What things negatively remind you of your past?

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

etsitakano
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2016, 2:45 am

Things that negatively remind me of my past include Jennifer Aniston, the tv show Friends, The Brady Bunch, the film Mother's Day (that was just a messed up flashback filled experience), some songs, church (when people are being obnoxious), Easter, Christmas and sometimes even suburbs. I am sick of having flashbacks to be honest.

TheForeverMan
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2016, 2:54 am

The only thing that negatively reminds me of the past, is the fact it's the past.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 4:47 pm

The things that negatively remind me of my past are sometimes movies that might contain elements of real life scenarios which have long lasting repercussions.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 1:23 pm

School.

alk123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Sep 2016, 2:16 pm

-Hospitals.
-My junior and senior high school.
-Certain songs from the mid to late 90s.
-Names.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 2:24 pm

Fingerpointing, sneering voice tones, (all that hostile I am great you are nothing stuff) remind me of some of the worst teachers at secondary school in the 1960s and of the some of the worst parents/foster parents (generally, not just mine) too. A complete absence in someone of any capacity for kindness can trigger negative memories and even induce nausea for me.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 7:53 pm

When people go Shhhh to me. Especially if I am laughing or just talking loud (when excited). There were a few people in my life who complained that I laughed too loud, and one made me feel as I was the only one in the world with autism. I really don't think she meant to make me feel like that, and that I misinterpreted her, but that doesn't mean I still didn't feel that way at first.

Last month, there was a period of 24 hours where everyone in the universe decided to shush me. :evil:

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 2:37 am

people shush me also. :|

north404

24 Sep 2016, 2:44 pm

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
Whenever I hear any news stories about kids on the spectrum being bullied, or any article about Aspies being bullied in general, it triggers me.

No one deserves to go through that kind of pain.

I had a breakdown yesterday after reading the viral Facebook post by that NJ dad about his 11 year old son's written answer being "no one" to a question asking him to name some friends. And how sometimes the boy would ask his dad if he could have a sleepover like his brothers do, but he has no answer when his dad asks who he'd have the sleepover with.

Honestly it's a bit out of character for me to be triggered by any type of readings, but I do cry a fair amount during movies/tv shows when characters remind me of myself.

To answer OP's question, what really negatively reminds me of my past is people who were involved. This doesn't even necessarily mean people who've "wronged" me, but also people that I can admit that I've wronged by not knowing better. There's certain people I feel guilt and shame for acting inappropriately and it's impossible to fix because the damage has been done and that's what they define me with; it had reached the point that they will do whatever to avoid me, and likewise, I do the same to avoid the feelings of guilt whenever I see them.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 4:36 pm

I had failed to mentioned being bullied all throughout my school years even in the workplace as well, having to deal with the repercussions of psychological abused during my early childhood years.

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2016, 6:48 pm

Just living because I am still in the dark times