Where and under what context did you meet your partner?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 May 2016, 9:23 am

For those fortunate to be in/been in relationships, where and under what context did you meet your partner? Did you meet in school, are you co-workers, do you share some hobby that brought you together? I've seen the advice that you should double down on your hobbies/special interests and try to find like minded people but how has that worked out for everyone or is it just a cliche? Did you initiate, how did you 'out compete' other guys in these some areas?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 9:24 am

I was introduced to my present partner by my past partner.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 11:46 am

I met my husband at university. We became friends and, after three years, we decided to begin a romantic relationship.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 12:31 pm

At dance places (old-time dancing). We danced at various places for maybe half-a-year before we got together one night at a dance.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 1:12 pm

I made a profile on okcupid and mentioned my interests, attempted describing what sort of person I am and all that, and didn't try acting like someone else. After a few of what amounted to be more hook-ups than relationships over the years I finally did meet someone who also enjoys metal music a lot, likes going to concerts, enjoys sci-fi and fantasy movies/books and such.

But yeah he sent me a somewhat thought out message which caught my interest, seemed he had genuine interest. After messaging each other on that site, and texting some we decided to meet in person and take things from there. So we met up at a heavy metal themed bar and had a couple beers and we felt a very strong connection though we didn't decide to consider it an official relationship till like a week after or something.

I think finding someone with some simular interests and such is helpful, granted the personalities also have to be compatible.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 1:45 pm

I was on okcupid for a year and on other sites before then. All the people I talked with I didn't really 'click' with until I met my current partner.

We originally got talking because we both liked video games and we're nervous to meet the opposite sex. We are both pretty weird so got on instantly. Also it was just so easy to talk to him about anything.

Although we have some stuff in common we have different music and film tastes. So matching with someone completely isn't that important.

I have to admit that his humour and sincerity one me over the most

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 1:49 pm

He's a lucky guy to have found you.

If only I met a girl like you when I was 21.

My life would have definitely been different...and enriched.

Ah...such is Fate! I hope you find a suitable life partner.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 12:49 am

as crazy as it sounds, i met my partner sophomore year of high school during a speed dating exercise in health class. but of course i had already been drooling over the thought of him before the first actual conversation. we went on a walk a few days later and then were "together" for a few months. it had a volatile ending, then we became reacquainted after two years, and then it ended again. we became re-reacquainted two years after that and have now been together for over three years. it finally worked :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 May 2016, 1:19 am

I met my current girlfriend on this forum. I posted aLOT about being lonely, what I was wanting in a partner & what I had to offer within a relationship. It matched what she was wanting & she messaged me after reading a lot of my post. Me & her don't have a lot of common interests but we have some & our relationship personalities are very compatible & that's what's important to me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 11 May 2016, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 1:21 am

at work

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 1:54 am

It appears very few, if anyone at all here in relationships actually met someone in a way that the advice I see on dating typically is supposed to.

The advice I consistently see is 'work on your own life, work on your hobbies/interests, find clubs/groups in your area and start going to them, work on making new friends or ask your current friends if they know anyone, start an online dating profile and start taking the initiative and making an effort.'

The online dating piece of advice did work for a few here, but that required great patience and a few years of trying and/or failed relationships first.

I commend these people and their patience.

How I met both my girlfriends: Senior year of high school last year...

I guess maybe someday the girl I'm friends with online right now (we both had crushes on each other back in school but she left before we could date and now lives across the country, so we're just friends chatting now) something could possibly happen with her again, if she doesn't work out with her current boyfriend, ever actually moves back here like she's trying to, and I'm not already moved 4hrs away like my family's going to soon. :roll:

Such is life when everyone you went to high school with has betrayed you except her...

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 2:02 am

Heeeeyyyy...she's single again! She mustn't have lasted long with her bf, and did mention he didn't have time for her because of his online gaming addiction....

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 2:12 am

Outrider wrote:
Heeeeyyyy...she's single again! She mustn't have lasted long with her bf, and did mention he didn't have time for her because of his online gaming addiction....

Was spamming a usual feature of hers?

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2016, 2:23 am

At a yoga and movement festival, he was looking for a tent and came over to ask a group of us sat at a table for directions, he overheard a conversation about geeks and said something like "I'm a certified geek, I've been diagnosed with Aspergers". He was stood behind me when he said that, I turned round and we got talking. It's funny how that's the first thing I heard him say, and even before I got a look at him haha. If he didn't say that, I probably wouldn't have turned round lol.

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2016, 2:48 am

I followed the conventional advice (my Mum's advice too) and joined clubs. And then spent years getting nowhere with anyone that I wanted!

But then eventually, I joined a college club for students who had been or wanted to be in Scouts or Girl Guides. I was in library school at the time, and I was introduced to a scout who was an English and History graduate. I liked him very much, and we seemed to have a lot in common. And then I met him at a science fiction convention, and my mind was made up. I reckoned we had a lot in common, but most importantly I also found him very attractive.

I met him nearly 22 years ago, and we're married 16 years with two lovely ASD boys that we're in a good position to understand and help when the NT world doesn't get them. They're both in scouts, I'm the Cub Scout leader and they're both book and science fiction addicts! So the advice CAN work sometimes.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 2:51 am

The first year at the university. He was the first and the last one.