Update on Autism Disclosure in the Workplace Study

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 10:52 am

Please excuse me for making a new thread instead of finding the old one.

For those of you who took part in or are interested in my Autism Disclosure in the Workplace study (click on my signature for information), I am nearing the end of my analysis. Some of you may be getting emails from me asking additional questions as I'm tying up loose ends.

Why is it taking so long?
I basically messed up by asking too many questions, so I got too much data and now my thesis is about three times longer than it was supposed to be. I also had to start over with my method of analysis because of the overwhelming amount of data.

How can people find out what I found?
I'll make a post here (and in Media Representation if the Mods don't mind me posting it twice, if they do mind it will just be here) directing people to my wordpress (in signature). People will be able to directly download my thesis from there. This is not typically done, but I am committed to transparency in research and ethical procedures, so that's why I'm doing it. There will also be a one-page abstract for those who don't want to read the whole thing.

Will anyone be able to identify people quoted?
I am the only one who has seen any actual names or other identifying information. If approved by my committee, quotes will be attributed to your participant number. All participants will be referred to using gender neutral pronouns, such as: "(s)he" and "her/is". Specific identifying information, such as a special interest or job title, has been redacted so it will look like this --> "when I am doing [my special interest] I feel..." or "when I worked as a [laborer] I was often..."

Will it be published?
I will have to cut it up into pieces and try to publish it bit by bit. For example, I will first try to write an article only including my findings about disclosure and probably also accommodations. I might just do one and then the other. I will probably then try to do something else about one of my other strong findings, such as coping strategies. This will be a long and painful process, as I haven't published before. If anyone has tips, I would love to hear them.

Where will you seek to publish?
I will probably target all the journals with "autism" in the title, as well as some others, such as occupational journals. Keep in mind that some of these journals also publish research that I don't believe in which might undermine the rights and comforts of autistic individuals. You have to pick your battles, and I'm just trying to get the actual words of autistic authorities out into academia. I don't think it matters so much which journal it is in. I'm just hoping someone picks it up.