Favorite and Least Favorite Movies of Your Birthyear

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 5:54 pm

Here are my Top 10 films from my birth year of 1982:

10. Class of 1984--Probably my favorite dystopian high school film although Class of 1999 is awesome too.
9. The Secret of Nimh--Arguably Don Bluth's best animated film to date.
8. Pink Floyd: The Wall--One of the greatest music video movies of all-time!
7. Fast Times at Ridgemont High--To quote Spicoli, "Awesome, Totally Awesome!"
6. The Last American Virgin--Probably one of the most underrated teenage sex comedies of all-time.
5. First Blood--The first and best Rambo movie of all-time although I love Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo as well.
4. 48 Hrs.--Eddie Murphy had the best on-screen film debut of all-time in the film that started the buddy cop genre. Nick Nolte is great in it too.
3. The Thing--One of Kurt Russell and John Carpenter's best movies ever and the special effects and story still hold up today.
2. Creepshow--By far the best horror anthology film of all-time. Stephen King and George Romero go together like peanut butter and jelly.
1. Poltergeist--THE Best Speilberg film of 1982 and one of the greatest horror films of all-time. Oh and Tobe Hooper directed this movie too.

Honorable Mentions: Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Rocky III, Conan the Barbarian, Gandhi, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Richard Pryor: Live at the Sunset Strip, and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

Here are my WORST 5 of that year:

5. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial--I'm going to get a lot of negative comments over this, but this movie is BOOORRRINNNNGGGGG!! !! One of (if not) the most overrated and overphrased movies of all-time.
4. The Toy--Why Richard Pryor? WHYYY????! !! !! !!
3. Annie--I'm sorry but the main character gets on my nerves!
2. Grease 2--The reason why the original worked is because of the great songs and chemistry between two leads. This one doesn't have any of those!
1. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas--The Worst Big Borefest of 1982!

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 9:51 pm

My favorite film from the year I was born is among my favorites of all time: What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:37 pm

Favorite and least favorite films of 1979:

Fave: The Jerk

Least fave: More American Graffiti.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 10 Jul 2016, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:39 pm

JML101582 wrote:
Here are my Top 10 films from my birth year of 1982:

10. Class of 1984--Probably my favorite dystopian high school film although Class of 1999 is awesome too.
9. The Secret of Nimh--Arguably Don Bluth's best animated film to date.
8. Pink Floyd: The Wall--One of the greatest music video movies of all-time!
7. Fast Times at Ridgemont High--To quote Spicoli, "Awesome, Totally Awesome!"
6. The Last American Virgin--Probably one of the most underrated teenage sex comedies of all-time.
5. First Blood--The first and best Rambo movie of all-time although I love Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo as well.
4. 48 Hrs.--Eddie Murphy had the best on-screen film debut of all-time in the film that started the buddy cop genre. Nick Nolte is great in it too.
3. The Thing--One of Kurt Russell and John Carpenter's best movies ever and the special effects and story still hold up today.
2. Creepshow--By far the best horror anthology film of all-time. Stephen King and George Romero go together like peanut butter and jelly.
1. Poltergeist--THE Best Speilberg film of 1982 and one of the greatest horror films of all-time. Oh and Tobe Hooper directed this movie too.

Honorable Mentions: Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Rocky III, Conan the Barbarian, Gandhi, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Richard Pryor: Live at the Sunset Strip, and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

Here are my WORST 5 of that year:

5. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial--I'm going to get a lot of negative comments over this, but this movie is BOOORRRINNNNGGGGG!! ! ! One of (if not) the most overrated and overphrased movies of all-time.
4. The Toy--Why Richard Pryor? WHYYY????! ! ! ! ! ! !
3. Annie--I'm sorry but the main character gets on my nerves!
2. Grease 2--The reason why the original worked is because of the great songs and chemistry between two leads. This one doesn't have any of those!
1. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas--The Worst Big Borefest of 1982!

The Last American Virgin was better than Porky's? (which also came out in '82)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2016, 10:18 pm

While many of my favorite movies are from the 80's, I don't think my birth year of '83 was particularly strong for movies. My favorite? Either The Outsiders or A Christmas Story. Honorable mentions: Return of the Jedi (not much of a Star Wars fan though), Scarface, Flashdance, Terms of Endearment, Vacation, Trading Places. And I'll add Sleepaway Camp for a guilty pleasure.

Least favorite? I think Risky Business is terribly overrated. The Right Stuff put me to sleep. I would say The Big Chill was forgettable (because while I did see it, I can't remember much about it), but I think that movie was intended for Baby Boomers and clearly not for anyone born in the 80's (or even 70's) lol. While I'm a fan of the TV series, Twilight Zone: The Movie was a disappointment.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 4:34 pm

1983:

Sans soleil.
definitely the most likely candidate to go down in film history.
plus return of the jedi, although that's basically only important to round off the trilogy, which, as a whole, is history, but not really in its parts...

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 7:51 pm

Also 1983.

Favorites:

A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Vacation
Sleepaway Camp (it's crap, but fun to watch)
Videodrome

Dislikes:

Scarface
Return of the Jedi

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 3:06 am

I was born in 1993, and I honestly can't think of any notable films that came out that year aside from Jurassic Park and Schindler's List. JP was meh, Schindler's List was kind of interesting, but I'd need to watch it again. Now, if I were only born about a month and a half later, I'd have a lot more to say. 1994 was a great year for music and film, although it was sadly also the year of Kurt Cobain's death. :(

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 3:03 am

It turns out Demolition Man came out in 1993, and I rather enjoy that film, so I'd say it's my favorite film from that year. ;)