Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2007, 12:35 pm

How does one stay motivated at a job?

Seems like no matter what, after about 6 months in a particular position, I get bored and lose my motivation to get up every morning and go to work. I've been lucky so far that I've managed to get promoted every time I reached my breaking point, but eventually the luck will run out.

So how does one stick with a job for years even once they get bored with it? I don't understand this... to me it is essential that my job challenges me and excites me in order for me to do it well. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar and if you have any advice for me. Thanks

Doug

Kcihtred2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2007, 12:41 pm

find a little thing that makes you want to come back... for me its the customers and the money

lostartist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2007, 11:12 am

DougOzzzz wrote:
So how does one stick with a job for years even once they get bored with it?Doug

A paycheck is my sole motivation.

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 11:55 am

DougOzzzz wrote:
Seems like no matter what, after about 6 months in a particular position, I get bored and lose my motivation to get up every morning and go to work.

You have more peseverance than me, for me this happens within the first or second week.

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2007, 6:26 pm

lostartist wrote:
DougOzzzz wrote:
So how does one stick with a job for years even once they get bored with it?Doug

A paycheck is my sole motivation.

I wish money alone was enough motivation

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 7:49 pm

Gotta side with Doug on this one. When you're not happy, all the money in the world won't cure you. I've been there. And sometimes the answer to the problem is not easy.

Your coworkers can sometimes make a really dull job fun. I have some great coworkers, and on days I just don't feel like dealing with the routine, I remind myself that they're all there to take my mind off it. We're kind of our own support network, and we draw strength from each other and have little get-togethers when we can. So short of just up and quitting for a new job, you might try to make the one you have more interesting...with a little help from your friends. If that doesn't work, then head for greener, more stimulating pastures.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 7:53 pm

I don't think there's anything you can do... It's the great existential proletariot dilemma. Most people only survive by having a social life to take their mind off of it.
:(

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2007, 3:28 pm

ZedSimon wrote:
Gotta side with Doug on this one. When you're not happy, all the money in the world won't cure you. I've been there. And sometimes the answer to the problem is not easy.

Your coworkers can sometimes make a really dull job fun. I have some great coworkers, and on days I just don't feel like dealing with the routine, I remind myself that they're all there to take my mind off it. We're kind of our own support network, and we draw strength from each other and have little get-togethers when we can. So short of just up and quitting for a new job, you might try to make the one you have more interesting...with a little help from your friends. If that doesn't work, then head for greener, more stimulating pastures.

Good point. I think the happiest I was at my job was when I got along well with my co-workers. Unfortunately my situation now isn't so good for that. I am the lone techie working with a whole bunch of sales guys... pretty much the polar opposite of me. They are nice to me sometimes, but only because they need me to get their jobs done.

If nothing changes pretty soon I think I'll have to look for a better environment. Thanks.

Doug

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 8:16 pm

Sales guys? 8O RUN!! !!

They're an interesting breed - I've worked with a few myself. They think anything is possible - and as far as their clients are concerned, it is. Sales types are Type-A at their mildest, and stark raving, cut-throat "anything-at-any-cost" types at their worst. I guess the ones I've worked with were the mild ones.

Further advice: start looking now before that boredom turns to dread, and try to dig up stuff about a potential employer's corporate culture before you send them your resume.

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2007, 12:08 am

well I got another job offer within the same company. Looks like I bought another 6 months :D

hoping the new environment will work out for me... definitely a major change. Instead of working with sales guys, I'll be working in an IT department. Seems like it should be a better match.

The only drawback is the offer wasn't for as much $ as I was expecting. But I don't really see myself having a choice here.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 6:48 am

Long as you're happier and you've still got enough coming in, great! (but keep the classifieds from the Philadelphia Inquirer handy anyway)

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2007, 8:27 pm

I don't think the inquirer is going to help finding jobs in Houston (where I will be moving). :P

Anyway, ran into a bit of a problem. My current apartment complex is demanding 3 months rent to terminate my lease, and I can't afford this. My offer includes a relocation package, but it is a lump sum agreement, which won't come close to covering the expenses once the lease break is taken into consideration.

Now I'm worried I can't afford to take the new position :(

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 7:03 am

Yowww! Let me guess, you just renewed the lease not long ago and the job wants to hire you now.

I was close to that. I had a chance to move to Atlanta a couple years ago, but by the time they were ready to hire me, they wanted me to be packed up and moved from PA to GA in 13 days! Nope...not gonna happen, relocation package or not (they did offer one). So I waited it out and found the same type of job with a company much closer to me.

I assume parents, loans and other sources of financial assist are out of the question for you. Would there be any sense in talking to the apartment people about your situation, to see if they can defer what you'd owe them?

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2007, 12:46 pm

actually, I moved to Philly (from CT) just 6 months ago, also for my job and signed a 12 month lease which obviously I regret now.

The Houston job has been one I've wanted, and obsessed about, for years. It would be really hard for me to turn it down, even if I have to dip into my savings (3 months rent is approx 1/3 of my modest savings).

My plan is to politely ask my company for the money first. I'm a bit reluctant to do this as I've been waiting for the offer for months now, and the stress of the wait along with my current position has been absolutely brutal. A big part of me just wants to accept the position and put an end to all of it.

Somehow I doubt the apartment people will budge even if I told them my situation. I signed an agreement... probably didn't read it over carefully enough. I was given a very short amount of time to find a place to live in Philly, didn't really like any of my options but this was the best place I could find that I could afford (though I wish I spent less now).

anyway... thanks for the help.

Lessian
Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2007, 4:04 am

Aahhh, but what do you do when the pay will not cover the psych bills, the co-workers and customers just piss you off, there is no time for creative expression, and the social life is non existant?
thats what leads to burnout and breakdown: not the boring job, but the lack of solution.

cant endure then you can't inhale