Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 8:00 pm

ISIS/Daesh getting ahold of an Nuclear bomb is pretty much a non existant thing. They have no access to Pu-239 or any other Pu isotopes, much less have the ability and technical expertise to construct one. While they may get ahold of Uranium, enriching it to U-235 is practically impossible for them as well.

OTOH, getting ahold of nuclear medical equipment that has radioactive sources is much more feasible for them. However, transporting it out of Syria or Iraq to a place that it will be effective agaist the 'western world' will be much more problematic for them.

Also, Israel is strangely silent about what is going on in Syria with Daesh, which leads me to believe that they have a bunch of stuff going on there that they don't want people to find out about.

Furthermore, if Daesh does succeed in building and setting off a dirty bomb, you can be rest assured that they will find themselves wishing that they didn't in a big hurry.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 1:05 am

Fogman wrote:

Also, Israel is strangely silent about what is going on in Syria with Daesh, which leads me to believe that they have a bunch of stuff going on there that they don't want people to find out about.

ISIS is Sunni, Iran is Shia. That is why Israel and Sunni Muslim states and Saudi Arabia in particular have a not so secret alliance.
Iran was the ally Israel wanted. It got Saudi Arabia - Jerusalem Post
Quote:
When Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon was speaking at INSS he made an offhand comment that he “prefers IS to Iran.”

What he meant was that Israel views Iran as a more serious threat, because of its strategic depth. Unlike IS, which has only one extremist policy which has brought it into conflict with the whole world, Iran is on the march in international diplomacy and its proxy Hezbollah threatens Israel.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Scarabola
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2016, 10:42 am

I doubt there's anyone intelligent enough working with ISIL to know how to use a WMD. I mean, they're fundamentalists, for one.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 4:44 pm

Scarabola wrote:
I doubt there's anyone intelligent enough working with ISIL to know how to use a WMD. I mean, they're fundamentalists, for one.

Doubtlessly true. :lol:

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2016, 10:23 am

Scarabola wrote:

It's honestly not a lack of intelligence that's the primary problem for them (and for other terrorist groups). Building a basic nuclear bomb on paper is pretty simple. The problem for sub-national groups, and the saving grace for everyone else, is that a fission explosive made of ink and paper isn't a real bomb. A real explosive requires rare resources, someone who can design and then actually build complicated component parts, and testing to make sure that the design actually works in practice before it's used. That takes time, money, facilities, and relative national stability. ISIS doesn't have the right combination of those things, even if the most brilliant nuclear physicists alive were to defect to work with them today.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 10:40 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:
If they had it, they would have used it on Israel by now.

Then I'm sure America would be next soon after.

They'd most likely run into the same problem as North Korea: even if you have the bomb, you can't launch it with just any ol' rocket.

Also, since they seem to want to rule their whole general region, nuking it would seem counter-productive. The again, I'm not insane, so what do I know...

Unlike North Korea Isis/terrorist have a smuggling network they'd likely bring it across the southern border or smuggle it on a cargo ship. Yes nukes do more damage when explode above cities but terrorist don't care about maximum damage but fear and death. Think 9/11 was bad imagine the fear after a nuke goes off in a American city. Wonder if there's be a massive exodus from major cities

If one wanted to really bring down the USA a emp to cripple our power grids throwing us into anarchy would be the way to go.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 10:43 am

Don't believe what you see on the news
Don't believe what you read online
Don't believe what you hear from other people

So basically don't believe anything ?

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 10:59 am

Jacoby wrote:
A dirty bomb is a real fear, how realistic I don't know but it is feasible given the excess of the material floating around especially on the black market. A dirty bomb would cause a relatively minor explosion but would leave a radioactive fallout that could turn a city into the next Chernobyl.

ISIS can be crushed as soon as the US stops enabling the Turks and Gulf Arabs to wage this war, give them an ultimatum; stop all support for militant Jihadist organizations at war with the United States or be considered amongst the enemy yourself. Iran is looking like a much better, much more stable ally, the same with Russia. Two big oil giants, we have one in our own backyard in Venezuela as well as our own huge untapped reserves so we don't need the Saudis or Turks.

Europeans should fear the Turkish-led Islamic invasion much more than any potential Russian one

Nah, a dirty bomb would just be described as a "failed bombing attempt" and the increased cancer rates over the next few decades would be news-splained as an anomaly cluster.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 11:33 am

sly279 wrote:
Don't believe what you see on the news
Don't believe what you read online
Don't believe what you hear from other people

So basically don't believe anything ?

I think it should more a case of, take care what source you believe. Use your common sense, and ask yourself if such a thing is actually within the realm of reality, or is just the rantings of lunatics or charlatans.