CTE, and how might we de-emphasize high school football?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 1:20 pm

Texas high school football is huge, and even with significant health issues, not likely to be ended immediately.

Alright, the fact that football takes place in the Fall when the school year is just beginning and everything is new and fresh and people are trying to get involved. All of that is huge. And combine this with the fact that football takes place every Friday like clockwork, this is also a really big advantage.

So, maybe have two baseball seasons, one in the Fall and one in the Spring, and two basketball seasons (Hoops!), both Fall and Spring.

And limit football to a single season in the Spring?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 12:58 pm

This is 7 on 7 as it's played in Texas.

The quarterback has four seconds, receiver is down by one hand anywhere, and with each reception a single lateral pitch is allowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi-jTnjSjf8

=======

No where near taking the place of regular high school football. But maybe it should.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 May 2016, 1:32 pm

CTE is being overblown and not a huge issue for most high school football players. Teach proper tackling and have real med trainers on the sidelines should be enough.

Two baseball seasons would be bad too, kids would be throwing out their shoulders left and right

stop worrying about all the potential injuries and risks and get kids off their fat butts is my opinion

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 3:54 am

Leave football alone. The players know about the season and they can deal with it. Those boys have to train and play like that so they can play college ball. Unless you want to disrupt that sport too. And they play like that cause lots of them go on to pro ball which isn't changing. Neither is college ball to tell the truth.

I'd suggest if you want to change football in high school you do it some place like California or Seattle or one of those places. Texas Isnt changing anything for anybody lol. And I'm in the deep south and don't even care about football really but it's a way of life to these boys here and they wouldn't change for anything. They would be furious. It's not like it's required. They know what they are doing and it builds character it really does.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 10:18 am

I'd ask that we look at statistics of what percent of people on high school football teams receive college scholarships. I understand it's not that great.

And please understand, I like football a lot. The splash, the color, the strategy, the athleticism, the idea of being a teammate, all of it. I can remember way back when I was starting out as a freshman in high school in school year '77-'78 and because I was in JROTC, I got to usher at home football games. And I got a lot out of this.

But the sport's just too injurious. I mean, I'm not making this stuff up about CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy). It's a real issue.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 1:13 pm

Here's a newspaper report from March that the sheer number of hits is more important than concussions in predicting whether or not someone is likely to have problems down the road. This combined with a bunch of other evidence, including autopsies which find bits of tau protein gumming up the works in nerve cells . . .

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/03/31/s ... ficulties/

Yes, in poker terms, I think it's time to start "moving away from the hand."