Please recommend some latest-generation console games

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2016, 4:37 am

Please suggest some latest generation console games. The games I have so far are:
-Fallout 4
-Minecraft
-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
-Gears of War

I'm particularly interested in games which are very good to play in local coop, sharing the screen.
Also, beside those, games which resemble Rust, DayZ, and Fallout 4 would be nice too.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 6:49 am

Terraria is a good one... I've never actually played the co-op, simply because I'm not a fan of co-op, but it's a very good game, and the co-op is very popular for alot of the same reasons as it is in Minecraft. Terraria is on pretty much every console as far as I know.

It's worth noting that Terraria and Minecraft have a bit of a learning curve; what I mean is that they give you very limited info to go off of, and alot of the mechanics are things where you look at them and go "How in the bloody hell could I have *ever* figured out this thing on my own?". Both games have a whole bunch of aspects like this, so be prepared to look stuff up. I think both games are so very worth it though.

What else.... hmm.

You know, I normally dont suggest FPS games, but I quite enjoyed Destiny (and continue to play it), I think that one's worth a look. If what you're after is a story, it's NOT the game to go to, but if you're after.... well, things that arent that, this is very worth checking out.

If you're fine with downloading games, well... there's Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, and Nuclear Throne, both of which I seriously cannot recommend enough. I've got hundreds of hours on each and my interest does not fade. Both of them have co-op though Isaac's co-op is... very.... strange. Nuclear Throne's co-op is more straightforward.

Enter the Gungeon is also very good (another downloaded one) but is very recent, so there's a few quirks still needing to be worked out, but still, pretty good. Note that Gungeon and Nuclear Throne are both very hard games; you *will* die in them, over... and over... and over... and over...

Other than that... not much else I can give you.

The console I have the most for by far is the Wii U (and something tells me that's not what you're after? Correct me if I'm wrong) and other than that, I"m mostly a PC gamer that tends to avoid AAA games (heck, the games on this list that arent Destiny, I have them on PC, not console, I just know that the console versions are apparently pretty good). Not ALWAYS, Destiny there is an example of a good exception, but usually I avoid AAA games on console or PC.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 8:28 am

somebody300 wrote:
I'm particularly interested in games which are very good to play in local coop, sharing the screen.

Depends on the console.
On the 360, we've enjoyed Left 4 Dead, Portal 2, Dungeon Defenders, Terraria, Scott Pilgrim, Monaco, Perfect Dark (remake), Spelunky, both DOOMs (port), Castle Crashers, Jackbox Party Pack, The Cave, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance (much better than the PS3 version).

Castlevania HD is pretty decent too, but the 360 version doesn't let you play with Real Friends, for whatever reason, only the PlayStation (3?) version does.

Not to mention, tons of Rock Band/Guitar Hero back when it was "the thing".

Couldn't tell you about XBone or PS4 =)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 8:31 am

Hm, if you want local co-op, one of the Borderlands games may be good (1, 2, and pre-sequel), that is pretty much last gen (xbox 360), but my younger brother has been enjoying playing that with friends. I have not played it, but there is a collection released on current gen. Current gen is a bit lame in terms of local co-op (Xbox One), the Wii U mostly comes back with some fun group games.

You like zombies, then you might like Dying Light as a survival game, and the Witcher 3 gets pretty high praises all around.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 8:35 am

I second Witcher 3.
Also, Fallout 4 has a significant expansion called "Far Harbor" coming out later this month.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2016, 3:03 pm

The Firefight gamemode in Halo 3: ODST offers some very fun co-op. Reach's Firefight isn't bad either and offers a ton of customization.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 4:14 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Hm, if you want local co-op, one of the Borderlands games may be good (1, 2, and pre-sequel), that is pretty much last gen (xbox 360)...

Idunno about PS3, but on 360, if you want more than two players, you need one console per player, no exceptions >_<

Needless to say, we did not play that game for very long.

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2016, 4:01 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I second Witcher 3.
Also, Fallout 4 has a significant expansion called "Far Harbor" coming out later this month.

I heard some good things about Witcher 3 too. What is the coop like in that game?
Also, what about Metal Gear Solid 5? It seems to receive very good reviews. (I don't care if it has no coop as long as it offers a very good single player experience.)

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 7:01 am

Quote:
I heard some good things about Witcher 3 too. What is the coop like in that game?
Also, what about Metal Gear Solid 5? It seems to receive very good reviews. (I don't care if it has no coop as long as it offers a very good single player experience.)

I think Witcher 3 is one player only, but it's a really great game.
I don't know anything about Metal Gear Solid 5.

MidnightLupin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2016, 1:56 pm

Xenoblade X is really good. It has some faults but overall it's been a fun game. The only problem is, it's only available on the Wii U so if you don't have one you probably won't be able to play it

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 2:20 pm

Skyrim can be latest generation with mods on PC. The game is gorgeous with ENBs.

Also Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is not bad.

Honestly I am still on the last generation really, I don't have money for $60 games so I am always a generation behind.

New games are getting worse and worse though, I like the indie scene and games that don't suck. You can't seem to meet that criteria without going at least a few years back.

Grand Theft Auto V was the most I have paid for a game in years and I have to say its pretty good.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 11:20 am

You Don't Know Jack is the funniest thing among trivia games, and as Strawberry Shortcake would say, berry sweet. If you don't have at least one game from that series, literally what the hell are you doing?!

Undertale is an RPG-like single player game that is not only between PG and PG-13 at the absolute worst, but largely relies on your own choices for plot material - to the point that...well, just play it yourself and find out.

Retro Studios' two Donkey Kong Country games are a blast if you have a Wii, 3DS, or Wii U (Needed for Tropical Freeze). Speaking of Wii U, Super Smash Bros. is commonly accepted as a must-play for that system, especially if you have even one competitive bone in your body.