Page 9 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 2:16 am

Autism shouldn’t have to be concealed by Madeleine Ryan for The Herald Sun

Quote:
AN essential part of creating harmony in our community is respecting each other’s differences.

Researchers from the University of Surrey have observed that when there is a lack of acceptance around the needs and preferences of autistic students in mainstream learning environments, they feel “limited” and “different”.

They internalise the negative attitudes and reactions of others and unrealistically compare themselves with students who are neurotypical — as distinct from developing a sense of what they’re capable of.

I’m autistic, and the fear of not being accepted has shaped the person I’ve become. Wanting to seem “normal” often takes precedence over what might be better and safer for me. Rather than saying no, I’ll act like I’m enjoying brunch out at a restaurant, even if a quieter space would make it easier to connect with friends and family.

If I feel besieged in a crowd, rather than slowly finding a way out or meditating to stay calm, I’ll spend most of my energy ensuring that I don’t appear to be affected. Which doesn’t mean that I’m not.

It just means that I’m pretending not to be. And doctors have congratulated me for that. They have commended what they describe as my “adaptation skills” and the ability I have to not seem autistic.

The problem being that I am autistic, and being praised for acting otherwise is painful because, effectively, it means I’m being praised for not being who I am.

I often feel a fraud because I do and say things and my feelings aren’t part of the equation. It’s like I’m a robot and once I find the courage to express myself, people are shocked: I didn’t think you cared if I copied what you wore! And made fun of you in front of everyone. You used to find it funny!

I recently watched myself ordering a takeaway coffee and even though I felt frightened by how tense the barista became at the sight of how many customers there were waiting at the register, I chose not to say anything. Then I stopped myself from laughing at the girl doing the dishes who was avoiding eye contact to ensure that she didn’t have to deal with the customers, either.

Whether we need to meditate in a crowd, or read the newspaper with a latte, or wish customers were more patient, we all want to be seen and we all want to feel accepted and safe. And if we’re too busy labelling things as “normal” or “different” there’s no room to see that, in essence, we’re all the same.

No one needs to change and no one needs to act like anybody else because, together, we must find a way to accept ourselves, and each other, just as we are.

I do not really have any words to add execpt to say excellent essay.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blueblood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2018, 2:41 pm

I hate it when people make fun of autism or try to use it as a insult when it is not and in my case if someone around me dose that my automatic response is to correct them or get mad.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 9:56 am

You took the words right out of brain.

Silvermane
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2018, 6:53 am

Thank you for writing this, this is my first time on wrong planet and I know the feeling of putting on the game face. Thankfully this is one place i dont need too.

faria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2021, 3:57 am

love the article!