polite is stupid anyway,since 90 percent of the people saying it dont give a crap whether people mean it or not.

I completely agree.. I'm actually extremely literal which gets very frustrating. I always say what I mean and mean what I say and find myself endlessly confused, upset, and frustrated as no one else seems to do that.

Totally agree with both of you.

lab_pet wrote:
newaspie - About the "how are you?" I tried to learn this format......the hard way. I have actually said, 1) "Hi, how are you?" 2) the other responds back, "Fine, how are you?" 3) Then, I've said, "Fine, and how are you?"

Oh no! That's supposed to be just once each, not an endless loop - there's no step 3).....seriously, you'd think I'd learn this.

I bet I'd do that too accidentally. Makes me glad I've never tried to do it right :D It sounds so weird and artificial, that so far I just mumble "okay" or "fine" or something and continue walking (or change the subject). At least I no longer go into detail about how I'm doing. I wish people only asked that when they MEANT IT.

I think when I first found out you weren't supposed to say (and this is really only a few years ago), then I got confused at a doctor's office and said I was fine when he asked that...only I guess I was really supposed to say...I'm still not sure 8O :?: