Dealing with motivation issues and a need for instruction

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

AceAndroid
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2016, 2:18 pm

So I have been in college for a long time. I have always been a great student -- all A's, scholarships, the whole nine yards. Recently, though, I have lost all my motivation. I do work for class when I am told to, but if nobody explicitly tells me to do something, I won't do anything.

I'm in grad school and apparently grad students should not have to wait to be told what to do, but I don't function like that. I meet with my advisor weekly, and I do what she tells me to do. I don't go above and beyond or do anything she didn't ask for, mostly because I've learned that I am not good enough at research to do anything right and I'll just end up wasting my time. However, my other advisor keeps telling me I need to do things I think need to be done and I should not have anyone telling me what to do.

I am leaving school for good in a few weeks, but my advisors want me to write a publication before that time (or do it over the summer, which I don't want to do because I have a job lined up). However, I have absolutely no motivation. I've convinced myself I'm done. All I want to do is watch videos about my special interest, and that's it. I will do any work they explicitly ask for, but that isn't much. So I don't know what to do.

Has anyone else struggled with motivation or had issues doing things that weren't explicitly asked for? I'm good at following instructions, but I don't do things on my own. How do you deal with not wanting to do anything except things relating to your special interest?