Assuming others know what you're talking about

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 8:38 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Oh yes, I do this all the time when I am talking. I assume they know everything about what I am talking about and so I tend to leave out important details because I think "duh, they already know them!" Even though they have no idea about what I am talking about.

That's It! That's exactly what I was trying to say.

I'm glad I was able to say what you were trying to say! :)

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2016, 10:01 am

I tend to overexplain. I believe my staff see me as the first guy in this Animaniacs parody:
https://youtu.be/pOtmdHiCJNY

lissa1212
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2016, 1:48 am

Yes, I do this all the time! I also often assume people know my intention behind saying something when they don't. For example, the other day I said something to my brother-in-law that was sarcastic, but he thought I was serious about it. But when I said it, it didn't occur to me that he might not realize I was joking. It seems like other people know how to convey to others whether they are joking or not, while I still haven't figured it out.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 3:04 am

lissa1212 wrote:
Yes, I do this all the time! I also often assume people know my intention behind saying something when they don't. For example, the other day I said something to my brother-in-law that was sarcastic, but he thought I was serious about it. But when I said it, it didn't occur to me that he might not realize I was joking. It seems like other people know how to convey to others whether they are joking or not, while I still haven't figured it out.

I can't comment on this. I don't know how many times I've felt stupid because someone's said something sarcastic and I'm the only one that didn't pick up on it.

Today at work, a colleague was carrying on about how friendly a co-worker of ours was (and he's not friendly at all. He NEVER talks to anyone!) and I was surprised my colleague felt this way, until he told me he was being sarcastic.

It still gets me now and again.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2016, 6:13 am

Yep absolutely, all the time...
Its so frustrating that sometimes I feel like giving up talking to people all together. To be honest, to me its like a role reversal of when I misunderstand someone who's being sarcastic.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:43 pm

Often, the clue that someone is being sarcastic is meant to be that what they're saying is stupid.
However, I hear people saying stupid things all the time. How am I supposed to know when they're actually being stupid, and when they're only pretending? :?

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 12:37 pm

I often act like this, and as a result most people don't understand me.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 12:39 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
I often act like this, and as a result most people don't understand me.

I understand you Kuraudo! :o

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2016, 4:04 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Often, the clue that someone is being sarcastic is meant to be that what they're saying is stupid.
However, I hear people saying stupid things all the time. How am I supposed to know when they're actually being stupid, and when they're only pretending? :?

Yeah got your back on that one!! !
Sarcasm I find is easy to tell if it makes no logical sense... But saying that when there is an element of logical sense in it, I become as blind as a cave dweller....
For some reason most NT's I know seem to think it is funny confusing the pants out of someone????? Grrrrrr.....lol

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 4:06 pm

I am often sarcasm blind, particularly since I don't happen to like sarcasm and find it extremely mean.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII