Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,807

20 May 2016, 7:47 pm

Hey so the humble bundle has a sale going on right now and I am looking for a break from skyrim for around $5-$10 so I have a few games I am eyeballing and I was wondering which game you would pick out of this list on a budget. All these games are under $15 so price doesn't really matter but this is what I am looking at in that price range:

Mega Man Legacy Collection
Resident Evil HD Remaster
Ryse: Son of Rome
The Escapists
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

So if those were your choices, which would you get? I am liking the idea of the Resident Evil HD Remaster but some people reported bugs so I am not sure on that one. The Mega Man Legacy Collection seems over priced to me, I can't picture paying more then $5 for it to be honest. Ryse: Son of Rome is cheap but I am worried about frame rate even though I owned the system requirements, also people complained about QTE and I can't stand QTE. The Escapists has been on my wish list for what feels like years and looks interesting. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter I want to mess around with more then anything cause they used photo realistic graphics so I want to run it more then play it to be honest. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood seems solid cause I love Wolfenstein but it seems like a waste because I never won The New Order though I did play a good bit of it.

Thoughts?

* Edit - adding to post *

Also is King's Bounty comparable to Heroes of Might and Magic III? Because I know there was some connection between the Might and Magic series and Kings Bounty and Might and Magic in its early days was actually really good and I like Might and Magic before 3D0 went bankrupt. The reason I ask is Kings Bounty is only $5 bucks and I'd love to get a taste of Might and Magic before it sucked.



DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,527

20 May 2016, 8:15 pm

I'm a resident evil nerd (the games before 5 at least) so I'm biased, I play remake several times a year, the atmosphere is ungodly.


_________________
'He wondered, as he had many times wondered before, whether he himself was a lunatic... perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one?'


dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,807

20 May 2016, 8:26 pm

DancingCorpse wrote:
I'm a resident evil nerd (the games before 5 at least) so I'm biased, I play remake several times a year, the atmosphere is ungodly.


If you own the PC version, how many bugs have you encountered and are they game breaking? I think I would be happy with the Resident Evil HD Remaster myself if it actually works but when it was released, to hear steam users talk it was basically unplayable. Now it has a very positive community rating on steam currently so maybe that was just at launch?

Your thoughts?



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

20 May 2016, 10:09 pm

All I'm going to say is that if you've got a PC that isnt bloody ancient, all of the Megaman games can just be emulated very easily. Unless you despise emulators, I dont ever see a reason to buy that.


I've no advice on the others since I personally wouldnt spend even $1 on any of them.



dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,807

21 May 2016, 1:25 pm

Misery wrote:
All I'm going to say is that if you've got a PC that isnt bloody ancient, all of the Megaman games can just be emulated very easily. Unless you despise emulators, I dont ever see a reason to buy that.


I've no advice on the others since I personally wouldnt spend even $1 on any of them.


No I love emulators but I don't own and never owned any of the mega man games except X so that kinda makes the emulation route illegal. I try not pirate things when I am on an IP I pay for, I am kinda natural on the issue of piracy but I don't put myself at risk for a lawsuit. I'll take pirated disc and watch a pirated movie at someone's house but I don't actively break the law this way so mega man has a point in that regard. You point is valid though and is the reason I didn't want to pay more then $5 for it.



GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,139

21 May 2016, 1:39 pm

I can strongly recommend the King's Bounty games... they may seem like Heroes of Might & Magic clones (and they probably are), but they have excellent value for money and great replay value.

King's Bounty: Dark Side also has a lot of very funny moments since you're playing as a semi-villain... $ 5 is a bargain...

In fact, I'm going to re-install and play King's Bounty: Dark Side because of this thread... thanks!


_________________
Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance.

- Daniel Kahneman


Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

21 May 2016, 4:47 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Misery wrote:
All I'm going to say is that if you've got a PC that isnt bloody ancient, all of the Megaman games can just be emulated very easily. Unless you despise emulators, I dont ever see a reason to buy that.


I've no advice on the others since I personally wouldnt spend even $1 on any of them.


No I love emulators but I don't own and never owned any of the mega man games except X so that kinda makes the emulation route illegal. I try not pirate things when I am on an IP I pay for, I am kinda natural on the issue of piracy but I don't put myself at risk for a lawsuit. I'll take pirated disc and watch a pirated movie at someone's house but I don't actively break the law this way so mega man has a point in that regard. You point is valid though and is the reason I didn't want to pay more then $5 for it.


Aye, at the very least, it's not worth the money that Capcom is trying to get you to pay for it. The games are just too easy to come by no matter how you go after them.

It's like that time when Nintendo released that awful anniversary edition Mario game on the Wii, which was actually just Super Mario All-Stars (an SNES game) bundled up in pretty packaging and sold at a really silly price. People could just get the ACTUAL All-Stars cartridge easily for hardly anything at all. It's not hard to come by. That was years ago though, they havent tried anything like that since. But Capcom sure would!



xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,280
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

21 May 2016, 6:46 pm

Misery wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
Misery wrote:
All I'm going to say is that if you've got a PC that isnt bloody ancient, all of the Megaman games can just be emulated very easily. Unless you despise emulators, I dont ever see a reason to buy that.


I've no advice on the others since I personally wouldnt spend even $1 on any of them.


No I love emulators but I don't own and never owned any of the mega man games except X so that kinda makes the emulation route illegal. I try not pirate things when I am on an IP I pay for, I am kinda natural on the issue of piracy but I don't put myself at risk for a lawsuit. I'll take pirated disc and watch a pirated movie at someone's house but I don't actively break the law this way so mega man has a point in that regard. You point is valid though and is the reason I didn't want to pay more then $5 for it.


Aye, at the very least, it's not worth the money that Capcom is trying to get you to pay for it. The games are just too easy to come by no matter how you go after them.

It's like that time when Nintendo released that awful anniversary edition Mario game on the Wii, which was actually just Super Mario All-Stars (an SNES game) bundled up in pretty packaging and sold at a really silly price. People could just get the ACTUAL All-Stars cartridge easily for hardly anything at all. It's not hard to come by. That was years ago though, they havent tried anything like that since. But Capcom sure would!

Actually the Wii edition came with a sound disc and booklet as well.

The All-Stars cart has been a collectors item since the early 2000s.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... s&_sacat=0
Any decent condition or better will cost you $30 or more.

Hell I sold my All-Stars + SMW cart in 2001 to buy the Luigi's mansion game, so i could have something to play on my new Gamecube at launch.
Gamestop then gave me $25 for it.

The one with SMW added can go upwards $100.


_________________
Something.... Weird... Something...


Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

21 May 2016, 8:01 pm

Ah, yeah, I do remember that, it came with stuff.

I suppose what I didnt like was just that the simple repackaging of an ancient rom seemed.... lazy. Really lazy. And kinda like something that a more sleazy company would do, not a big respected one like Nintendo.

Though, this was a LONG time ago, now. They've changed alot since then; I really didnt like Nintendo one bit back then, but that too has changed now, the liking I had for them back as a kid returned. And they put out one hell of a product for this most recent anniversary, that's for sure. Mario Maker is bloody FANTASTIC. Well, to me, anyway.



SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,913
Location: Michigan

22 May 2016, 4:27 am

dcj123 wrote:
So if those were your choices, which would you get?


Personally? Maybe Mega Man or RE. I'd rather have MM on 3DS though, and RE on GameCube.

dcj123 wrote:
Because I know there was some connection between the Might and Magic series and Kings Bounty and Might and Magic in its early days was actually really good and I like Might and Magic before 3D0 went bankrupt. The reason I ask is Kings Bounty is only $5 bucks and I'd love to get a taste of Might and Magic before it sucked.


Yeah, I think they were made by the same company. I never really played the HoMM games though, because I'm not huge on RTS games.

You missed out, GoG had all of the M&M games on sale a few weeks ago. I grabbed the 1-6 pack, and also grabbed 7, 8, and 9.

Earthbound wrote:
Anymore crap from you Misery and I'll report you. Its getting old and disruptive at this point.


You do realize that most people on this forum are on the autistic spectrum, right? We all have different quirks that are difficult to control, especially in social situations. If you can't learn to accept people, then just ignore their posts.

Misery wrote:
I cannot change my personality, I cannot change my very nature. I'm a negative individual. I didnt ask to be that way, but again, it's just who I am. ... I post opinions frequently, they're often negative.


I'm the same way, but I can tell that it bothers people, it really gets on my friends' nerves sometimes. So over the past few years, I've been trying to drop a lot of the negativity, and I really feel a lot better. I still get that nagging feeling to give a full critique of what I don't like about said game (or whatever it is), but usually I just say "I don't really play that game" and the conversation continues. If they ask why, I'll tell them, but I'll keep it brief...leaves a good opportunity for them to add their own input, so it's not a one-sided conversation that ends awkwardly.

...but if they really want my full opinion, well, they'll probably regret it.

Misery wrote:
That was years ago though, they havent tried anything like that since.


Actually, not long after, there was a Kirby release that was essentially the same thing.
I don't mind Virtual Console style stuff, but there's a way bigger incentive to buy if there's bonus features added, like the Metal Slug games for Xbox/PS2 (3, 4 and 5 I think). Or if it's dirt cheap. Or maybe just because it's portable.

BTW, Super Mario All-Stars recently got re-released, under the Nintendo Selects line.
We need Lego City Undercover on that line, like the UK got =/


_________________
he had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say
we'll miss him


Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

22 May 2016, 4:39 am

Hmm, dont worry about the thing between me and Earthbound; I for one am simply going to not interact with him further, and contacted a mod to maybe help clear things up (I'm not looking to get him banned or yelled at or anything, I wouldnt do such a thing). And if he still doesnt like me, well, whatever. Ignore button! Cant please 'em all...

But I can appreciate what you say there with the rest of that stuff too. It's kinda the same with me, my general negativity bugs some people that I know, but it does kinda depend on who it is, and how much they know me. Friends of mine dont usually mind it too much (and if someone's got to play devil's advocate, they sorta figure it may as well be me doing it in that group) and if I'm feeling REALLY unpleasant, I typically just keep to myself, often just staying in my room, because bah, really. My sarcasm at least doesnt seem to bother anyone around here. My father finds it amusing :roll: and the others seem to half the time as well. It's my anger that's usually the issue. Even online I keep to myself most of the time when THAT is happening. I have gaming as an outlet for that at least. Fortunately I've not had any anger issues on the forum here; it's a nice place and the people here are friendly, so no problems there.

If you've had some similar issues as you say, and have managed to get some degree of control over it... that's quite the feat, really. I've always had zero control over it. Seems to be the same for most others I've met that are similar.

On a side note, uh... did you mean to quote that bit here? That was in a different topic, that whole thing... kinda confused me for a moment.



SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,913
Location: Michigan

22 May 2016, 6:47 am

Oh, whoops.
I got a little sidetracked when I was reading the forum...started replying to this thread, and then I guess I came back and tried replying to that other thread, but pasted it all into here without checking.


_________________
he had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say
we'll miss him


dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,807

22 May 2016, 8:13 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Oh, whoops.
I got a little sidetracked when I was reading the forum...started replying to this thread, and then I guess I came back and tried replying to that other thread, but pasted it all into here without checking.


I was wondering where the hell that came from but guys I got King's Bounty, all of them for like $10. I really don't know that its a popular choice but Might and Magic is one of my favs so I think I'll be okay. Also for Might and Magic being on sale, I have the disc versions of all the ones I care about, I don't like the direction Ubisoft took it. In fact I really hate Ubisoft for the most part. They had a moment of clarity with Farcry 3 but that is it.

At the very least I think I'll get my monies worth but I haven't played it yet cause I am making good progress in Skyrim right now.

Thanks for everyone's help,



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

22 May 2016, 5:42 pm

dcj123 wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
Oh, whoops.
I got a little sidetracked when I was reading the forum...started replying to this thread, and then I guess I came back and tried replying to that other thread, but pasted it all into here without checking.


I was wondering where the hell that came from but guys I got King's Bounty, all of them for like $10. I really don't know that its a popular choice but Might and Magic is one of my favs so I think I'll be okay. Also for Might and Magic being on sale, I have the disc versions of all the ones I care about, I don't like the direction Ubisoft took it. In fact I really hate Ubisoft for the most part. They had a moment of clarity with Farcry 3 but that is it.

At the very least I think I'll get my monies worth but I haven't played it yet cause I am making good progress in Skyrim right now.

Thanks for everyone's help,



You're not alone: EVERYONE hates Ubisoft these days. Myself included.

They're one of those companies where I look at them and go "How did they sink that low?"

And of course it's even worse for PC users VS console users now.... you know, UPlay and all. At least console players, with their games, dont have to tolerate that crap.

I have to wonder what would happen to them if Assassin's Creed wasnt there? Sometimes that seems like it's THE thing propping them up, but I'm probably missing a few things so that might not be the case.



xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,280
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

22 May 2016, 6:09 pm

@Misery we have no ignore button on this site.

As for the topic matter save your money for June 23rd, that's when the Steam summer sale begins.
It runs for two weeks.


_________________
Something.... Weird... Something...