Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Novac96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2016, 6:03 pm

Has anyone on this site ever taken an AP course in high school? I am sure that many people will know what they are: they are subjects whose curricula are established by the College Board, and are essentially college-level courses taught in a high school environment; if one obtains a score of a 3 or a 4 on the AP test at the end of the current school year, the student can earn college credits.

I am curious solely because I am taking AP English Literature and Composition next year (I know, I'm straying very far from the stereotype of the math or science-wiz Aspie, aren't I?), and I am mixed with apprehension and excitement at the prospect of it.

TechnicalAmateur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2016, 8:50 pm

I took advanced comp (the non-traditional high school version of AP) and while it was a college-level course, I still had an A+ average in the class.
Be ready for a lot of analytical reading, and be ready to think outside the box. Also, you'll have to seriously tighten the organization of any writing you do, and pay extra attention to grammar and flow and all that.

I love PMs but have no clue how to start a conversation.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 8:56 pm

I took AP English Lang, English Lit, Stats, and Calculus (though I didn't do the exam in that last one.)

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 8:58 pm

I took several AP courses. They are excellent if you're looking to apply for college scholarships. Interestingly, I found them to be harder than my college courses because there was a lot more required reading. I found that in college, many professors, though not all, lectured to their tests, meaning I didn't have to read every page. You feel this out in the beginning.