Where and under what context did you meet your partner?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

VinoVeritas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2016, 3:20 pm

I met my wife at church. I've always felt uncomfortable with "meet-up" venues like bars and dances because there was a lot of pressure to go home with someone and a lot of aggressive behavior from people trying to up-stage one another. I've never been very good at dealing with that. The church setting made it a little more comfortable to get to know one another and find out whether you might be compatible, without the pressure to "seal the deal."

I'm not suggesting that anyone go to church specifically to meet someone. I was already at the church because I felt comfortable there and felt like I belonged. I think the same would go for any other consistent social group: if you're primarily there because of a shared interest rather than to meet up, then there is not the same pressure to "out-compete" anyone else. If most attendees are coming back on a regular basis, then there isn't the same time pressure to get another person's phone number before they leave.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 6:35 pm

This thread also proves many here didn't meet someone through actual dating or dating-oriented venues such as bars or clubs, but met it through clubs or groups completely and absolutely UNRELATED to dating.

Ahhhh, life is so ironic. 8)

Makes me wish I did go to the local churche's youth group; I did for senior year but they said after that it becomes 'more serious' and more about 'your connection to God' and as an agnostic New Ager (aka not Christian like them) I wasn't in the mood to fake my beliefs just to continue hanging out with people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 6:38 pm

That's what I always say....people usually meet each other through introductions from friends or family.

Or at venues where both people have an interest in what's going on at that venue.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2016, 7:52 pm

I met my Fiance on Plenty of Fish...

Apperently I was the only one to hold a conversation and not send a dirty pic (nor did I ask her for one).

Our first date went very well, and mostly consisted of us trying to "out lame" (saying this worst things about ourselves) each other.

In this process we found many things we had in common.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 8:05 pm

Church.

[quote=OP]...Did you initiate, how did you 'out compete' other guys in these some areas?[/quote]

Oh wait, were you only asking guys where they picked up their partners?

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 May 2016, 8:30 pm

No, that may be how I phrased that part of the post but I am interested in everybody's experience. It's interesting information!

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 8:42 pm

Jacoby wrote:
No, that may be how I phrased that part of the post but I am interested in everybody's experience. It's interesting information!

Ok (thanks for answering my question, I honestly thought it would be ignored).

But yeah, I met him at church. I moved into a new area and being a serious Jesus person one of the first things I did was look for a church near home. Started going to one with the same denominational label as the one I'd gone to before moving.

He was in my Sunday school class, in choir, volunteered to do greeting and ushering at the same time as I did. We'd both go with a small group who ate at Wendy's after evening service, and eventually he started paying for mine, and then he asked me if I would go to DQ alone with him instead of to Wendy's with the group one evening. :oops: It took that for me to get the clue that he was interested in me.

I wasn't looking to get into a relationship at the time. The attention he paid me made him pretty irresistible. My first impression of him was "kind of a weird guy." Now he is my beloved and I am his. :)

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 9:08 pm

I wish we had a Dairy Queen here in NYC.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 10:15 pm

I met my husband 30 years ago when I worked at a convenience store and he came in.

As for competing, I can compete with the best of them. I learned how long ago.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

candycane1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2016, 7:37 pm

OK Cupid.