A Theory of Mind? Or A Theory of War....

Page 14 of 15 [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 5:51 pm

B19 wrote:
Well I haven't grabbed anyone's glasses yet, nor attended a dinner party naked, nor do I lack a faculty for embarrassment, and no amount of funding or any other incentive could inspire me to formulate a theory that all NTs lack a proposed theory of mind because some do very inappropriate things.

So you're saying that autistic people don't behave any differently from non-autistic people and anyone's declaration that they do means their theory is in some way flawed?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 5:58 pm

:roll:

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 5:59 pm

Chichikov wrote:
B19 wrote:
Well I haven't grabbed anyone's glasses yet, nor attended a dinner party naked, nor do I lack a faculty for embarrassment, and no amount of funding or any other incentive could inspire me to formulate a theory that all NTs lack a proposed theory of mind because some do very inappropriate things.

So you're saying that autistic people don't behave any differently from non-autistic people and anyone's declaration that they do means their theory is in some way flawed?

That's not what B19 is saying at all. The point is that these behaviours that SBC attributed to autism are not universal to everyone on the spectrum, and also that the behaviour that he observed he misattributed to lack of theory of mind when there could have been many explanations for the behaviour of those children that had nothing to do with theory of mind and everything to do with sensory issues or something else about autistic perception that SBC cannot understand from his own (apparently biased) NT perspective on autistic behaviour. He cannot imagine our mindset and how it may differ from his own, so he projects his own misunderstanding onto us and says we must behave the way we do because we don't understand that other people can have different mindsets and perspectives from our own, and misattributes our behaviour because of that misunderstanding and incorrect assumption of his own. The irony of it is staggering.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Hi AsPartOfMe,

Great post and blog reference. Between you, the blog post, and SocOfAutism, I now see empathy in a new way, so thanks for sharing.

IMHO, this whole thing is about language, rather than empathizing or not empathizing with SBC. Not sure if that's what you were trying to say with your 'lack of empathy in practice?'

Thank you. Glad my post and links were educational for you.

With "lack of empathy in practice" what I trying to say is that when people read a statement "autistics lack empathy" if they assume the person saying that is saying that all autistics have no empathy and that makes autistics wrong or not fully human when what the person is saying is that impaired or delayed empathy is common enough in autistics to make it a diagnosable criteria and not neccasarly saying that makes the person lacking empathy flawed in a fundamental way. If a person interprets people saying Autistics lack empathy in very negative ways referred to above in this instance they might lack cognitive empathy.

Another possible example of lack of cognative empathy is the part of the blog I quoted where the blogger says she has felt when reading autistics have average or too much empathy that because she lacks empathy she is a "defective autistic". I said I related to a lot of her blog and I quoted that part because I related to that part of her blog the most. A major part my realizition I am on he spectrum was coming to an understanding that in certain areas I do lack empathy and that this has affected key turning points in my life. To be constantly told in effect the reason I linked Autism and empathy/TOM is because I am a victim of an ableist fraudster does feel invalidating to me

But I might be completly wrong about the motives behind most of the posters in these threads because I am lacking in cognitive empathy. But apprarently it is unreleted to my autism, just a charactor flaw.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 02 Jul 2016, 6:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

I think B19 made a most valid, illustrative point here.

Baron-Cohen has presented us with absurd anecdotes which do not reflect the reality of the autistic experience at all.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:09 pm

Eloa wrote:

I have also failed sally and anne test in november 2010.
In my view it was because of the visual thinking mind of mine, because the words evoke pictures in my mind and they just stay in my mind and if the marble is told to be in the box, this image just stayed in my visual mind.
No language problem as well.
Because in the language I operate in "where will [..] look for the marble" is a clear sentence.

That IS a language problem. It's a language problem precisely because you didn't use language to solve it like expected. It's not just about the final sentence, but the process of arriving at the conclusion, and then actually voicing the conclusion. Regardless of whether you agree it's a language issue, it's still not because you lack theory of mind.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:12 pm

Other researchers have questioned exactly what SBC was actually measuring, because in all his experiments, some of the AS children pass the test, which calls into question the dogmatic claims for TOM as the defining characteristic of AS, and the perhaps more important question of what exactly SBC was measuring. This group of scientists has focused on the way that different basic levels of verbal skills and their applied functionality are the variables that bias SBC's methodology and the conclusion he chose to draw from it.

As far as I know, SBC has not yet addressed this.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:14 pm

Regarding whether or not autistic people lack empathy, empathy is a complex process, and can't really be quantified in such a way that it can be said that autistic people universally have a deficit in it. That being said, empathy is typically DISORDERED in autism, but autism itself is not fundementally an EMPATHY DISORDER.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:15 pm

I'm going to repost this link:

https://ballastexistenz.wordpress.com/2 ... yre-doing/

B19 posted it earlier but I wonder if you actually read it, Chichikov. I think if you actually read that link (which very clearly explains all the potential problems/circular reasoning in one of the tests SBC uses) you might have a better grasp of where we are coming from and why we are skeptical of SBC and his ability to produce legitimate and useful research about autism. Can you at least read it and point out what it is you disagree with and what it is about that test that you think is NOT a problem and why we should accept it (and SBC's subsequent claims about the autistic mind)? Because so far you have not done a very good job of laying out point-for-point why you believe SBC's tests are NOT based on circular reasoning and misattribution of autistic behaviours. If you could do that we might be able to have an actual discussion about why you support his research and we question it.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:28 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Regarding whether or not autistic people lack empathy, empathy is a complex process, and can't really be quantified in such a way that it can be said that autistic people universally have a deficit in it. That being said, empathy is typically DISORDERED in autism, but autism itself is not fundementally an EMPATHY DISORDER.

I have my doubts that Autism is fundematally any disorder. It is a spectrum condition whereby if you have most of the traits others on this spectrum typically have you should be labled or described autistic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:57 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I have my doubts that Autism is fundematally any disorder. It is a spectrum condition whereby if you have most of the traits others on this spectrum typically have you should be labled or described autistic.

Autism is no one thing. That being said, many of the traits grouped under autism have absolutely nothing to do with empathy.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:20 pm

wilburforce wrote:
That's not what B19 is saying at all. The point is that these behaviours that SBC attributed to autism are not universal to everyone on the spectrum

If you've met one person with Aspergers, you've met one person with Aspergers. Right? Or is that only right when not discussing SBC?

wilburforce wrote:
and also that the behaviour that he observed he misattributed to lack of theory of mind when there could have been many explanations for the behaviour of those children that had nothing to do with theory of mind and everything to do with sensory issues or something else about autistic perception that SBC cannot understand from his own (apparently biased) NT perspective on autistic behaviour. He cannot imagine our mindset and how it may differ from his own, so he projects his own misunderstanding onto us and says we must behave the way we do because we don't understand that other people can have different mindsets and perspectives from our own, and misattributes our behaviour because of that misunderstanding and incorrect assumption of his own. The irony of it is staggering.

Yes, you're right. I've reconsidered and you know what? Autistic people are completely normal. There is nothing wrong with us at all, how we are even classified is a mystery. Anyone that says anything negative about autistic people are just evil individuals that deserve our chastisement.

wilburforce wrote:

Thank you very much for some link to some blog, it most certainly carries more weight that scientific research. Thank you for once again asserting that autistic people are completely normal. It's not that we're lacking, it's that we simply have too much of everything. We're not disabled, we're superheros.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:38 pm

Have you had bad experiences with autistic people?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:47 pm

Chichikov wrote:
wilburforce wrote:

Thank you very much for some link to some blog, it most certainly carries more weight that scientific research. Thank you for once again asserting that autistic people are completely normal. It's not that we're lacking, it's that we simply have too much of everything. We're not disabled, we're superheros.

Thank you for showing how freaking ignorant you are. Obviously you didn't actually read what the blog says, as no where does it imply autistic people are completely normal, quite the opposite actually. That also isn't just some random blog, it's Amanda Baggs blog. You obviously don't know who she is though, otherwise you wouldn't be saying so much sarcastic nonsense.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:47 pm

Chichikov wrote:
There is nothing wrong with us at all

I am going to use my empathy and assume your intent was sarcasm. SBC fundematally agrees with this. Not literally in that all autistics are perfect but that core autistic traits are not wrong.

Off topic a but I enjoyed the section of the video where he mocks the DSM

The man agrees with the social model of disability and is against the idea of curing autism.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:50 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't have problems with language as an adult, although I had delayed language development, and I do have problems with ToM, although I am not lacking completely in ToM. I got perfect scores on SAT verbal, SAT II writing, and GRE verbal. It's very strange that you would judge that it is pretty obvious that I have problems with language.

It's obvious from the way you write, there is more to atypical language than just delays. Anyway, the point is that you DON'T completely lack ToM, but people use the failing of the test as evidence that someone completely lacks ToM.