Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 8:57 am

RaeRae wrote:
As a teen I often walked right into the street without looking. People I knew got into the habit of putting their arm in front of me whenever we approached a crosswalk to make sure I stopped. I'm fine now but get that nervous feeling that a car is going to pull out of nowhere and when I'm driving I look both ways several times and still feel unsure but go for it anyway.

Lol, friends have had to put their arm out in front of me when I had friends. My mother also seems to automatically grab my arm still when I am about to cross too, lol as I sometimes just step out. Must be some subconscious desire to play hedgegog.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 9:00 am

Graelwyn wrote:
Lol, friends have had to put their arm out in front of me when I had friends. My mother also seems to automatically grab my arm still when I am about to cross too, lol as I sometimes just step out. Must be some subconscious desire to play hedgegog.

I sometimes just step out to and hope for the best lol.
It reminds me of when you see cats running across the road really low without looking for cars. I just walk out and hope nothing hits me.
Sometimes I try and time my walk as well so that by the time I get to the crossing, someone else will be crossing too, so I can walk with them. I hope it doens't look like I'm following them in a creepy way though... 8O

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 9:01 am

J-walking yes...
even if it's dead I still feel a car will come and hit me :(

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 9:04 am

it used to take me 3 rounds of stoplights befor I'd even attempt if I even heard a car in the distance because I know some people drive exceptionally fast and careless. A friend of mine gave me a really hard time about it, and grabbed my hand to drag me across the street, and as I followed, I kept saying "watch, just watch, a car is going to come and splatter us", and as soon as we got to the middle, this woman came driving extremely fast. They stopped teasing after that.

Now that I'm driving, I've noticed, I have this problem making lefts when there is no arrow. I'm horrible at the whole "if it's green then go when you have an opportunity" thing.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 9:07 am

Absolutely. One time I was so involved in my own thoughts I crossed a freeway without realizing. I did this a lot in one of the towns I lived in before that was very busy, I'd have really no regard for cars and I'd just cross. Now I'm a bit better but I do still have trouble telling when I should cross, I still tend to 'cut it close' and drivers get angry at me. I still have the "whatever, they'll stop and if they hit me well than they're screwed anyways."

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 9:09 am

I get angry when they hoot their horn at me and stick my finger up at them :oops:

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 9:13 am

Graelwyn wrote:
I get angry when they hoot their horn at me and stick my finger up at them :oops:

I want to but I'm afraid they'll get out and hit me :lol:

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 10:01 am

Nope, I'm fine with that. What I hate is trying to parallel park, especially if you have to back up. I HATE driving in reverse. Had to do that yesterday, and it looked like I was about to hit another car, until I got out and saw I had like 8 feet between us.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 10:10 am

lol, I'll actually find parking lots a street away to park in and walk instead of parallel parking-since I can't judge distance well one bit, I have absolutely NO idea how close the car behind me is-at least in front, I can judge myself by tail lights.

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2007, 10:26 am

Sopho_Soph wrote:
Does anyone else have problems crossing the road? I can never seem to judge properly when is the right time to walk, unless there are no cars at all.

YES! It's bad enough crossing roads here in suburbia (the rare times I venture out, that is), but NYC is a nightmare for me...Love the whole big city, bright lights deal, and the "lost in a crowd" feeling, but crossing intersections? Absolute hell. People there don't care if a pedestrian has the right of way. :evil:

And hailing a taxi is a lesson in pure torture -- I always feel as if my feet will get run over, so after I catch a cabbie's attention, I immediately scurry onto the sidewalk, far away from the street, and wait till the taxi comes to a complete stop by the curb. The drivers look at me like, "hey stupid, wanna ride or not?" :oops:

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 10:29 am

lol, I've done the same with taxis before, and won't step off of the curb until no vehicles are moving in my sight... always afraid they'll drive forward or go into reverse (depending on the side they are on) and run me over.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 11:00 am

Hamster wrote:
Sopho_Soph wrote:
Does anyone else have problems crossing the road? I can never seem to judge properly when is the right time to walk, unless there are no cars at all.

YES! It's bad enough crossing roads here in suburbia (the rare times I venture out, that is), but NYC is a nightmare for me...Love the whole big city, bright lights deal, and the "lost in a crowd" feeling, but crossing intersections? Absolute hell. People there don't care if a pedestrian has the right of way. :evil:

And hailing a taxi is a lesson in pure torture -- I always feel as if my feet will get run over, so after I catch a cabbie's attention, I immediately scurry onto the sidewalk, far away from the street, and wait till the taxi comes to a complete stop by the curb. The drivers look at me like, "hey stupid, wanna ride or not?" :oops:

I went to New York a couple of years ago and nearly died on several occasions crossing the roads. :)

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 11:11 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
lol, I'll actually find parking lots a street away to park in and walk instead of parallel parking-since I can't judge distance well one bit, I have absolutely NO idea how close the car behind me is-at least in front, I can judge myself by tail lights.

Yeah, I'll gladly walk further to avoid parallel parking. I also tend to park further away in parking lots just so there aren't a bunch of other cars and people around me for when I back up, and so people don't bash my car's doors.