I want change 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
What about reforms 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Out, Out, Out! 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 26

Mbowx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2016, 6:21 pm

You seem to be more interested in stating views about the uk exiting the EU and making statements that suggest all or most British people share your thoughts, or maybe I'm misunderstanding your posts. I personally believe that we are better off in the EU, but I respect anyone's views and their right to express them. Not to keen on the scaremongering from both sides of the argument though. Sadly it is effective.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 7:14 am

ASS-P wrote:
...I wasn't particularly criticising you .
I'm against Britain leaving the EU , I guess , from the information I have ~ If I woke up to-morrow with British voting rights I'd vote for " Stay " ` just - whatever . :mrgreen:

Would you want the USA to join the EU?

Ichinin wrote:
Found these 2 things that all British voters should see and consider:

1. A very "street" analogy.

2. People who know what they are talking about - and fought and died for.

1. I'm not interested in the fear-mongering rhetoric of politicians, why would I be interested in this guy's clumsy analogy?

2. Fighting for your country does not impart special insight into the EU.

Mbowx wrote:
You seem to be more interested in stating views about the uk exiting the EU and making statements that suggest all or most British people share your thoughts, or maybe I'm misunderstanding your posts. I personally believe that we are better off in the EU, but I respect anyone's views and their right to express them. Not to keen on the scaremongering from both sides of the argument though. Sadly it is effective.

Why do you believe we're "better off in the EU"?

Mbowx

10 Jun 2016, 10:54 am

I have many reason but how about we start with maintaining effective human rights legislation. Leaving the EU would make removing a significant number of our rights easier. The conservative government has already expressed a wish to do this. In the name of our security of course.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 11:13 am

I have no idea about any of it because I'd need to research it for 6 months and I've been tied up with personal things and progressing thankfully in my life finally so have had no time to set aside for this, I am not going to read some newspapers and watch three debates and decide from that pool of information, I will never vote on anything I'm not informed enough to make a prudent judgement upon. I do know quite a bit about the backstabbing in the tory party over this whole BR-EXIT-EMAIN thing though, I always get intrigued with rifts in politics and the clandestine plotting.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 11:31 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Empathy , you don't appear to state what your vote is .
As a certain Clash song put it :mrgreen: .........

No I don't feel I need to jeopardise the vote with any obscure statement. People in my country are smart enough and wise enough to look beyond the greed of former and current party M.P's and their offshore economic transactions attached with high-risk investments, to realise how deep the mess my country is in.

Actually, even though I've placed a vote, I'm glad to see my underlying suspicions were confirmed outright, on at least one of the debates and feel that trade, within areas like New Zealand, Australia, Canada and continents that see very little growth outside their natural climate, will feel at last liberated by the progress that England can at least make, in terms of broadening financial growth and overall relations owing to greater trade deals in the future.

On another note, if anyone who is not Brexit and wants to have a thread sharing their reasons for staying in the European Union, I'd love to see another one, just in case there are some who are still undecided.

People have registered by now but, are still angling for a decision/vote.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 7:38 pm

Mbowx wrote:
I have many reason but how about we start with maintaining effective human rights legislation. Leaving the EU would make removing a significant number of our rights easier. The conservative government has already expressed a wish to do this. In the name of our security of course.

That's not really a legitimate argument. The European Court of Human Rights is a completely separate entity to the EU. Leaving the EU would not mean leaving the CoE.

Mbowx

11 Jun 2016, 3:35 am

Your are right but it makes it incredibly easy and we have a government that has already said it wants to. As part of the EU we can't just opt out of human rights legislation.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 10:08 am

As elected representatives of the people, the government cannot take our rights away without our consent. If you have a problem with any policy put forward by the EU Commission, what redress do you have? Without democracy, your rights mean diddly squat.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 10:54 am

I'm a UKIP member and activist, as well as a Leave leafleter and am off to a UKIP/Leave function tonight, actually.

I will be voting to Leave on June 23rd.

I am sick of this centralising, deeply anti-democratic, wasteful, corrupt institution. I want it to be destroyed.

It costs us a lot of money to remain in it, and I think we will be much better off outside it, with a trade deal until such time as the other EU 'member states' pull out too. Britain can show the world once again that she is capable of prospering outside the EU/EEA, and Europe will follow.

My MP (Nigel Evans) also wants Out too, which kind of surprised me when I ended up on the same battle bus as him.

Here is a leaflet from the Leave side:

Last edited by Tequila on 11 Jun 2016, 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 10:56 am

Mbowx wrote:
Your are right but it makes it incredibly easy and we have a government that has already said it wants to. As part of the EU we can't just opt out of human rights legislation.

The Conservative Government is completely stupid. It wants to stay in the EU but leave the Council of Europe, which is impossible. I wouldn't believe a word they say.

I want to leave the EU, the EEA and the Council of Europe but I still have a lot of respect for genuine basic human rights. What I don't like is criminal scum (both foreign and native) that use HR law to take the piss, and get rights they shouldn't have, like foreign criminals being able to stay here when no reasonable person thinks they should, and so on. I believe in things like fair trials, no death penalty, decent treatment for prisoners and so on.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 11:01 am

adifferentname wrote:
As elected representatives of the people, the government cannot take our rights away without our consent. If you have a problem with any policy put forward by the EU Commission, what redress do you have? Without democracy, your rights mean diddly squat.

That's the main reason I want to leave the EU.

We didn't elect the European Commission and we can't remove them.

The European Parliament is a joke, a rubber-stamping chamber. It should be razed to the ground.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jun 2016, 11:24 am

Tequila wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

That's the main reason I want to leave the EU.

We didn't elect the European Commission and we can't remove them.

The European Parliament is a joke, a rubber-stamping chamber. It should be razed to the ground.

Doesn't the European Parliament have like no power? I've heard they can only really vote on what the Commission wants.

I'm not a Brit, so I won't vote in the poll, but if I were, I'd vote to leave. I don't see the point of surrendering national sovereignty to a bunch of foreigners.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 2:53 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
'm not a Brit, so I won't vote in the poll, but if I were, I'd vote to leave. I don't see the point of surrendering national sovereignty to a bunch of foreigners.

Which is why I asked ASS-P if he'd want the US to join the EU. I can't imagine any American agreeing to that, yet I see more than a handful advising that we stay in.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 3:59 pm

I didn't vote since I don't have dog in fight and US will deal with Britain with or without EU. The longest we would not do so if our president was hostile to UK would be 8 years.

But if history says anything.. America's civil war is what happens when you wait too late to leave a "voluntary" union that begins to make a centralized govt and then dictate without representation (the moralization over slavery does not change fact that secession was a right given to State Power or they would have never joined the union. Famous amendments were added for the ever suspicious of govt and independent minded SC ) ^_^

If you Brits cannot elect or have grievance about the EU council. I'd say leave. The EU's viability without Britain is not your problem.

Ironic but in the end Germany calls the shot over all Europe as it has tried for 100 of years. It finally found the right angle

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 4:06 pm

...The US isn't in Europe , and , for the UK , it's not a question of joining the EU but reversing what's already happened.....................

adifferentname wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
'm not a Brit, so I won't vote in the poll, but if I were, I'd vote to leave. I don't see the point of surrendering national sovereignty to a bunch of foreigners.

Which is why I asked ASS-P if he'd want the US to join the EU. I can't imagine any American agreeing to that, yet I see more than a handful advising that we stay in.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 9:11 am

Our patron heritage is part of our culture and what primarily features trade and tourism with relations to Europe.
You can't lose what you've aready started and if the cost of leaving is to destabilize the way Europe is functioning its seedy trade formula, then so be it.
I think we'll be at the mercy of what the Brussels intervention already began, but thanks to U.K sovereignity, it preserves our sterling and limits the damage to our economy.
For those who weren't born patriotic, there is all this to take into consideration and outside Britain, everyone wants a slice of it. We can celebrate what we have as well, as what is yet to be achieved.
People can patronise Britains current ties with Europe but you can't deny that they'll still want access to our single market once we stray back into the heritage.
2012 was a global success for Britain not just because of the Queens coronation but because of how the Olympics took off. If we had been out of Europe then, we may have seen a huge boost to our economy instead of Brussels making the point of dictating our political system.
Foreign investors are supposed to back whatever trade ties we share with Europe, but I say that a certain number of investments is what is killing our economic growth in the wider margin. Take H20 train links to London as one. This was started almost immediately after the games in 2012. It is still being constructed with billions wasted and it cost 1 billion to build the 'gold digger' that forged through the tunnel that dug up our London past.
As well as this,millions of glossy leaflets posted through our doors to 'stay in' when the leave campaign have managed to effectively reduce the cost. 14, 000 nurses and doctors have left the NHS last year, dues to newly imposed sanctions on work and sharing the cost of British Rail with China. As with major cuts to our Steel Industry.
If anyone wants to stir up British politics with outlandish economic pursuits, trying to veto a deal by sticking pins in the eyes of British voters, then fine, but we will wake up and realise that the nightmare is still vastly far from being over, and will morally devise and financially currupt the lies that are being told to protect our status. So, in slight co-essence, the public are already being asked to ignore all hope of finding their happy ever after, in light that we must push on with these outside foreign affairs, which don't serve in Britains better interests to succeed.
I'm not saying I believe and feel liberated by everything that our European commissioner UKIP leader Nigel Farage is saying, nor do I think his party will invite change in open political debates over future modern politics, but by closing the borders in, including the chance of opening fairer trade deals to escalate throughout the modern world, then the working class and cut off from the stance on revolution, can feel they still stand a chance of achieving back emotional status through a system, that can at least contribute fairly and favourably within the rest of Britain and liasing with more European standards offshore committees, without losing more skill in the wider world that we must protect.
We may not be the land of opportunity but we have got the culture and heritage with strong ties to tourism and education to keep us afloat for a very, very long time.