Page 6 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 9:15 am

Hi JBW,

I agree that no one should be subjected to violence based on their differences or their nonviolent behavior that doesn’t harm others. I would love to see the tolerance of “divergent thinking or a preoccupation with special interests” increase.

The monetary structure you describe sounds like it would attract only those who have intrinsic motivation and who value the progress of the team as a whole. Ironically, they would have to be somewhat socially oriented to appreciate the team at all, no? Otherwise, they would have to believe in the team’s purpose and be less likely to care about individual achievement for its own sake. That alone may help limit the sorts of negative conflicts you have to manage. The fact that your system highly values ideas likely helps people express their individuality in other ways as well.

As an intrinsically motivated person myself, money does not motivate me generally. I feel happiest when I can express my ideas, understand those of others, and move toward positive change. In the ideal version of the Waigaya concept you described, I think that people like me would come to feel understood and accepted, as long as their ideas were valued.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 1:36 pm

jbw wrote:
dianthus wrote:
jbw wrote:
The incorrect and implicit assumption is that the bigger or biggest picture is always the social [hierarchy] context.

So true...so true...and assuming that the people at the top of the hierarchy have the broadest perspective.

yes, ... and typically this conviction is linked to the anthropocentric assumption that humans somehow represent the pinnacle of evolution.

Humans have a really had time grasping concepts such as distributed intelligence and non-hierarchical forms of organisation and communication, as for example used by plants and fungi. You might enjoy reading http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/ ... gent-plant. Here is a good introductory book on the topic http://www.islandpress.org/book/brilliant-green.

This is very interesting! I will look into this.
As I despise the NT forms of hierarchical socialization in groups I would delight in finding other ways to deal with people ^^ :wink:

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 1:46 pm

nurseangela wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
That doesn't tell me why they can't do someone else's interest with them and what happens? Do they just get bored, or do they have a meltdown? Aspies learn new things all the time. How do they know they won't enjoy another person's interest? Do they just dismiss even trying because it's not in their interests?

I think part of it is that, when we share information about our interests, we aren't doing it to connect with other people; we're doing it because we like talking about our interests. For NT's, you share your interests as a way to try and make friends; the interest is secondary to the friend-making, so you give and take to show the other person you like them and want to be friendly. For aspies, social interaction is secondary to the interest; most of us don't actually care if you're in the room, or paying attention to our monologue or not. Because of this, we tend to think that NT interests work the same way; that you're talking about it because you like it, not because you want us to share your enthusiasm.

But we do like our interests. I much prefer knitting alone while watching TV, but it's ok too with others because then we can small talk. Like my new friend that I'm trying to get to know better - he loves fishing. I've always wanted to go fishing, but it's not in my hobbies. I would go fishing with him because I know he enjoys it, but with me my knitting is first. I would go fishing with him because he enjoys it AND because I would like to be in his company - small talking. :mrgreen: I'd really like him, though, to also do something I'd like to do too - not knitting, of course, but maybe watch a movie with me that I like or go to some antique stores. It's give and take.

If I may jump in here- honestly, I feel like in comparison to doing something actually enjoyable (the interest) the idea of doing this unpalatable boring thing is ... just not worth it- a waste of time.
I remember I would indulge NTs in their boring "hanging out" & "not my special-interest" type conversations, and I found it quite a waste of time. It made me sad to continually do those other things- I also couldn't be bothered.
Also, hanging out with the other person was never worthwhile enough to me. I would do this often, and the NT gets lots out of it- but I just feel used and worse off in the meantime, and then what does the NT want next time? More of the same shit- it simply NEVER feels like the give and take that you mention, it's always switching to random stuff the NT likes and occassionally stuff I like- which the NT snottishly insists of using to show how tolerant and "a good person" they are that they are willing to suffer through the "weird stuff" that I talk about.
That's just my experience.
However, because of this I can simply NOT be bothered to do anything at. all. that isn't directly related to my interests because hey- one day I'll be dead and won't be able to learn about it anymore. :wink:

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 1:51 pm

jbw wrote:
Hi DataB4

DataB4 wrote:
You wrote: “Autistics probably value individual self-determination higher than the self-determination of groups” although I think that is so dependent on culture and context. It’s a balancing act anyway, and as a result, no one is truly free.

As for the nonhierarchical organizations, I definitely like the concept of always asking for advice from at least one other person, as well as valuing diverse opinions. The best leaders do this. That said, anyone doing well in a truly nonhierarchical structure must be either brilliant at conflict resolution or frequently yielding, no? Otherwise, they would likely be ostracized.

Yes, individual self-determination and self-determination of groups is a balancing act. Personally my rule of thumb is that avoidance of violence is the key to any kind of progress. No one should be deprived of basic human needs or subjected to physical, emotional, or economic violence based on their beliefs or [non-violent] behaviour.

From experience I would say that mainstream society has too little tolerance and appreciation for divergent thinking or a preoccupation with special interests. Mainstream society expects everyone to "function" within a very narrow bandwidth of "acceptable" behaviour. But over the longer term I am optimistic. People are capable of learning, as can be seen in the progress that has been made [over the course of several decades ...] in relation to other minorities, such as the LGBT communities [ ... and there is further progress to be made].

Non-hierarchical structures based on an advice process create a different kind of group dynamic. Mutual trust in each other is an important prerequisite. I can only speak with authority about the small geographically distributed team that I am part of. We started out by adding one person at a time. The first three people have known each other for many years, and have worked with each other in the past. Now every newcomer goes through a multi-year induction process. The level of mutual trust is validated and grows incrementally. All processes are transparent within the organisation, there is an expectation on everyone to share knowledge freely, and we rely on an advice process rather than bossing people around. Monetary compensation levels are determined democratically, within a narrow band, and there are no special rewards for individual performance – all incentives focus on team performance. The organisation has been designed to be uninteresting for anyone trying to climb a social "ladder". The services provided evolve with the special interests of those who are part of the team.

Conflict can be a positive force in a suitably supportive environment. In our team we have adopted two techniques that have worked well for other organisations:

Waigaya
An embodiment of Soichiro Honda’s cultural style — which is best exemplified by his insistence that Honda employees favor unorthodoxy over imitation — waigaya comes in many forms. At the heart of waigaya is a single concept: paradoxes and disagreements are the essence of continuous improvement. Most companies are afraid of such dualities, but opposing concepts routinely alter the business equation: centralisation versus decentralisation, worker empowerment versus productivity, multinational control versus indigenous autonomy, disruptive innovation versus cannibalisation of existing product lines, and on and on. There are four basic rules for waigaya:
- Everybody is equal in waigaya;
- All ideas must be disputed until they are either proven valid or rejected;
- When a person shares an idea, he or she doesn't own it anymore — it belongs to the group and the group can do with it what it will;
- At the end of waigaya, decisions and responsibilities are generated — a precise list of who is to do what, and by when.

Optimal Conflict
Is a state of mind that improves learning in the context of waigaya. Optimal conflict is defined as:
The persistent experience of some frustration, dilemma, life puzzle, quandary, or personal problem that is perfectly designed to cause us to feel the limits of our current ways of knowing in some sphere of our living that we care about, with sufficient supports so that we are neither overwhelmed by the conflict nor able to escape or diffuse it.
It generates new insights, tangible value, and great products when practiced in a supportive and trusting high performance team environment.

What is that information from? It reminds me a LOT about something I read about japanese society a long while back- Soichiru sounds like a japanese name, but the word Waigaya isn't a japanese word... that I know of or can understand. Is that a korean thing?

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 2:46 pm

dianthus wrote:
Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
After seeing someone get a bit hurt about me not remembering their last name (I knew other stuff about them! I'm just horrible with foreign last names!!) and then someone else being offended that I couldn't remember what flowers they were planting based on our last convo they got slightly sad/offended/surprised. It was then I realized that NT talk ISN'T just for like "hearing themselves talk about nothing". I really thought that NTs just talked about nothing; and also nothing more than information was being exchanged/nothing OTHER THAN information was taken from a convo... and that they just liked to "talk mindlessly".
I was blown away to find out they:
1.) Expect you to remember s**t
2.) Had other meanings/motives for such small talk
3.) Were secretly exchanging other meanings by performing said "small talk" (I say performing because it's like a dance really)
4.) Wanted something other than pure information.

Yep....viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87241

It's mind boggling. I've heard conversations between other people that to me sounded like pure gibberish, but it seemed to mean something to them. I've also said things to people that were very meaningful to me and seemed like they just glossed over it and responded with something very superficial.

And yeah #1 is what throws me the most. I can't remember all those details people say about things that are going on in their life, or the story they told me about what happened years ago or whatever else it is they think is supposed to be a sign of how much I care. I literally can NOT do it even if I try. I can barely remember what I myself did yesterday. And sometimes sadly I just do not recognize people or remember their names.

I'm good with small talk when it is all about the here-and-now, or just prattling on about something that interests me, or else I can nod my head and murmur politely while someone else talks. But I can't pick the thread back up later if much time had passed the next time we talk, it's like starting all over again.

The thing that I find amazing is that.... like- how the f**k could such an inefficient system of communication evolve?! I find this way of relating to people to be completely ridiculous and strange- but slowly I'm coming to grips with it haha. That link you posted is REALLY insightful- it's so hard to keep track of what NTs are really saying in conversation... :roll: But I try hard! :D :mrgreen:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 2:55 pm

nurseangela wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
That doesn't tell me why they can't do someone else's interest with them and what happens? Do they just get bored, or do they have a meltdown? Aspies learn new things all the time. How do they know they won't enjoy another person's interest? Do they just dismiss even trying because it's not in their interests?

I think part of it is that, when we share information about our interests, we aren't doing it to connect with other people; we're doing it because we like talking about our interests. For NT's, you share your interests as a way to try and make friends; the interest is secondary to the friend-making, so you give and take to show the other person you like them and want to be friendly. For aspies, social interaction is secondary to the interest; most of us don't actually care if you're in the room, or paying attention to our monologue or not. Because of this, we tend to think that NT interests work the same way; that you're talking about it because you like it, not because you want us to share your enthusiasm.

But we do like our interests. I much prefer knitting alone while watching TV, but it's ok too with others because then we can small talk. Like my new friend that I'm trying to get to know better - he loves fishing. I've always wanted to go fishing, but it's not in my hobbies. I would go fishing with him because I know he enjoys it, but with me my knitting is first. I would go fishing with him because he enjoys it AND because I would like to be in his company - small talking. :mrgreen: I'd really like him, though, to also do something I'd like to do too - not knitting, of course, but maybe watch a movie with me that I like or go to some antique stores. It's give and take.

If I may jump in here- honestly, I feel like in comparison to doing something actually enjoyable (the interest) the idea of doing this unpalatable boring thing is ... just not worth it- a waste of time.
I remember I would indulge NTs in their boring "hanging out" & "not my special-interest" type conversations, and I found it quite a waste of time. It made me sad to continually do those other things- I also couldn't be bothered.
Also, hanging out with the other person was never worthwhile enough to me. I would do this often, and the NT gets lots out of it- but I just feel used and worse off in the meantime, and then what does the NT want next time? More of the same shit- it simply NEVER feels like the give and take that you mention, it's always switching to random stuff the NT likes and occassionally stuff I like- which the NT snottishly insists of using to show how tolerant and "a good person" they are that they are willing to suffer through the "weird stuff" that I talk about.
However, because of this I can simply NOT be bothered to do anything at. all. that isn't directly related to my interests because hey- one day I'll be dead and won't be able to learn about it anymore. :wink:

"Also, hanging out with the other person was never worthwhile enough to me. I would do this often, and the NT gets lots out of it- but I just feel used and worse off in the meantime, and then what does the NT want next time? More of the same shit- it simply NEVER feels like the give and take that you mention, it's always switching to random stuff the NT likes and occassionally stuff I like- which the NT snottishly insists of using to show how tolerant and "a good person" they are that they are willing to suffer through the "weird stuff" that I talk about."

Pardon me, I don't know how to say this so I'm just going to say it. The words you used here tell me that anything an NT does would not make you happy. It also sounds like if you were to do something that an NT wants to do, you are going to make sure that the NT knows you are not enjoying it - words used like "hanging out was never worthwhile enough to me", "I just feel used and worse off", "NT wants more of the same s**t", "the NT snottishly insists of using to show how tolerant and a good person they are". My advice - stay away from NT's for friends, because it sounds like you don't want them for friends in the first place.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 3:19 pm

nurseangela wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

"Also, hanging out with the other person was never worthwhile enough to me. I would do this often, and the NT gets lots out of it- but I just feel used and worse off in the meantime, and then what does the NT want next time? More of the same shit- it simply NEVER feels like the give and take that you mention, it's always switching to random stuff the NT likes and occassionally stuff I like- which the NT snottishly insists of using to show how tolerant and "a good person" they are that they are willing to suffer through the "weird stuff" that I talk about."

Pardon me, I don't know how to say this so I'm just going to say it. The words you used here tell me that anything an NT does would not make you happy. It also sounds like if you were to do something that an NT wants to do, you are going to make sure that the NT knows you are not enjoying it - words used like "hanging out was never worthwhile enough to me", "I just feel used and worse off", "NT wants more of the same s**t", "the NT snottishly insists of using to show how tolerant and a good person they are". My advice - stay away from NT's for friends, because it sounds like you don't want them for friends in the first place.

No offense taken (if that's what you meant? It's always harder to read into text) and yeah- I generally do. And you're correct. I'm actually quite the misanthrope. :D However, I'm sure that somethings are okay- it's just the VAST majority of NT social things annoy me.

I like people from afar (but that has very little to do with my autism and more to do with my own personality). And if it is worth anything- I would never actually say any of those things IRL because I know they are rude- I just think them to myself. I know it doesn't come across here, but I'm much more .... accommodating IRL because I have to be.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2016, 10:26 pm

jbw wrote:
Waigaya
[i]An embodiment of Soichiro Honda’s cultural style — which is best exemplified by his insistence that Honda employees favor unorthodoxy over imitation — waigaya comes in many forms. At the heart of waigaya is a single concept: paradoxes and disagreements are the essence of continuous improvement. Most companies are afraid of such dualities, but opposing concepts routinely alter the business equation: centralisation versus decentralisation, worker empowerment versus productivity, multinational control versus indigenous autonomy, disruptive innovation versus cannibalisation of existing product lines, and on and on. There are four basic rules for waigaya:
- When a person shares an idea, he or she doesn't own it anymore — it belongs to the group and the group can do with it what it will;
- At the end of waigaya, decisions and responsibilities are generated — a precise list of who is to do what, and by when.[/i

What is that information from? It reminds me a LOT about something I read about japanese society a long while back- Soichiru sounds like a japanese name, but the word Waigaya isn't a japanese word... that I know of or can understand. Is that a korean thing?

Soichiru Honda was the founder of Honda. Waigaya is japanese, and at Honda is used to describe the essence of their approach to innovation, see http://www.strategy-business.com/articl ... ?gko=48bd9 and http://world.honda.com/design/process/.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 11:23 pm

jbw wrote:
jbw wrote:
Waigaya
[i]An embodiment of Soichiro Honda’s cultural style — which is best exemplified by his insistence that Honda employees favor unorthodoxy over imitation — waigaya comes in many forms. At the heart of waigaya is a single concept: paradoxes and disagreements are the essence of continuous improvement. Most companies are afraid of such dualities, but opposing concepts routinely alter the business equation: centralisation versus decentralisation, worker empowerment versus productivity, multinational control versus indigenous autonomy, disruptive innovation versus cannibalisation of existing product lines, and on and on. There are four basic rules for waigaya:
- At the end of waigaya, decisions and responsibilities are generated — a precise list of who is to do what, and by when.[/i

Soichiru Honda was the founder of Honda. Waigaya is japanese, and at Honda is used to describe the essence of their approach to innovation, see http://www.strategy-business.com/articl ... ?gko=48bd9 and http://world.honda.com/design/process/.

Okay! thank you for that- it was driving me crazy haha, because it isn't a japanese word- it just doesn't sound japanese and then I read the sentence from the second article:
"They are called waigaya, which isn’t a word in Japanese or any other language, but rather a name given them by Takeo Fujisawa, the business partner of company founder Soichiro Honda (at least according to company lore). He chose the word because to him the three syllables sounded like babble, the jabber of many people talking at the same time—Wai-ga-ya, wai-ga-ya, wai-ga-ya; in English, it could be hubbub. It is the noise of heated discussion and the free flow of ideas; it represents a battleground of facts and opinions—of chaotic communication, open disagreement, and inharmonious decision making."
So, it's not a real japanese word, but something in limited circulation that someone person made up :mrgreen:
It's very interesting! I'm not sure you should call it japanese just because that can be a bit misleading- it's a made up word like a doctor suess word.