Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 May 2016, 2:15 pm

Is anybody good at physics here? I'm alright when it comes to mathematics, but my physics knowledge is laughable at best, and I need help improving it.
I need help getting an overview of the mathematical formulation of the general theory of relativity. So far, I'm familiar and comofrtable with the mathematical formulation and derivation of the special theory of relativity.

Could anybody please briefly describe the general theory of relativity in terms of mathematics? Any resources which give a very short overview of general relativity using mathematics are welcome. (It would be great if these resources would assume the knowledge of mathematics required for it.)

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 3:12 pm

somebody300 wrote:
Is anybody good at physics here? I'm alright when it comes to mathematics, but my physics knowledge is laughable at best, and I need help improving it.
I need help getting an overview of the mathematical formulation of the general theory of relativity. So far, I'm familiar and comofrtable with the mathematical formulation and derivation of the special theory of relativity.

Could anybody please briefly describe the general theory of relativity in terms of mathematics? Any resources which give a very short overview of general relativity using mathematics are welcome. (It would be great if these resources would assume the knowledge of mathematics required for it.)

Try this:

https://preposterousuniverse.com/wp-con ... inypdf.pdf

Sean Carrol A non-nonsense introduction to General Relativity

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 May 2016, 6:17 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
somebody300 wrote:

Try this:

https://preposterousuniverse.com/wp-con ... inypdf.pdf

Sean Carrol A non-nonsense introduction to General Relativity

Thanks a lot, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. :D

spoirier
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2017, 7:47 am

I see this presentation by Sean Carrol is quite similar to what I usually find elsewhere.
I wrote an introduction to General Relativity in a formally much simpler way, where I can express and justify the main equation without even an explicit use of the tensor formalism, by focusing on the simple but still somehow "general enough" example of the universal expansion.