Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2016, 11:16 pm

Looking for advice from anyone who has dealt with Social Security Disability or knows a lot about the subject. I have a hearing soon and each day I am faced with more and more anxiety over it. Basically, if you have any knowledge on this subject I'd like to have your thoughts on my situation. Greentext of information as follows;

Worked semi well with severe anxiety most of my adult life.
Over the last 5 years I was diagnosed with Autism, Severe General Anxiety Disorder, Social Phobia, and OCD which have become increasingly worse.
Over the last two years I became unable to work, applied for SS, got rejected twice, and now have a court hearing, and a lawyer picked up my case.
I have 2 years of psychological, psychiatric, and normal Primary Care treatment and paperwork.
I'm on about 5 different anxiety type meds and have never gone off them as directed.
Meds don't work as notated in my medical file.
PCP doctor filled out the work competency paperwork and supported my inability to work. Also wrote a letter to the judge about my inability to work.
I am on state disability healthcare and am provided rides to doctor visits as I'm unable to drive anymore due to anxiety.
I hardly ever leave the house as documented medically.
I have a character witness which is showing up to my hearing to speak on my behalf about my disability.

Do I stand a chance guys? I have no idea how difficult it is to get disability and this really is my last resort. I'd give anything to be able to work again as these problems killed my career. So what do you think on the situation I'm in?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 11:55 pm

You could stand a chance if you can find something that you're passionate about and turn it into a job.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 1:43 am

CivilSam wrote:
Looking for advice from anyone who has dealt with Social Security Disability or knows a lot about the subject. I have a hearing soon and each day I am faced with more and more anxiety over it. Basically, if you have any knowledge on this subject I'd like to have your thoughts on my situation. Greentext of information as follows;

Worked semi well with severe anxiety most of my adult life.

Over the last 5 years I was diagnosed with Autism, Severe General Anxiety Disorder, Social Phobia, and OCD which have become increasingly worse.

Over the last two years I became unable to work, applied for SS, got rejected twice, and now have a court hearing, and a lawyer picked up my case.

I have 2 years of psychological, psychiatric, and normal Primary Care treatment and paperwork.
I'm on about 5 different anxiety type meds and have never gone off them as directed.

Meds don't work as notated in my medical file.

PCP doctor filled out the work competency paperwork and supported my inability to work. Also wrote a letter to the judge about my inability to work.

I am on state disability healthcare and am provided rides to doctor visits as I'm unable to drive anymore due to anxiety.
I hardly ever leave the house as documented medically.

I have a character witness which is showing up to my hearing to speak on my behalf about my disability.

Do I stand a chance guys? I have no idea how difficult it is to get disability and this really is my last resort. I'd give anything to be able to work again as these problems killed my career. So what do you think on the situation I'm in?

Normally, this would have been enough to qualify you, but there is an upcoming economic-implosion approaching, and it is suspected by many (including a number of financial-experts) that the government simply no longer has any money left to be able to support these kinds of programs.

From the documents you have listed, how-ever, that looks sufficient to qualify you for SSI/SSA/SSDI or some combination thereof. The main things they will look at are the combinations of your total available resources and ability to work (you cannot work if it is illegal for you to even attempt to transport yourself due to not having a driver's license amongst other reasons you could add). I worry that you have been over-medicated though (I distrust the psychiatric-industry, particularly the drugs that they push, for multiple reasons backed by years of doing my own research & analysis... I think you would have greater success with hypno-therapists than psychiatrists to treat mental-problems).

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2016, 1:45 am

I completely agree with you about feeling over medicated. Thanks for the input, I feel a little less stressed now.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 1:52 am

I have some life experience in this area as I worked part time for three years but struggled to work full time and I applied for social security, got denied and eventually won social security. To set your mind at ease, my lawyer and basically everyone I talked too said they always deny you the first two times and they always take you to court. Regardless of if your disabled or not, now granted they do give some people disability right off the bat but if your under 60 and your applying for disability expect hell to get it. That is the good news, the bad news, you probably have another six months to a year after your first hearing before you actually get social security. Also in complicated cases, you may have multiple court dates such as myself. If you don't have a lawyer, I highly recommend getting one at this point, they get a fair cut from your back pay but they are well worth it. I got my lawyer right after I was denied twice.

More good news is your documentation looks solid so your probably golden however if I was you I would recommend making a note with my health care providers that you can take care of your finances. The reason for this is when you get disability for any mental reason rather it be autism, anxiety, bipolar, anything then a lot of times a judge will order a payee to handle your finances. That is not horrible by itself because you can survive with that but here is why you don't want that. A state payee gets a cut from both your back pay and your monthly check. It is literally a way to steal your money and if you have documentation up front that you can handle money then you more then likely won't get a payee. I was ordered a payee but showed the judge out of court a letter stating that I could handle money and she changed her decision.

Also there are actually three outcomes to this court, you can be denied or found fully favorable or found partial favorable. Again this is another legal loop hole for them to steal cash from hard working Americans down on their luck. What these outcomes mean is fully favorable decision is where you get your monthly check and you get your backpay and partial favorable means you only get the monthly check. They basically steal over $20,000 from you if you have been waiting for disability for years. Also they can deny you on the grounds that you applied for the wrong type of disability so this is another good reason to get a lawyer. I had applied for SSI but with my work credits I actually qualified for SSDI and without my lawyer to do the paper work the case would have been thrown out.

Whatever you do, don't attempt to work full time right now, if you can survive another way do it because if you work full time your case will surely get thrown out. Also if you were ever fired for ANY reason, especially within the first 90 days of work, GIVE THAT DOCUMENTATION TO YOU LAWYER. I wish you luck and this is an area I have studied a lot and talked to more then one lawyer about so if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. This is complex legal stuff really so it can't be summed up in a single forum post. There are millions of little rules and I only know a few, I would worry less though, your case is better looking or on par with mine documentation wise so I think you'll be okay really.

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2016, 1:56 am

Thank you and yes I got a lawyer. I never knew about the person managing your money thing so I'll ask my lawyer about it tomorrow. Thanks once again!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 3:37 pm

CivilSam wrote:

We all stand a fighting chance so long as we're willing to fight. No idea, did my damndest to avoid disability/ss even though I was in a similar position a few years ago where I was unable to work for quite some time. I think it's a terribly stressful situation you're in and I don't envy you. It seems a distant past now when I was in that spot & never ever want to be there again.

I'd have done anything to get back to health & life and work, too. So, I did. I met an Herbalist and his father, a Naturopathic Doctor, learned a few things from them and did my own relentless research until I figured out how to treat my symptoms with natural medicines and probiotics. I've been the happiest and healthiest of my life these last 2 years or so and have been back to work and life and sports etc full time. Feel free to pm me and we can chat about it if you like.