Tactics of Manipulation Abusers Use On Women

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 12:14 am

Xenosparadox wrote:

Men are more physically abusive and use intimidation, I grant you that. But psychological and emotional abuse is something women employ moreso than men and it's consequences are much more enduring.

What right do you have to proclaim you're experiences with abuse by women, to be more damaging than a woman's abusive relationship with a man?! You've had a few abusive relationship with a few people, and so flipping what? That doesn't make you an expert. Believe it or not, both sexes can utilize all forms of abuse. Men can be just as manipulative as women, and women can physically abuse men.

Everyone needs to f***ing stop making everything about gender wars.

E V Tooms
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2016, 6:40 am

People with ASD are particularly vulnerable to abuse from those who are able to hide their intentions well. I would leave if anyone insulted or tried to hit me, but my father was a narcissist and I've always been vulnerable to people with personality disorders due to their specific type of psychological abuse. Being in a situation in which I can't work out someone's intentions still sends me into a tailspin of anxiety. I hate the fact my immediate impulse is to placate the person, as if they, like my father, will launch into unreasonable anger any moment. Because if this, I only like to meet men in familiar environments in which my judgement works well.

Unfortunately, my brother is in an abusive relationship at the moment. He's so stubborn that there's nothing we can do to help him except facilitate him should he wish to leave.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 7:22 am

I always told myself I was too smart to end up in an abusive relationship. I had seen so many example of them (men and women both) that I knew there was no way I could fall for it, just like I could never join a cult. Unfortunately reality didn't quite work that way. Like League_Girl said it took me a long time to accept I was being abused because she never actually hit me and when she threw things it was usually several feet away from me. It was more passive aggressive, guilt trips, walking on eggshells, emotional outbursts, etc. in other words, just like my (extended) family.

I was actually talking to my lady, who is a feminist (not man hating) about this very subject last week. We talked about what we would say if we had a daughter to her when she started dating. The biggest thing we discussed is that abusive men/boys will say or do ANYTHING at first to get you in their grasp. They are complete and utter pros at it just like my childhood bully was and know how to fake kindness and empathy. They also know how to emotionally manipulate women to make them feel dependent on them and can do it so smoothly you never see it coming.

E V Tooms wrote:
Unfortunately, my brother is in an abusive relationship at the moment. He's so stubborn that there's nothing we can do to help him except facilitate him should he wish to leave.

As is mine. He is actually coming to town soon and I am debating if it's worth my while to talk to him about what I see. He's under the delusion that he will never find another woman and it's "too late" even though he had normal, stable woman literally throw themselves at him his whole life thanks to his strong social skills. Why did he marry her? Because he felt sorry for her since she had no friends!

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 7:26 am

The love bombing... how can you tell it apart from the regular honeymoon/infatuation stage? Does it go in the feels too good to be true category?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 1:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Be really nice, sweet, buy her gifts, cook her dinner, treat her like a princess

It's not really a sign of abuse, it's a love bombing tactic abusers use to lure in their victim and then they slowly take their mask off. It's a wonder why people have PTSD after the relationship and why some don't enter another one. It's tough leaving your partner because the person you fell in love with was the person they were when you met and now that person is gone but you keep hoping that person will come back and things will get better. Abusers exploit things to manipulate their victim so they will act all nice and sweet and understanding and shower you with love and gifts and do anything for you. Then once they got you, they take their mask off.

I know that, but still doesn't make sense for those in themselves to be red flags...if they do a lot of that and than start gradually acting more cold and stand-offish then I could see having some concerns. But being concerned simply because your boyfriend is being sweet, cooking you dinner or giving you a gift doesn't make sense to me as none of those behaviors alone are abusive.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 2:01 pm

Amity wrote:
The love bombing... how can you tell it apart from the regular honeymoon/infatuation stage? Does it go in the feels too good to be true category?

Trouble with that one is you may not be able to tell it apart...basically if they gradually start acting nastier and nastier towards you after this stage that is a good indication they were luring you in rather than being genuine. But I don't think there is a clear cut way to know for sure during that infatuation stage. Maybe there are some signs that indicate lack of genuineness to look out for during that phase but not sure what exactly those would be.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 2:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Amity wrote:

Trouble with that one is you may not be able to tell it apart...basically if they gradually start acting nastier and nastier towards you after this stage that is a good indication they were luring you in rather than being genuine. But I don't think there is a clear cut way to know for sure during that infatuation stage. Maybe there are some signs that indicate lack of genuineness to look out for during that phase but not sure what exactly those would be.

I was thinking that way too, I guess for some its a balance between being cynical and taking a risk. Being genuine; things like words and actions not being consistent, also how they treat other people like service staff (the words you're next spring to mind).

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 3:08 pm

[color=#00B2FF] My Problem with these types of post is it could be very well that the 'Abuse' they (women) say happens is because they say it.

E V Tooms
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2016, 5:27 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
E V Tooms wrote:

As is mine. He is actually coming to town soon and I am debating if it's worth my while to talk to him about what I see. He's under the delusion that he will never find another woman and it's "too late" even though he had normal, stable woman literally throw themselves at him his whole life thanks to his strong social skills. Why did he marry her? Because he felt sorry for her since she had no friends!

The standard advice is that you should let the abused person know that you'll help them out if they should need it but not criticise the abuser since that would most likely be counter-productive. It depends on the person, though. I think if I were in the situation some straight talking would be helpful for me. Perhaps sound him out and see what his attitude is.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 9:44 pm

I've never been in an abusive relationship, but I was psychologically abused by some people in high school. I remember one girl would do the nit picking tactic a lot with me. She would also gaslight, twist around things that I said and make me look like someone that I wasn't. She would try to isolate me too by turning people against me and would try to keep me from making any new friends.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 10:05 pm

I was psychologically abused by a friend when I was in high school. I guess I wasn't quite normal enough and he was embarrassed of me. The term he would usually use is that I needed to be more like a "regular guy." It worked out for the best though. He decided I wasn't cool enough for him to be friends with, so I had no friends for a little while, but eventually made a few new friends.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2016, 3:03 pm

I guess there's no real way to tell the difference between love bombing and a genuinely nice person, at least at first. I think that's why abuse is so common and that's why I try to be as least judgmental as I can toward women in abusive relationships because it can happen to anyone. It's more a matter of bad luck than stupidity.

I guess the best way would be to identify the middle steps. For example, there's a difference between constructive criticism or a few negative comments here and there, and a continual pattern of negativity and dismissal.