Have I detected signs of aspergers in my family?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Tom bbj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2016, 5:14 pm

Hello,

I stumbled on an article about aspergers in children and was surprised how many symptoms my six year old has.
Over the last week I have read everything I can about aspergers and now suspect that I have signs and also my sister. Please could I get some advice before I seek professional help.

My son.
Stims constantly, finger clicking, mouth clicking, tapping etc. He used to lick his bottom lip but this has stopped. He hates unexpected loud noises and will often walk around with his hands over his ears. Has a very elaborate bedtime routine which he doesn't like to change. Lines up toys. Avoids eye contact. Hates changes to normal routine especially at school. Etc etc..

Me. 37
I also stim constantly. Biting my lip, tapping with my feet and hands, pacing, hand wringing. I don't like social situations, I hate small talk. I have to escape loud parties. If I,m in a loud pub with lots of talking and loud music I literally have to switch off. I can't deal with it. I was given a high iq of 167 when I was a child. I have been in a relationship for 15 years and approximately once a year I just blank my partner for a couple of weeks (is this shutting down?) I excelled in music and maths...

My sister. 42
She had a breakdown when she was 28 and after a while was diagnosed with schizophrenia. She also stims, hair twirling mainly. She's clumsy, she's always been a Tom boy, often talks in a loud voice. Often the last to get a joke.

Me and my son both have/had trouble with imaginative play.
All three of us have had friends though.
Sorry this is a very rushed post I can add to my list of reasons to suspect tomorrow. I have to go. Would be very interested to hear any thoughts. Is this enough to go to my gp with or is he going to laugh at me!?
Thank you

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 6:01 pm

If he laughs at you, get a different doctor.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 6:27 pm

It sounds like you have a pretty good case, especially considering that autism is mostly genetic and tends to run in families. For example my mom (although probably not diagnosable) has a lot of autistic tendencies, her mom is almost definitely an aspie, my (now dead) uncle on my mom's side was very likely an aspie, and a cousin (the son of the aforementioned uncle) who is more severely autistic.

You should definitely run it past a professional and see what they think.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 7:53 pm

A formal diagnosis gives you a framework and a language to advocate for your child. For example, sensory issues are not pretend issues. They are real issues which impact quality of life, and workarounds should be found and used in a matter-of-fact manner. And also, patchy social skills where a child understands some situations but not others, well, it puts the child at risk of being labeled bad, disobedient, etc. And it sure helps for the teacher and other adults in the school to understand that such is not necessarily the cause. And maybe, your judgment call, other students as well. In fact, they might more readily understand than adults. Okay, patchy social skills? No big deal.

PS I'm an uncle, but not a parent.

PPS Welcome to Wrong Planet!! ! :D

Tom bbj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2016, 11:45 pm

Thanks for your replies. Sorry it was such a rushed first post!

I should have also added that I have taken the 2 online tests for aspergers a day both have said I'm likely to be aspie.

What makes me a bit doubtful is that none of us really obsess about a particular subject although me and my sister both have addictive personalities. We all have a pretty good sense of humour and people do like us. We are generally happy smiley people who are up for a good laugh. I guess you could say we have difficulties with close relationships though.

Another thing is that Me and my son have always loved playing sports and are quite spacially aware. My sister not so much...

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 12:50 am

If your symptoms (or your sons) aren't causing any ongoing complications in your daily life I would say a formal diagnoses isn't necessary. The issues don't have to be HUGE but if it's really interfering with your life then a diagnoses should be made promptly.

For example you WANT to go a bar or pub but really can't handle the noise; that warrants a diagnoses, if you don't LIKE the pubs at all then there's no diagnoses needed.

All that aside yeah you have a few autistic traits.

As for your sister if she's diagnosed schizophrenic she's probably schizophrenic. Autism and schizophrenia tend to be similar behaviour wise.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:47 pm

Many of us have interests which change over time.

I myself am comfortably self-diagnosed, or perhaps I'm aspie-light or aspie-friendly and that would be okay, too. But I'm a 53-year-old man. There's not a whole lot of benefit to me getting a diagnosis.

With a six-year old boy just starting public school, a diagnosis helps to prevent teachers from just treating the young person as 'bad.' At time, aspies and authoritarianism is like oil and water! And/or it gives you evidence to matter-of-factly advocate from.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:58 pm

To me it all sounds very aspie-ish - and, like AardwarkGoodSwimmer says - your boy may benefit from a dx, so future teachers can understand and not condemn, if he has problems.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 12:49 am

This article might strongly resonate with you.

What is it like to be a girl with autism?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman