Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2004, 11:22 pm

Yeah, on a human level, I like going by:

Safe
Sane
Consensual

myself... doing good to others does good for yourself, that whole shebang.

Ants can't grasp quantum physics like our top scientists can, and even that's a very small percentage of the entire human population. And yet, we cannot hear the frequencies that many a dog can. There is so much we do not know -- and unless we can figure out how to do "trivial" things like make cancer a thing of the past, I do not think we are even close to moving to the next human phase of existence in leaps and bounds. So who are we to rationalize the unfathomable? It does not make sense to me. :)

ilster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2004, 1:56 am

Is rationalism a religion? I have no problem with spirituality and religion so long as I can rationalise it. I rationalise organised religion in the sense that it offers form and direction to cultural/human growth. I rationalise civillization on the basis of the constructs and values of religions. I rationalise conflict and politics on the basis of religion. I rationalise the spiritual, in terms of the benefits it offers those who accept/experience it. I'm a happy little aethiest who loves learning about what the others think, but somehow doesn't quite participate (for the reasons outlined above).

Amy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2004, 3:10 am

todayiamhuman- when replying below my post did you mean that I cant be spiritual and religious cos God doesnt want that?

"sorry, but God says not to believe in anything other than Him does he not?"

Being religious is a spiritual experience, ever heard of the "Holy spirit", so it actaully IS a spiritual experience.

(btw never offended by someone expressing an honest opinion :wink: )

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

20 Jul 2004, 3:41 am

focused wrote:
I break the law everyday. I am socially unacceptable. Immoral? Depends on who you ask. I think it is respectable to be this way.

LadyBug wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering if anyone was going to hook onto this general statement. I happen to be too rule oriented, but have learned to be flexible and accepting. Hopefully you are not hurting or imposing on the freedom of others in your behaviors.

Focused, indeed, hopefully you aren't hurting or imposing on the freedom of others in your behaviors.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2004, 4:39 am

There are new "religions" invented... Michael Crichton forwarded an interesting theory proposing that extreme environmentalists have created a cult of their own. I'm all for being good to Mother Nature, but I can't support radical action which harms other human beings in the process. Here's the article, and you can ponder it over for yourself:

http://www.perc.org/publications/articl ... speech.php

:)

todayiamhuman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2004, 7:54 am

well my whole life around christians has led me to believe that 'there is no such thing as other beliefs, you CANNOT and WILL NOT believe in anything else' like god doesn't like competition.
but that may be just the welsh valley idiots though, its probably a lot different elsewhere.

Amy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2004, 8:46 am

I live in wales (hope I'm not an idiot....)

todayiamhuman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2004, 9:00 am

haha woops

well you seem educated enough.

focused
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2004, 12:52 pm

LadyBug wrote:
focused wrote:
LadyBug wrote:
Yes, I too believe in God. I am Greek Orthodox. I'm also respectful of others in whatever they endeavor as long as it's not illegal, immoral, or socially unacceptable.

I break the law everyday. I am socially unacceptable. Immoral? Depends on who you ask. I think it is respectable to be this way.

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone was going to hook onto this general statement. I happen to be too rule oriented, but have learned to be flexible and accepting. Hopefully you are not hurting or imposing on the freedom of others in your behaviors.

No, I don't hurt (physically) other people. I do my best not to hurt others feelings. Do I impose on the freedom of others? Inevitably. I misunderstood what Lady Bug was writing. I thought that she was actually suggesting that she was tolerant of other peoples beliefs as long as they were inline with her local laws and her community's idea of acceptable. Such a statement if it had been made would have been contradicting as religious ideology is often the source or foundation of law, morailty and social acceptability. You can not respect others beliefs if you are only respectful of your own. I now realize I misread the whole thing. So don't worry about me hurting others. I want world peace as much and maybe even more than beauty pagent contestant.

Today I broke the leash law. I was at a local park that has only one entrance. Therefore I can get a good idea if other people are already in the park. I can almost always see 400 to 500 feet in front or behind me. So when I am sure that no one is near I let my exceptionally obediant dog, Chester, off the leash.

***Note to self, for the 1000th time, if you think what you are reading makes no sense then you must be misinterpreting it.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2004, 12:56 pm

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 9:24 pm

I don't believe in a god, a deity or even a universal power, but I do believe that there is something greater going on out there..

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 9:37 pm

I would need to see someone's definition of spiritual and religious to know what they meant.

I'm a Jain. If saying I adhere to the tenets of the religion of Jainism makes me religious then I'm religious.

If being spiritual means I believe in a holy spirit then I am not spiritual because I don't believe in spirits.

Spook1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm

I hate the word spiritual it sounds very silly like something you shouldn't take seriously.

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2015, 1:19 pm

I'm self-diagnosed.
and I'm very spiritual.

Half because I like spirituality (all forms, and the study and practice of it)
and half because I really have to be, it's effin' hard out here in the "real world".

I have no idea how I made it this far.
I came very close to death on 3 occasions in my life.

Maybe I'm a walking ghost.
I dunno.

Thanks OP,
this is a good question.

Just because you have ASD or are neurodiverse
doesn't mean you can't be spiritual (or religious, but religion and spirituality are two separate things)

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 1:19 pm

Wow necrobump 8O